1.6 petrol or 1.6 tdci ? - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 03-27-2010, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Hi all
my name is chris i brought a 06 1.6 zetec petrol cmax last year and have tried all sorts of things to get the mpg up the most i can get is 35.4. the miles i do on a daily basis are 22 work miles 11 each way. i have resigned myself to the fact that i should be looking at a 1.6 tdci cmax or a 2.0 tdci. Now then my question is will a 1.6 tdci or a 2.0 tdci benifit me anymore than a petrol considering my low amount of daily miles,ive heard diesels dont like short trips, is 11 miles considered a short trip? iam a bit reluctent to sell the car as i have had no problems with it, it is just the mpg and a little under powered when trying to overtake.

Thankyou for reading my post will look forward to reading all your replys
Cheers

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-27-2010, 03:53 PM

Hello Chris,

I recently bought a 2.0 tdci to tow our caravan. To be honest I wouldn't have considered a diesel if I didn't have to tow. Most of our driving is for very short journeys. I now find myself having to go the 'scenic route' to some places in order to make sure I warm the car up as much as I can. Needless to say this is not helping my mpg!

35 mpg isn't bad for a fairly hefty vehicle and I wouldn't be concerned about it. My car is averaging 44 mpg and I couldn't drive any more economically if I tried - and believe me, I have.

My advice would be to stay with what you have. Generally speaking pentrol engined cars are less problematic. Others might disagree.

Tony

2009 2.0 Tdci Zetec
post #3 of 7 Old 03-27-2010, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply tony
Does anyone else want to reply?

Cheers
Chris

post #4 of 7 Old 03-27-2010, 04:41 PM

I have no experience of CMax diesels per se, as I also drive a 1.6 petrol, but I do know someone who drives a 2.0 Avensis diesel. He sometimes gets over 50mpg on a long run, but only 25mpg around town and about 35mpg on a short commute, like the one you do. In my Cmax I get 33mpg around town, and about 40mpg on a long run, and, like you, somewhere in between on average. Given that I do only 5,000 miles a year, and most of that is flitting about, I reason that I am perhaps a little worse off in terms of mpg, using a petrol engine, but given the kind of driving I do, the difference is very marginal. If I drove a big mileage and took a lot of long journeys then, no doubt, a diesel would be a much better option. Methinks that if you want 40+ mpg guaranteed whilst doing any kind of commuting then you should be looking for a much smaller car.

The other points of consideration simply echo those made above. The impression, at least from this site, is that the petrol engines are more reliable. I may be wrong about this, given that diesel owners far outweigh petrol owners hereabouts, but I, at least, have avoided any 'out of hours' expenditure on my Cmax.

Edited by: romseyraver
post #5 of 7 Old 03-27-2010, 05:27 PM

I have a 1.6 tdi which I bought 3 weeks ago it is returning between 45 and 48 mpg plus its 120.. road tax well pleased with mpg haveing said that its the reason why I bought it and mpg is also just running round local only thing you will have is finding one there are not many around I had to travel35 miles to find mine

08 mk2 1800tdi zetec cmax and focus RS mk1 for a big boys toy
post #6 of 7 Old 03-27-2010, 11:42 PM

Welcome to the C-Max Owners Club.

Davy

Ford C-Max Zetec 1.6 TDCI - In Moondust Silver
post #7 of 7 Old 03-28-2010, 01:48 AM

I too have the 1.6 TDCI and get around 45 MPG just about whatever. In recent we have had 55 MPG out of it even with the cold weather, this I think is down to a K&N panel filter allowing the turbo to spin up just that little bit earlier due to a slightly better manifold pressure due to less drop across the filter.
As to VED, from April those 1.6 TDCI that only have 129 gCO2 per KM will have the figure go down to 90 (It should have been last April but them in No 11 didn't want to pay it back

Richard
54 Plate 1.6 TDCI LX ~aspiring to be something else
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page