Will this improve fuel consumption?????????????? - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 07-14-2008, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Just been listening to local radio and someone mentioned that you can fit something to a diesel engine that will improve power and therefore reduce fuel consumption by between 8 or 11 miles per gallon because you can use fifth gear and not have to change down. *They also said it works by doing something to the air (sorry for being vague, I don't know much about engines) apparently 50% of the air around the engine is wasted and this gadget makes sure this air is used more efficently on common rail diesels.

Is this right, has anyone had this gadget fitted to their Cmax and seen improvement in fuel economy? *It costs about 275.

Would be grateful for any info'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-14-2008, 04:05 PM

Sounds like an ECU chip or plugin. Theres various ones available on ebay and other websites.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-14-2008, 05:46 PM

Yep, sounds alot like a mod chip.

There are many companies that make these "chips" that alter the factory settings so that you can obtain more top end power or a bit more power but gain in MPG.
These can be fitted by the company or by you by just plugging it into the ECU.

The cost, as said, can be between 250 & 500.

Example being this from DieselBob: http://www.dieselbob.co.uk/easytune_common.asp

Cost is 254 + VAT

Just google "diesel chip" and have a look around!

post #4 of 12 Old 07-14-2008, 10:21 PM

I have a Tunit plug in,cost 400 approx.Definately improved mpg & tourque,you can vary amount of extra power you want.I have mine set on 5 & mpg for my 2.0TDCI has gone up from35 round town to 43+,I also added a new air filter which has helped too,can get 50/55mpg+ on a run at speeds of 80

post #5 of 12 Old 07-15-2008, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Guys. Always good to hear of peeps who have had experience of using products. I never quite believe what I hear, especially from salesmen. *Again another benefit of a site like this. *I'm sure we'll keep up the good work.

Margaret
post #6 of 12 Old 07-16-2008, 10:35 PM

I don't mean to sound unduly negative, but be careful with this sort of expensive modification - manufacturers often claim far more benefit than you will really get. Do the sums - how long will it take you to pay back the 275? Several years maybe, depending on your mileage?
post #7 of 12 Old 07-17-2008, 04:18 PM

With the Tunit system,I can transfer it to any other car with the same engine,so if I don`t want another C-Max {not gonna happen},you cah fit it to any Citroen or Pug as it`s the same,if you speak to Tunit,they`ll probably tell you it will fit a whole lot more engines as well.So it may be expensive to start with,but if you plan well enough,you can save loads.

post #8 of 12 Old 07-17-2008, 05:13 PM

The way the price of diesel is going, I would say within 6 months
post #9 of 12 Old 07-17-2008, 06:35 PM

hi all justbe aware that you have to tell your insurance company as youhave modified the car as they are looking for these tune up kits, anything to get out of paying up in case of any claims. some dont mind but others will put your insurance up, how do i know this its because the wife is an insurance broker. or make sure you hid it well out of site like i have done to her 2.0tdci.she told me today that a claim she was dealing with has not paid out due to the car had the wrong speed rating on the tyres.

early mornings are us
post #10 of 12 Old 07-18-2008, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Wher's a good place to hide it and surely it would show up on the car's computer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page