2nd Hand C-max in Munich - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 06-06-2012, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

2nd Hand C-max in Munich

hi,

my family (mrs + 2 kids aged 8&6) have just moved to Munich from London & need to buy a car. We had a new c-max diesel as a hire car for 10 days & my (nervous driver) Mrs really liked it.

We are currently thinking:
- manual
- diesel
- 116 PS engine
- maybe Grand variant

any general tips or suggestions? how about zetec vs titanium, etc

& just saw this ad Ford C-Max 1.6 TDCi DPF Grand Trend / Diesel :
AHG Ford

thanks, Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-06-2012, 11:57 AM

that's quite an impressive spec
from Google translate for those who's German may be.......

• Ford warranty protection letter three years 60 000 KM
• AUTHORIZED FORD DEALERS
• Anti-lock braking system (ABS)
• Audio System: Radio / CD player with multi-function display
• Electric wing mirror. adjustable and heated
• Exterior mirrors in body color
• Outside temperature display
• On-board computer
• Roof rails (aluminum)
• Instrument lighting dimmer
• Electric Brake force distribution
• electron. Stability Program (ESP)
• Elimination 3.Sitzreihe
• Vehicle key (2) Folding
• Power windows front rear
• cargo cover / shade
• Drinks holders in front
• 6-speed gearbox - Type: B6
• LED tail lights
• Intelligent Protection System (IPS)
• Isofix child seat for shooting
• Body: 5-door
• Parental control electrically
• Air Conditioning
• lumbar support on front left seat
• steering column (steering wheel), adjustable in height along
• Central console
• 1.6 ltr engine - 85 kW TDCi KAT
• Emergency Brake Assist
• rear Park Pilot system
• Tire Repair Kit
• particulate filter
• Emissions standard emission standard Stage 5 / € 5
• Electric Power Steering
• Seat height adjustable front left
• Heated front seats
• Special paint metallic
• Dust and pollen filter
• socket (12V-connection) in the boot
• Daytime Running Lights
• the outside door handles in body color
• Heat protection glazing
• immobilizer
• Central locking with remote control
• Fuel consumption: city: 5.8 l/100km
• Fuel consumption outside cities: 4.4 l/100 km
• Combined fuel consumption: 4.9 l/100km
• Emissions: 130 g / km

It depends on what type of driving you think you may be doing
As to price I don't know what the Munich prices are compared to London, not withstanding the € conversion rate either

Not certain either when the first TUV test is due or what the requirements are (have got a question to TUV UK on this for another matter)

Richard
54 Plate 1.6 TDCI LX ~aspiring to be something else
post #3 of 11 Old 06-06-2012, 06:10 PM

I will never buy modern diesel ever again till they sort the DPF situation out. It can cause umpteen amounts of problems. 2 people at my work place, one has a brand new Audi with DPF failure already, another has a 2009 vw golf which has DPF problems monthly due to her "town driving" Ha Ha Ha. A car should be driven in any situation not just motorways you Idiots.
I got rid of my last car cause replacement for a Dpf was 1200 and it HAS to be replaced every 6 years or 75 k, whichever comes first. Appalling.

Blue 2 Litre Diesel Ghia ,2005, Front and rear parking sensors,fridge, sony 6 cd player, Full cream leather interior.Favourite of all-sunroof for those hot British summers

post #4 of 11 Old 06-06-2012, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

DPF? for the last 10 years i was in car clubs while living in London & therefore hopelessly outdated about car ownership. I thought DPF was just a filtering thing for the exhaust?

whats the general view on Grand Vs normal C Max? As someone quite tall, i like the idea of extra headroom. I doubt we would use the 2 additional seats much.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-06-2012, 07:54 PM

[QUOTE=Mymus;65277]. I thought DPF was just a filtering thing for the exhaust?
QUOTE]

DPF or diesel particulate filter is in effect a filter in the exhaust that catches the small particles of carbon (soot) that all diesels put out

It can get partially or fully blocked if the exhaust temperature does not get high enough to "burn" the soot off the catalyst but I've never heard of a compulsory replacement if there is not an excessive pressure drop across it (various after market firms can now do a reasoanable cleaning job as well)

As the emission standards go past Euro V & VI it appears from research papers that I've read that cars will also have to soon have the "Adblue" type aditives rather than the current tank and the use of DPF or more advanced will only get more prevalent

I don't know if it will ever get to be needed with petrol but as they slow the speed of the flame front travel down so as to limit the formation of NOx (that which depletes Ozone layer) then it is possible

Richard
54 Plate 1.6 TDCI LX ~aspiring to be something else
post #6 of 11 Old 06-06-2012, 09:47 PM

Richards explanation is more than enough to want any sane person to stay well clear of modern diesels. God awful things.

Blue 2 Litre Diesel Ghia ,2005, Front and rear parking sensors,fridge, sony 6 cd player, Full cream leather interior.Favourite of all-sunroof for those hot British summers
post #7 of 11 Old 06-06-2012, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

personally, i rather prefer the more Torquey feel of a diesel.
not as good for thrasing about, but great for normal every day stuff.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-06-2012, 11:09 PM

Sorry what I meant to say was modern diesels are great, BUT with the DPF'S spoiling things the fun will come at a cost. Some say take it on a good run and keep revs high, but even then you can get problems.
The DPF started rolling out in big numbers around the 2006 mark. More and more garages are reporting DPF failures due to the 6 year refurb. Some garages claim to do quick fixes but ultimately dont fix the problem. Highly complex issues surround the DPF. You have to reset computer after fitting, you also have to top up the eolys fluid tank every 3 years which is an additive for the dpf to help it regenerate, God I'm boring myself to death with this rubbish now. You have been warned.

post #9 of 11 Old 06-07-2012, 12:20 PM

Send a message via MSN to Big Budgie
I have still no idea whether mine has a DPF or not. All I know is that I have never been aware of any regeneration process taking place and have never seen a warning light to that effect. I use a fuel additive called "Mergi" http://www.mergi.co.uk or http://www.mergi.com which is meant to promote a more complete combustion, leading to lower emissions and better MPG. I got my car last August with 14500 miles up. It now has 21500 and the MPG has increased from about 42.5 when I got it,to 47 or so over that time. Worked out the old way, not according to the trip computer. Whether that is down to the engine loosening up, my driving style, or the Mergi is open to debate. All I know is, I had similar results on my last two cars and my sons old 1.4i Petrol Citroen ZX went from an average of 38 mpg to nearly 45 when we started using it in that. It also "cured" a misfire at idle which I had been unable to sort. That car had over 120K on it at the time!
My theory is that, due to improved combustion, I am getting less particulates anyway, and so the DPF, if fitted, is not getting choked. Any comments on this will be welcome!

2008 2.0 TDCi Zetec
post #10 of 11 Old 06-07-2012, 02:19 PM

With you having a 2008 model I will be surprised if you don't have one. If you do have one your car tax is usually lower than mine, which is 135 annually. When I owned the Ford Focus 1.6 tdci (dpf), the tax was 95 for the year,some more modern versions are even around the 35 mark. The few times I knew the car was going through a regeneration was on the motorway and I could smell a slight metal burn and the engine would make a different sound. I loved that little car, but the DPF forced my hand. My wife still pines for that motor.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page