C-Max Owners Club banner

warrenty and servicing

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  welshjenni 
#1 ·
My car is almost due for its 2nd year service. My Ford dealer told me that the warranty will be invalidated if I have it serviced by a npn-ford dealer. Is this correct?

Thanks

#2 ·
Taken from: http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/general-advice/car-servicing-and-repair-faqs.html#section4

Do I have to get my car serviced by a main dealer?

The European regulations governing the sale and after-sales servicing of new cars changed in October 2003. For new cars purchased after that date you are no longer obliged during the warranty period to get the car serviced by a franchise dealer.

You must however continue to get the car serviced according to the manufacturer's recommended schedule and criteria using only manufacturer approved parts.

The legislation only applies to the part of the warranty offered by the manufacturer, i.e. insurance-backed extended warranties offered by dealers are not covered.

If you do have the car serviced outside the dealer network it is essential that it's done to the maker's recommended schedule and criteria using approved parts. You must also keep records to enable you to demonstrate to the manufacturer that servicing was undertaken to their requirements.

Warranty work should still be undertaken by the franchised dealer as it is easier for them to deal directly with the manufacturer.

There's more information in the consumer advice section of the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) website, www.smmt.co.uk. <A name=section5></A>

#3 ·
On Fords, only year 1 is Ford warranty, years 2 and 3 are warranted by the dealer you purchased the car from. If you make sure the garage doing the work use Ford parts, you'll be fine. I'd have a look at pricing outside Ford as I found recently that a couple of local garages actually charge more than Ford. Reason being the advertised rates may offer don't include things that Ford do. My local Formula 1 autocentre quote an all in price, but if you want the oil Ford specify, a fully synthetic, well that's an extra £x and if you want your wheel tracking checked, that's an extra £x and so on. The headline prices don't often include the things you actually get from Ford as standard.

However Ford prices are variable. My local ford dealer service desk quoted £195 for an interim service, but there website quotes £175! Check and haggle, no price is set in stone.

Also, I liked this TCH offer a courtesy car, or lift, but this courtesy costs £5! That's not very courteous, it's called a taxi!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.