Warning light - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 12-24-2009, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Hi everyone. Thanks for the welcome yesterday.Couldreally use some advice. Car is running fine but yesterday the engine system warning light stayed on. All else seems to be okay, but as I have to now deal with this due to my husband being too ill to help me I would really be grateful for any help regarding what this could be and what if anything I can do. Thank you so much, oh and by the way Seasons Greetings to you all. Sharobeth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 12-24-2009, 07:42 PM

Hi,

I think the best thing to do with a fault with the engine management light is to get it to your nearest ford dealer or local garage with a diagnostics system to read the fault codes on the car to find out the exact source of the problem.

Hope this helps

Ford C-Max Zetec 1.6 TDCI - In Moondust Silver
post #3 of 23 Old 12-24-2009, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the response. Will get it checked after the holidays
as garages will be closed til New Year.

post #4 of 23 Old 12-25-2009, 01:00 AM

Agree with Twisterboy and probably not the answer you wanted
In your profile, you don't say where you live or at least region, perhaps other may be able to help you with sugestions on a good place to go without being "ripped off"!

post #5 of 23 Old 01-06-2010, 02:25 AM

The management light is a pain in the bum. If the car is running well and there are no nasty symptoms there is almost certainly nothing wrong except it is having a bit of a paddy. A friend of mine had a Mondeo that had it's management light on for over 50K - no fault was ever found and he took the bulb out in the end. Car now has 170K on it - without a problem!
post #6 of 23 Old 01-06-2010, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamair
The management light is a pain in the bum. If the car is running well and there are no nasty symptoms there is almost certainly nothing wrong except it is having a bit of a paddy. A friend of mine had a Mondeo that had it's management light on for over 50K - no fault was ever found and he took the bulb out in the end. Car now has 170K on it - without a problem!
Some people are lucky, some are not! Something has caused the Module to think there is a fault ( or was, briefly ) best get it checked out, could be minor, could be terminal if persistantly driven!
post #7 of 23 Old 01-06-2010, 03:24 AM

I agree up to a point. But for there to be a terminal problem heading your way there is likely to be other symptoms. Engines do not run with terminal problems so, if you can find nothing wrong (and you can't necessarily trust the fault code reader either) then the chances are it is just a blip. My computeroccasionaly'blips' but it doesn't stop it running fine the vast majority of the time. The owner of our local garage (a mechanic and MOT tester for 30 years) thinks that the lights are pretty useless really. I wonder that engines didn't fall apart constantly for the 100 or so years cars existed without them!!! They do inform you to have a look and be sensible but panicing and rushing off to the Fraud dealer is probably only necessary if there are other problems obvious or it persists.
post #8 of 23 Old 01-06-2010, 04:00 AM

Personally, any warning light which is illuminated should be investigated.
MIL is there for Emission faults, it has seen a fault which is exceeding its given tolerances and may have a detramental effect on the durability of the vehicles components. ( IE Catalyst )
Better safe than sorry, especially in light of current weather conditions, I wouldn`t like to breakdown in the dark and freezing conditions.
post #9 of 23 Old 01-06-2010, 02:08 PM

As I said, sensible to check it out, but no need to panic. Amber warning light mean procede with caution, it's the red ones that mean stop and get it checked straight away. In the snow we are having at the moment (about 7 inches so far) my ABS light illuminated after a bit of wheel spin. No fault though, just that the snow confused ita little. Just remember that Fraud would love you to rush in and panic every time the slightest issue occured - at 85/hr + VAT it suits them very well! I recently had to change the coil on no 1 cylinder on my Zetec 1.8. The car was running like a pig, wouldn't pull and eventually went into limp home mode. This happened a few times after a couple of weeks of very occasional stuttering. At no point did the management light illuminate - it was quite happy to let me keep driving. Replacing said coil effected a complete cure. Now I think such an occurence should have illuminated the light but it didn't. Two years ago, I drove home from Leeds and the light did illuminate. No problems were ever found either then or since and there were no fault codes. I just think the light is so unreliable as to be fairly useless really. By all means check it out, but I for one, would take it with a pinch of salt UNLESS there were other symptoms as well.
post #10 of 23 Old 01-06-2010, 05:19 PM

I understand what you're saying but considering you can get the faults read with a 17quid reader off ebay and engine faults can typically cost hundreds of pounds it seems foolish to just ignore the light.

08 1.8 Titanium C-Max *ST Styled* With Car PC Fitted
Previous:54 1.6TDCi LX Focus C-Max
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page