wing mirror - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 02-20-2012, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to big bird69 Send a message via MSN to big bird69 Send a message via Yahoo to big bird69
hi i just wondered how hard it was to replace the glass in a wing mirror on a ghia model many thanks

2007 1.8 ghia moondust silver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-21-2012, 07:47 AM

Send a message via MSN to Big Budgie
According to Mr Haynes it is tricky rather than difficult. The passage from his "bible" is as follows:
"It is strongly recommended that gloves are worn.Also consider covering the glass with masking tape to avoid injury from glass shards.
Pull the outer edge of the glass rearwards, insert a plastic trim removal tool and gently lever the glass from place. We found the mirror difficult to release from the locking tab. It would be very easy to slip and break the glass or the mirror frame.
Withdraw the glass and disconnect the wiring connectors from heated mirrors."

The illustration shows the mirror being held at the outer end with the "tool" being used to lever behind the glass at the inner end. The next illustration (with glass removed) shows a locking tab on the inner end of the electric swivel assembly. It is this tab which they say is difficult to release.
If your glass is already broken, it may be easier to try to remove the remains from the plastic backing before continuing. It looks as though the glass slides outwards once the tab is released. The picture is not that clear though. Might be better to ask the dealers how it's done. I assume you'll have to get the glass from them anyway.

I recall another car I had, in which the manual said to swivel the mirror as far outwards as it would go in order to reach and release the lock tab before swivelling back the other way to allow removal. You may be able to see the tab they mention with a small mirror if you do that. I've not taken them apart on the CMax, but the one I did do was awkward as well.

2008 2.0 TDCi Zetec
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page