Washer Water Loss - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 10-01-2010, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

Hi
As I mentioned in my initial, newbie message, the washer water container has a mysterious loss of contents when car is driven - rather inconvenient as this is when the washer is needed! There is no loss when vehicle parked, engine running or not.

Garage had the car today and said that only a cupful of water had been lostduring their road test. They reckon that the container is designed to release some water if icy to prevent rupture. If filled to the top, a certain amount of water is let go. They advised me not to fill it to the top and everything should be ok. After approx10 miles, one pint is needed to return a minimum visible level in the reservoir.

I have hadseveral Ford cars since 1966 and never found this a problem before. The owner manual (page 203) gives scant information and acknowledges only that there is a filler, with a cap that should be closed, tightly!

Most of us top up the washer container from time to time or on a weekly check and probablyforget about it unless pressing the button fails to produce a squirt. I discovered the problem only because we'd had a dry spell and I knew I hadn't used the washers.

Before I contact Ford direct, anyone had a similar experience or can suggest a cause?
Cheers, Tuba Ted

2008 1.8 Petrol Zetec Privacy Glass Tango Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-02-2010, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Presumably, the reservoir has a burst-disc or plug that (and has, in my case) released excess pressure caused by freezing conditions, perhaps by previous neglect to ensure adequate level of ethanol in water for winter.
Anyone got a workshop illustration of the washer-bottle, to confirm?

post #3 of 13 Old 10-06-2010, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

I see that this thread has been viewed several times so I will continue with the latest progress (or lack of it)
I contacted Ford and their Technical Dept has confirmed that the C-Max is designed to do what mine does - Maybe if the water freezes, but not in normal use, surely?
I said I refused to accept this and will write to them and include photographs, when they send me the Customer Satisfaction Questionnaire
Can any member of the C-Max Owners' Club tell me if they find water disappearing from their car washer bottle?
Regards
Tuba Ted

post #4 of 13 Old 10-06-2010, 11:48 PM

I always fill mine to the brim and it lasts a very long time with normal use. Even after a drive when full no water is lost. What you are experiencing cannot be normal.

Sorry I can't offer any help to resolve your issue.

Ste

2008 1.8 Flexifuel Titanium Panther Black - Front & rear parking sensors - Panoramic roof - Cruise control - Bluetooth/Voice control - Privacy glass - Sony audio 6 disc
post #5 of 13 Old 10-07-2010, 12:03 AM

The filler "cup" for the washer fluid in the engine bay is just a short plastic hose about 6" long with the filler "cup" and lid and is a push fit into the main washer reservoir hidden inside the wheel arch. If the seal twixt the two is not perfect then you may get a lose of fluid from the cup and neck just down to that seal. You'll get no further loss. I know as I've had to take the whole lot apart following a washer pump blockage.

54 plate 1.6 TDCi LX 110
post #6 of 13 Old 10-07-2010, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Thank you SteMAx and Ringwayrunner for confirming what I would expect - no loss unless washer-fluid used. You may laugh, but I experimented by applying gentle air pressure to the 'cup' with my mouth and found water was heard being released in the wheel arch, but notout ofthe jets. When I lookedin the wheel arch, water was dripping out between the curved trim panel and the bulkhead (nearest to driver footwell). The seal you refer to may be the culprit.

post #7 of 13 Old 10-13-2010, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Nothing happening at the moment - the garage are to re-examine next Monday to see if fault can be found and have said they will have available, a spare, new washer bottle in case this needs replacing. I have asked to watch as they dismantle to gain access and they have agreed (subject to health & safety needs, of course)
Will keep you posted
Tuba Ted

post #8 of 13 Old 10-13-2010, 10:26 PM

Same problem - as my 1st post here:

http://www.cmaxownersclub.co.uk/foru...topic4280.html

2004 2.0L TDCI Ghia, affectionately known as 'Big Kahuna'
post #9 of 13 Old 10-14-2010, 02:39 AM

i had that problem it is the filler lid when you fill it up and go for a drive it comes out of the filler lid i cut a waterproof gasket the same size as the lid to make tight fit ,cured
post #10 of 13 Old 10-14-2010, 03:54 AM

Well, its slightly different to my leak. The water kept running out when the car was parked.
Took the car back and they couldnt find the leak. Only thing is it doesnt leak now!

I will follow this thread to see what the outcome is incase I have a reoccurance.

2006 2.0 TDCi Ghia Panther Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page