Unleaded in the diesel tank! - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 11-04-2009, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Hello! I have an 07 1.6 Tdci c-max:
Never thought I'd be so absent minded, but here we are - 16 litres of petrol in a nearly empty tank! Probably too much to dilute?
So far I have tried to push a tube down the filler pipe to and syphon the fuel (as suggested in the 04 Ford TIS) but the tube keeps getting stuck before it reaches any fuel (anti-syphon perhaps?). I have had a look under the rear seats but there is barely enough room to grab the wiring to the fuel guage sender, let alone remove the cap.
Is the fuel pump on this engine self-priming? If so would it be possible to suck/pump fuel from the fuel filter inlet pipe, then fill the tank back up with diesel and let the engine take care of any air in the system? What other methods would anyone suggest?
Thanks in advance
James

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-04-2009, 06:45 PM

Hi,
Firstly, has the Engine been started? if not the follow instructions below.
I`ve looked on wiring diagrams, apparently no Fuel pump in tank ( unless I missed it! ).
If I were you, I would bleed the fuel from the larger fuel pipe on L/H of engine ( either Green or White Female connector from memory ) This is the supply from the tank, an 8-10mm pipe fits in this connector.
Bleed through until you get air ( tank now empty! ), then fill tank and bleed through until air is all gone and Diesel comes through, connect pipe back up and start and run engine, things should be OK.

If you have started it, follow advice above, but in addition, try get to the feed to Fuel pump on engine ( tucked down back on L/H side, ( possibly easier from underneath rather than removing scuttle panel ) reconnect this pipe once primed with Diesel,then prime fuel best possfrom Smaller fuel connector next to one you primed first but Engine side ( Male connector, Return to tank ), renew Fuel filter and cross fingers all is ok!.

I cannot confirm if they have a manual fuel primer on the Engine, some did but it was deleted on later ones, if yours has this, it should be easier to bleed all air out of system.

Good luck!!!
post #3 of 8 Old 11-05-2009, 01:15 AM

The TIS shows equipment for draining the tank at the dealers by putting apipe down the filler neck
It's perhaps that the pipe you are using is not rigid enough

Richard
54 Plate 1.6 TDCI LX ~aspiring to be something else

post #4 of 8 Old 11-05-2009, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Hi,
Thank you both for your quick replies. I have now sorted the problem! For the benifit of others, here's how...
I disconnected the fuel filter inlet hose (white collar on my car) and inserted some 10mm OD poly tubing (9mm plus some electrical tape!) as suggested by kevmond, but (I think because I had previously tried to syphon from further up the line) I couldn't seem to suck anything through. So I dragged my compressor out of the garage, wrapped an old bike tyre inner tube round the outlet line and pressed firmly into the fuel filler nozzle. This formed an acceptable seal and allowed me to pressurise the tank - I had the regulator turned down slightly so as not to over-pressurise the tank and break anything. This then forced the fuel out of my poly-pipe into a handily placed container. 20 litres transferred in 5-10 mins. I then put 3-4 litres of diesel in the tank and pressurised again - as soon as the flow out was steady and bubble free I removed the poly pipe and jammed the hose back on the filter inlet. After filling the tank to the brim with fresh diesel, I started the car and it ran straight away, really smooth! It seems that my lightning-fast pipe-swapping was sufficiently quick! Really happy, as there is no manual bleeding attachment on my paticular model and according to kevmond there is no in-tank lift pump either - I was expecting hours of bleeding air with improvised tat and swearing!

That said, I have only run the engine for a few minutes and driven around the block a bit... perhaps the air lock is waiting until I embark on a late-night motorway mission, miles from home at -5.

Thanks again for your help

James

post #5 of 8 Old 11-06-2009, 01:13 AM

Glad to hear all is ok, if it has started and ran, chances are you'll be alright.
Like the improvising! [img]smileys/smiley32.gif[/img]
post #6 of 8 Old 11-06-2009, 01:55 AM

Well done,could have been expensive if it had got any further.
MM

MetalMicky ( Mike)

2004 2.0 TDCI Zetec
post #7 of 8 Old 11-06-2009, 11:16 PM

That was some reading and boy what a solution. Had a trawl around and I think this might sum it all up:

post #8 of 8 Old 11-07-2009, 01:17 AM

MetalMicky ( Mike)

2004 2.0 TDCI Zetec
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page