c max 1.8tdci - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 05-13-2012, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

c max 1.8tdci

hi,i am going to look at a c max 1.8tdci zetec tomorrow, 2010 reg with a pretty high 63k on the clock. Its up at a ford dealer for 7495 which i thought was pretty good. Any thoughts?
How is the mpg in the real world?
Anything particularly i should look out for?

thanks

simon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-14-2012, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks
post #3 of 5 Old 05-14-2012, 03:28 PM

Send a message via MSN to Big Budgie
A car of that age shouldn't have any real problems and the high mileage shouldn't be an issue as it's mostly all probably motorway miles. If it's been serviced in line with Fords recommendations it should be ok. I assume the garage is offering a decent warranty? If not, you should haggle for a year.
I was lent a 1.8 TDCi when my own car was in for a service. Compared to the 2.0 it's a bit sluggish below 2000 rpm but picks up nicely after that. The 5 speed gearbox isn't as nice to use as the 6 speeder in the 2.0, it's a bit notchy but no worse than my old Picasso.
I filled my car up today and over the last 228 miles it took 22 litres. That works out to 47 MPG although the trip computer was saying 43.5! I had to squeeze the last Half litre in, and if I hadn't it would have been over 48.
I would think the 1.8 would be about the same, probably a little better in similar usage, and driven with a bit more reserve than I usually exercise, I would think an average of 50 would be easily achievable. There are many threads about this on this forum if you look.
There are others who are more savvy than me about common CMax faults, Suffice to say that mine hasn't missed a beat in the time I've had it so I can't really comment on what goes wrong!
Just check the usual stuff, uneven tyre wear, etc. Cmaxes seem to be a bit heavy on tyres so make sure there's plenty of life in them. I put a set of New Cooper Weathermaster tyres on mine in November and the front's are nearly half worn after only about 3000 miles (Max) My son has the same tyres on his Xsara 2.0HDi and his are less worn after 2 winters and many more miles! They started off at 7.5 mm, the fronts are just over 4mm and the rears are 6.8!

2008 2.0 TDCi Zetec

post #4 of 5 Old 05-14-2012, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

hi, thanks for this, i had a look and it seemed good. However i decided not too as i do 15k a year and so would soon stack the miles up. Im going to have a look for a car of a similar price but maybe a couple of years older but hopefully with around 40k on the clock.
Not too fussed whether 1.8 or 2.0 tdci, although i believe the 1.6 can give some issues...
Thanks again
post #5 of 5 Old 05-17-2012, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

im having a change of thought on this as it seems a good price so prob going to have a look over the weekend. i have a nissan x trail at the mo--dci, which except for fuel consumption--approx 38mpg, is a fantastic car. im just after something a bit better on tax/fuel..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page