Where to purchase a spare wheel/brace/jack/tyre; instead of using the supplied gunk - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 05-19-2012, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Where to purchase a spare wheel/brace/jack/tyre; instead of using the supplied gunk

I have a Ford C-Max standard size (5 door) which I purchased as new in June 2011. It's a Titanium model 1.6 petrol. Again, I also have an issue with the fact there's no spare wheel to hand, just the bottle of gunk with the compressor kit etc.

I would like to get a spare wheel/brace/jack etc but I'm unsure as to what wheel size I would need and where to order the items from. I checked with my dealer and they said the wheel (a steel one) is 60 + vat and the brace and jack 80.00 + vat. I would then need to pay for a tyre and fitting on-top-of-that.

My tyre indicates a size of 215/50/ZA17

Any advice or help would be much appreciated.

Michael

Nottingham
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-20-2012, 10:10 AM

Send a message via MSN to Big Budgie
It depends whether you want a full size spare or a space saver. If you want full size, buy a 2nd hand steel rim from a breaker and put a part worn or budget tyre on it. You may have issues getting it to fit the spare wheel well and some people have "boosted" the boot floor with insulation board (With a hole in the middle) or similar. You will also need 5 Nuts for the steel wheel as they're different to the alloy ones.
There are quite a few Ford Space saver spares advertised on Ebay at present. I'm not sure exactly, but the one from the Mondeo should be OK. It's ex Mondeo steel rims that I have for my winter tyres.
I can't help with a jack I'm afraid, although again there are a few on ebay, whether it will be the right one for the Max, I couldn't say.

2008 2.0 TDCi Zetec
post #3 of 7 Old 05-20-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Budgie View Post
There are quite a few Ford Space saver spares advertised on Ebay at present. I'm not sure exactly, but the one from the Mondeo should be OK. It's ex Mondeo steel rims that I have for my winter tyres.
I can't help with a jack I'm afraid, although again there are a few on ebay, whether it will be the right one for the Max, I couldn't say.
There are various previous posts on here (I can't of course find them at present) as to the actual size of the spacesaver tyre

As to the jack I had to replace the "as supplied" and found that the local Fraud Dealer price was about the same as the ebay offerings. You might be able to get a better deal with some of the online Ford parts people such ashttp://www.fordpartsuk.com/

Ford_Focus_C-Max_Lifting_Jack_2003-2006_-_Parts_Shop_-_FordPartsUK.pdf

Richard
54 Plate 1.6 TDCI LX ~aspiring to be something else

post #4 of 7 Old 05-20-2012, 04:02 PM

See they are charging 44 for the jack alone, the Ford option fitted new for a spare wheel (spacsaver) was only 75 which we took.

12 plate 1.6 Titanium Grand
post #5 of 7 Old 05-22-2012, 08:42 PM

Hiya radioman35, I am a Vaux Meriva B Model ie. suicide door model owner (sorry to all you cmax owners). I had the same trouble getting a spare wheel from my local Arnold clark dealer instead of a gunk kit. They didnt even know what size tyre I should buy for the steel wheel they sold me. I even rang Vauxhall headquarters, after two days they finally got back to me with a size but I couldnt find the size tyre on any website or at any tyre dealers. I eventually found one on Ebay but not been able to find any more since so I hope I dont need another whilst I own this car. I now have a full size sparewheel which only just fits in the wheelwell with a good press down. Thanks to BigBudgie I now know I need some steel wheel nuts cos I have alloys on my Meriva. I was hoping to be a Cmax owner earlier in the year but I missed a good deal so I`ll just wait a while till I find another deal. These `Turbo` Merivas arent all they`re cracked up to be. Cheers Cmaxers
post #6 of 7 Old 05-22-2012, 09:25 PM

Hello Radioman35,
As Richard G says, there are lots of post on the club forum regarding spare wheels. Following the advice I checked out "247Spares" and "Partsgateway" Just search for them in Google.
Parts Gateway sent me a brand new, space saver with brace and jack. I took out the Gunk padding in the wheel well and it fitted perfectly. I fixed a long bolt to a piece of wood (with Chemical Metal) and that screws the spare down securely to prevent rattles etc.
Hope this helps and -- Welcome to the Club.
Rolo.

2009(10reg)1.8TDCi115Titanium
post #7 of 7 Old 06-03-2012, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for all your advice and comments made; I will certainly look into all this, and will let you know how i get on. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page