and another ....(newbie, that is!) - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 03-17-2011, 04:13 AM Thread Starter

Hi,

I have just agreed to purchase a C Max after 8 consecutive years of running SEAT Alhambra's (I'm on my third).
With the recent and ongoing fuel price hikes I am hoping that the C Max will deliver more than the 36 - 38 mpg (measured) that I was able to wring out of the SEAT on my 400 mile weekly commute.
As my round trip involves about 100 miles of Motorway each way I would hope that this engine gets the workout it needs to avoid some of the issues I have read about elsewhere.

The main reason for the post is to ask, as this is the first Ford I will have owned for a very long time, whether anyone has compiled a list of do's and don'ts or things to be aware of with either the C Max or Fords in general? For example, I will have a 2 year warranty from date of purchase but was rather surprised to find that there was no option to purchase an extra year at the end of this period. Does anyone have thoughts as to whether an aftermarket warranty is worth the money? On a more practical level, are there any minor mods worth fitting (K&N air filter), recommended tyres to go for etc. (I am very keen to use Falkens, for example)? What about things to avoid, for example vulnerable or delicate trim?

Looking forward to a enjoyable ownership (with fingers crossed!) any observations would be appreciated.

Regards

And3T

Black 59 Plate 1.6L TDCi Titanium/Privacy/Parking/USB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-17-2011, 09:24 PM

Hi, welcome to the Club!As with all Diesels, give it a bit of a thrash once in a while to spool the Turbo up and clean the EGR Valve out, it'll smoke a bit initially but not afterwards, also helps come MOT time ( not that yours is needed for another couple of years! ).You mention trim being brittle, C-Max is not too bad, except Boot trims mark easily, if you owned a MK1 Alhambra this'll be better ( speaker grilles, Rear seat trims, cup holders to name a few ) if you owned a Mk2 your Door handles will not perish as bad[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img].Make sure regular Oil changes are done as the Turbo Oil feed can clog up, although if your doing long journeys I'd expect this to be OK.I get mine Main dealer serviced ( until third year! ) and I do an Oil and filter in between, better too often than not enough.

2010 Titanium 2.0 TDCI Panther Black.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-18-2011, 01:55 AM

Hi And3T & welcome[img]smileys/smiley31.gif[/img],I think Kevmond has covered all bases.I have a K&N fitted to my 2.0 as well as a Tunit[img]smileys/smiley15.gif[/img] box.The air filter gives a slightly gruffer note ( as well as helping the engine breath better) & with the Tunit I have a huge power range & very good mpg too ((65+ at M/way speeds).MM

MetalMicky ( Mike)

2004 2.0 TDCI Zetec

post #4 of 7 Old 03-18-2011, 02:52 AM Thread Starter

Gents,

Thank you for the responses. [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

Some of the posts I have read (on a variety of sites) vary in their praise / condemnation for Ford products. The magazines I read are almost universal in putting the Focus / Mondeo and their derivatives either at the top of the pile or very near. However, my impression is that the cars and engines are more "brittle" than the equivalent VW units and therefore need a greater degree of TLC! Hence anything I can do to keep everything pristine the better.

Kevmond; Which oil do you recommend? I read that the Ford engine is quite particular.

MM; I have looked at tunits for years and never quite worked up to buying one. You obviously seem quite impressed? I would be interested in your experience with the unit.

Thanks once again for the welcome.

Regards

And3T

post #5 of 7 Old 03-18-2011, 04:05 AM

Hi, Taken from ETis:<table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="100%" border="1">
<t>
<tr>
<td></td></tr></t></table>
<div ="er">Service Information

Engine oils - Petrol and Diesel Engines
All vehicles except Ka 2009 (08/2008-) Petrol and Diesel
Engines, Galaxy 1995 (02/1995-03/2000) with 1,9L Diesel, Galaxy 2000.75
(04/2000-02/2006) with 1.9L Diesel build from 08/98 onwards and Focus RS 2004.75
(03/2009-)
<table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="100%" summary=" All vehicles except Ka 2009 08/2008- Petrol and Diesel Engines, Galaxy 1995 02/1995-03/2000 with 1,9L Diesel, Galaxy 2000.75 04/2000-02/2006 with 1.9L Diesel build from 08/98 &#111;nwards and Focus RS 2004.75 03/2009-" border="1">
<colgroup>
<col align="middle">
<col align="middle">
<col align="middle">
<col align="middle">
<col align="middle">
<col align="middle"></colgroup>
<t valign="bottom">
<tr>
<th align="middle" colspan="3">Recommended engine oils</th>
<th align="middle" colspan="3">Engine oils for topping-up only if recommended oils
are not available</th></tr>
<tr>
<th align="middle">Name</th>
<th align="middle">Viscosity</th>
<th align="middle">Specification</th>
<th align="middle">Name</th>
<th align="middle">Viscosity</th>
<th align="middle">Specification*</th></tr></t>
<t valign="top">
<tr>
<td>Ford Formula F</td>
<td rowspan="2">SAE 5W-30</td>
<td rowspan="2">WSS-M2C913-C</td>
<td rowspan="2">-</td>
<td>SAE 5W-30</td>
<td>ACEA A5/B5</td></tr>
<tr>
<td>Castrol SLX Professional Longtec A5; Castrol Magnatec Professional A1 </td>
<td></td>
<td></td></tr></t></table>

* The ACEA specifications use the combined suffices A1/B1, A3/B3, A3/B4 &
A5/B5 to describe the performance level of oils for petrol engines and light
duty diesel engines. A5/B5 describes the specifications of oils that are stable,
stay-in-grade, intended for use at extended drain intervals in high performance
petrol engines and light duty diesel engines designed to be capable of using low
friction low viscosity oils with a high temperature / high shear rate (HTHS)
viscosity of 2.9 to 3.5 mPa.s.

2010 Titanium 2.0 TDCI Panther Black.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-19-2011, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks for the info, kevmond.

Following your post I did a little research online (I found talkford.com useful). There are some debates around on current ford oils as the 5W-30 Ford Formula F is now an fully synthetic ACEA A5 oil, whereas the castrol magnatec is a semi synthetic A1 (ie lower spec) oil as well as provoking some comments from debates a few years ago when Formula E was the norm.
If using either of the latter 2 I would have thought that your policy of oil changing every 6k is sound, but would anticipate that the use of the former would negate the requirement, especially if, as in my case the mileage covered is of a reasonable variety.

Regards

Andy

And3T

post #7 of 7 Old 04-06-2011, 03:23 AM Thread Starter

Well, after battling through traffic last Friday, eventually arrived at the dealer, we completed and I am now the owner of a C Max! [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Following the trip home and my return to work it has already had 500 miles put on it and the engine sounds a lot better already (It was last serviced in October and has done less than 150 miles in that time).
Not really tried to monitor fuel consumption, but on a variety of roads and not driving particularly economically I estimate it is returning about mid to high 40's. Will know when I next fill it.
Only issue is with the 12V supply in the centre console - doesn't work. Spoken to Ford and they think it is a separate fuse on the passenger side fuse box. Can anyone tell me how to get into the fuses and identify which fuse it might be (I am awaiting a C Max handbook as I found I had been given one for a standard Focus).
Otherwise I am very impressed with the car and am looking forward to a lng and happy relationship (If I can only figure out the settings on the audio unit.....!). [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]

And3T

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page