warrenty and servicing - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 12-13-2010, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

My car is almost due for its 2nd year service. My Ford dealer told me that the warranty will be invalidated if I have it serviced by a npn-ford dealer. Is this correct?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-15-2010, 12:16 AM

Taken from: http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/general-advice/car-servicing-and-repair-faqs.html#section4

Do I have to get my car serviced by a main dealer?

The European regulations governing the sale and after-sales servicing of new cars changed in October 2003. For new cars purchased after that date you are no longer obliged during the warranty period to get the car serviced by a franchise dealer.

You must however continue to get the car serviced according to the manufacturer's recommended schedule and criteria using only manufacturer approved parts.

The legislation only applies to the part of the warranty offered by the manufacturer, i.e. insurance-backed extended warranties offered by dealers are not covered.

If you do have the car serviced outside the dealer network it is essential that it's done to the maker's recommended schedule and criteria using approved parts. You must also keep records to enable you to demonstrate to the manufacturer that servicing was undertaken to their requirements.

Warranty work should still be undertaken by the franchised dealer as it is easier for them to deal directly with the manufacturer.

There's more information in the consumer advice section of the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) website, www.smmt.co.uk. <A name=secti&#111;n5></A>
post #3 of 4 Old 12-15-2010, 12:32 AM

On Fords, only year 1 is Ford warranty, years 2 and 3 are warranted by the dealer you purchased the car from. If you make sure the garage doing the work use Ford parts, you'll be fine. I'd have a look at pricing outside Ford as I found recently that a couple of local garages actually charge more than Ford. Reason being the advertised rates may offer don't include things that Ford do. My local Formula 1 autocentre quote an all in price, but if you want the oil Ford specify, a fully synthetic, well that's an extra x and if you want your wheel tracking checked, that's an extra x and so on. The headline prices don't often include the things you actually get from Ford as standard.

However Ford prices are variable. My local ford dealer service desk quoted 195 for an interim service, but there website quotes 175! Check and haggle, no price is set in stone.

Also, I liked this TCH offer a courtesy car, or lift, but this courtesy costs 5! That's not very courteous, it's called a taxi!

2005 Focus C-Max 1.8 Petrol Ghia + Sony 6 disc, 2007 tail lights, Led bulbs all over and HID front fogs.

post #4 of 4 Old 12-15-2010, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for that advice - I'll check out my local garage for prices and see how they compare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page