A big hello - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 05-26-2010, 04:11 AM Thread Starter

Hi, im new to this forum and would like to say a big hello to all fellow c max owners on this forum. I currently own an 05 1.6 zetec focus c max iv had it for a couple of week now and all seemed ok untill i went away for the weekend last week the drive down was fine untill we pulled over for a break at a burger van i noticed the temp gauge had soared into the red but whilst i was driving it was fine i emptied some of the water as it was filled well over the max line. we drove on and got to where we were going and it happened again whilst the car was ticking over, the temp went back in to the red and the on board comp notified me of high engine temps. im a bit baffled by this and dont pretend to know much about engines. iv noticed the engine cooling fan isnt kicking in as i thought it shoud as the engine temps elevate but also the a/c isnt working either, the pully on the bottom crank isnt spinning when i turn the a/c on. i have checked fuses and relays all seem fine but thats as far asmy knloedge goes.I appreciate any advice shed on this subject and hope to get it sorted soon all the best ste.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-26-2010, 04:47 AM

Mmm -firstly welcome.
You say the water was above the max mark- this concerns me a little-Is it clean and is there any sign of oil in it?
The fan's not running so there could be a fault with the fan thermostatic switch- if you can locate that removing the connector and shorting it out should cause the fan to run which wouldidentify if the switch was shot.
Possibly the thermostat is stuck shut?
Not sure what the bottom pulley drives, is it spinning with air con off?
The air con not functioning shouldn't cause overheating.
i'm sure someone on here will have a bit more knowledge of the foibles of petrol CMax.
good luck

57 Titanium 1.6 110 DPF, X Sport pack, panoramic roof,Sony 6 CD changer with voice control bluetooth.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-26-2010, 04:57 AM Thread Starter

Hi fella and thanks for the quick reply. Firstly i actually topped up the water my self in a shell garage but it was dark and couldnt see the fill marks but didnt think it would cause a problem lol mmm the water looks pink like engine coolant i think but its deffinatley clear. im not sure where to look for the thermostatic switch is that on the back of the fan??? secondly my mate has a 1.6 zafira and when he turns on his a/c a pully on the bottom of his engine spins he thought this should also be the case with mine as they are similar engines but i get nothing no spinning no sound no increase in revs. cheers for your help fella.

post #4 of 6 Old 05-26-2010, 02:02 PM

Welcome to the C-Max Owners Club.

Ford C-Max Zetec 1.6 TDCI - In Moondust Silver
post #5 of 6 Old 05-26-2010, 05:07 PM

Hi & welcome to the club.
I had a problem last year with my cooling fan.
Got a/c topped up only to find I needed a new condenser.This was done & they told me the fan did not come on when the a/c was used & not to use tha a/c till I`d had the fan looked at.I got a local auto sparkie to have a look & he found the wiring had broken but you could not tell as the outer plastic covering was still intact.He replace all wiring connected with the fan & is now fine.He said it was not the first ford he had repaired although it was the first C-max (rest having been Focus).After having done an extensive searh of the wiring,replaced the lot (we put a new fan in as a precaution) the total was about 200 which I thought was brilliant.
Don`t take it to ford as they will charge you a fortune & may not even solve the problem.
Hope this is of use to you.
MM

MetalMicky ( Mike)

2004 2.0 TDCI Zetec
post #6 of 6 Old 05-26-2010, 05:22 PM

[QUOTE=siddall280]im not sure where to look for the thermostatic switch is that on the back of the fan??? QUOTE]

There will be a wire from the motor on the back of the fan. Part of that loom will go to the switch - I suspect either on the radiator or into the cooling system somewhere near the thermostat housing.
I am not too familiar with the workings of the aircon so can't advise whetherthe 2 are relatedI assume if the aircon worked before the overheating that is highly likely.

57 Titanium 1.6 110 DPF, X Sport pack, panoramic roof,Sony 6 CD changer with voice control bluetooth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page