engine life - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 11-14-2011, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Hi everyone
I am the owner of a 04 c-max 1.6 diesel, it's only done 60k and last month the head gasket went, I took it to my local trustworthy garage and the machanic discovered that where the gasket had blown it had started to eat away at the steel cylinder liners and as a result this pretty much rendered the block as scrap!

Over the years I have owned a few different makes of cars most of them high milege so you can expect problems from time to time so i'm quite guttered that with this car with relativly low milege I need to replace the engine. Has anyone else experianced a similar situation?

Paul.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-14-2011, 07:24 PM

Send a message via MSN to Big Budgie
It's not an unheard of thing to happen, and unfortunately you have been unlucky. The phenomenon is known as "wire drawing" where the hot,high pressure combustion gasses, once they have established an escape route via the failed gasket, eat into the metal either side of the failure. Depending on the level of damage, you may be able to have the top of the block surface ground in much the same way as re surfacing a cylinder head. However, the limiting factor is the amount of material which needs to be removed. Cylinder head gaskets are available in various thicknesses dependant upon how much the pistons protrude from the bores at Top Dead Centre. the gaskets range from 1.25mm to 1.45 mm so it doesn't give much room for error. In some cases it is possible to fit two gaskets, with varying degrees of success, or specially made shim plates, but that tends to be the domain of larger engines, and I'm not sure if such things are available for these engines anyway. It may be better to try and source a 2nd hand engine from a reputable breaker, or, if the cylinder head is still OK a "short block" which can be rebuilt with your existing parts.

2008 2.0 TDCi Zetec
post #3 of 3 Old 11-14-2011, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I have not heard the term "wire drawing" before but I do know that there is very high and hot pressure in each bore on the power stroke. I'm hoping that I have just been unlucky I'm going down the route of replacing the whole engine and i'm hoping that I don't have to go through this expensive experiance again. thanks. Tools.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page