winter tyres - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 08-14-2012, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

winter tyres

Yep i no its hot and sunny and i must be mad but i phoned up some tyre dealers today and asked about winter tyres and got a deal on 2 new kleber krisalp hp2's [made by michelin] for 160 the pair all in fitted wont get them till mid sept and a free tracking check as well pay for adjustment if needed . could have had budget brands cheaper.
Was told by dealers not many people ask in the summer they said any time now start getting quotes for winter tyres as you can sometimes get deals before winter comes and prices go up .

2008 1.6 tdci titanium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-15-2012, 09:33 AM

Send a message via MSN to Big Budgie
That's odd! Kleber are considered a "budget" brand up here, as you say, a cheaper alternative made by Michelin, in itself no great recommendation as far as I'm concerned. Have to say their Alpine winter tyre is good, but I'm not impressed with their standard "summer" offerings. I find them noisy on the road, not particularly good in the wet, and the "Energy" tyres fitted to my Xantia when I got it did not deliver the 5% extra MPG they rave about. In fact, I got better mileage when I fitted Toyo "Snowprox" and ran them winter and summer. They were quieter, grippier and were amazing in the snow. Wet performance was excellent too. They were 120 a pair fitted as against nearly 100 EACH for the Michelins. I got about 20K from a pair so wear wasn't a great issue. The Michelins would have given more miles, but the Toyos were ahead on miles per pound.

2008 2.0 TDCi Zetec
post #3 of 12 Old 08-15-2012, 04:01 PM

I like to hear people's opinions of tyres, because now I have original wheels for this car I will be replacing the front tyres. Very important decision to make about fitting right tyres, so I will take my time.

Blue 2 Litre Diesel Ghia ,2005, Front and rear parking sensors,fridge, sony 6 cd player, Full cream leather interior.Favourite of all-sunroof for those hot British summers

post #4 of 12 Old 08-15-2012, 05:03 PM

Garage
I have continental winter tiers not happy at all
Had Michelin before and they where great.

C-max 2.0 TDCi Series 45

Some modified
post #5 of 12 Old 08-15-2012, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

I had a look on the mytyres web site and went thru all makes of winter tyre and the klebers are a mid priced tyre . Budget tyres are some makes that i have never heard of. My normal summer tyres are goodyear nct5 that were on the car when i bought it and they are good a little bit noisy but grips ok .

2008 1.6TDCi titanium 17 inch tyres

Last edited by bryans max; 08-15-2012 at 08:35 PM.
post #6 of 12 Old 08-16-2012, 01:35 PM

Hi Bryans Max

I have 4 winter tyres on 16" steel rims Pirelles on them with at least 5mm tread on them, i got them with my car as spares but dont think i will ever put them on the car so selling them. open to offers.........

Focus C Max 2.0TDCi GHIA 2004 04 plate, LED footwell lights, boot LED light, Map reading Lights LED's and painted green brake calipers, Ford green and black coloured gel badges.

In the pipe line: Twin DVD head rest sets and new stereo.
post #7 of 12 Old 08-16-2012, 04:09 PM

I looked at these after a visit to a truck show Car Snow Socks | Snow Socks | Auto Sock | AutoSock UK

Richard
54 Plate 1.6 TDCI LX ~aspiring to be something else
post #8 of 12 Old 08-16-2012, 06:23 PM

To Supercmaxer. I think you'd be daft to sell the steels & winter tyres. They are immensely superior to standard summer tyres for at least the 6 months (up here) when the temperature falls below 7 deg C. You can get a cheap set of trims and you will not only be one h**l of a lot safer, but you'll save your nice alloys from damage from salt/grit etc. My car feels a great deal more "planted" on the steels & winter tyres than it does on the alloys fitted with summer tyres. Quieter on the road too oddly enough! It may have something to do with the "Fullrun" budget crap fitted to the front axle which are truly awful! I'll be replacing all four "summer" tyres next spring when the steels and Cooper winter tyres come off. Anyone got experience of Goodyear Efficient grip or Optigrip? Both available at a not too bad price at my local fitters.

2008 2.0 TDCi Zetec
post #9 of 12 Old 08-16-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Budgie View Post
To Supercmaxer. I think you'd be daft to sell the steels & winter tyres. They are immensely superior to standard summer tyres for at least the 6 months (up here) when the temperature falls below 7 deg C. You can get a cheap set of trims and you will not only be one h**l of a lot safer, but you'll save your nice alloys from damage from salt/grit etc. My car feels a great deal more "planted" on the steels & winter tyres than it does on the alloys fitted with summer tyres. Quieter on the road too oddly enough! It may have something to do with the "Fullrun" budget crap fitted to the front axle which are truly awful! I'll be replacing all four "summer" tyres next spring when the steels and Cooper winter tyres come off. Anyone got experience of Goodyear Efficient grip or Optigrip? Both available at a not too bad price at my local fitters.
I think it was Efficient grip I had on front that are now on rear when I had to have new Dunlop Fastrack ~a deal with HiQ via family

Richard
54 Plate 1.6 TDCI LX ~aspiring to be something else
post #10 of 12 Old 08-17-2012, 09:16 AM

Richard, how do you rate them for wear, grip, and most importantly to me, NOISE? I cannot abide a noisy tyre, which is one reason I didn't like the Michelin Energy tyres on my Xantia. I note that you have had them both on front and rear so, did you notice a difference when you put them on the rear and put the Dunlops on the front?
One of the problems we have here, is that the local council use surface dressing with hot tar and chips to make the road surface more grippy for winter time. This surface creates a great deal of road roar with certain tyres, the Michelins (Xantia) were appalling on it but the Toyos hardly made a noise at all! The Cooper Weathermasters are also quite quiet on it, but the Contis (on the rear) and the Fullrun rubbish are deafening by comparison!

2008 2.0 TDCi Zetec
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page