Tyres - life expectancy - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 06-07-2010, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

We bought a new C Max Zetec in December 08 and now, less than 16,000 miles later, both front tyres are bald! I must admit I haven't checked the pressures regularly but whenever I have they have always been correct,.

Any ideas what could have caused this (in 35+ years of driving I haven't had this problem before so it can't be the way I drive )? Is it likely to be a fault that I should go back to the dealer about?

Thanks

Jenni

ETA it is a TDci (in case that makes a difference)Edited by: welshjenni
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-07-2010, 10:03 PM

What brand of tyres are fitted - for instance Michelins always last well but on my BMW z3 I found that they had very little wet road grip.When you say the tyres are bald do you mean they are evenly worn across the tread or that they are worn abnormally in one specific area?
With a tdci you have a heavier weight in the nose which could cause the fronttyres to wear quicker.
You may not have even kerbed a wheel but if you have gone through a pothole the tracking can easily be knocked out and then you get excessive shoulder wear.
Ford now reccommend swapping front to rear at service butI personally would rather pay for 2 tyres in one go rather than 4.

57 Titanium 1.6 110 DPF, X Sport pack, panoramic roof,Sony 6 CD changer with voice control bluetooth.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-07-2010, 10:44 PM

Just changed my fronts @ 16500 Pirelli P6000 & I DON'T drive it hard

2011,C Max 1.6TDCi Zetec + City & Family packs

post #4 of 10 Old 06-08-2010, 12:28 AM

Pirelli P6000 on front, lasted 21,000 then had to be changed due to tracking. May of got another 1,000 out of them. the orginal tyres, on the rear(conti sport contact2) are down to about 3mm at the moment. total milage today is 41,700 miles.

1.8 tdci style 06.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-08-2010, 03:38 AM

changed my front khumos @ 12500 light caravan towing. Now on Bridgestone will see what happens
post #6 of 10 Old 06-08-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyb
changed my front khumos @ 12500 light caravan towing. Now on Bridgestone will see what happens
Interestingly you have gone from a budget tyre to a premium brand.
I wonder what the difference in cost was?
If you are say hyperthetically paying £60 for a budget tyre that does 12,500 miles and £120 for a premium brand that does 20,000 miles and assuming that the handling and wet weather capabilities are similar it would be in my opinion better to buy the cheaper tyre as a replacement in the event of a puncture or kerb damage is half the price.
I also think that it is preferable to change tyres long before they get to the tread wear indicators to preserve traction and road holding so again is it preferable to buy the cheaper tyres and change more frequently?

I am throwing these arguments up because I have always bought premium tyres previously and made sure they are matched.
Several years ago I bought an old E34 5 series BMW for knocking around in. I only paid £1400 for it (and sold it 12,000 miles later for £1500 - but thats another story). It needed a tyre after about 3 months of ownership, but was on metric rims which meant the cost of a tyre was astronomical as only Michelin made them.I bought 5 non metric allloys off ebay for £60 and put a set of Nanking tyres on for next to nothing.
I was amazed at how good they were on the road - nothing like the cheap tyres of years ago.

My BMW z3 was on Michelin Pilots when I bought it. At 35000 miles the fronts were original, but the rears had recently been replaced. The handling especially in the wet was awful to the point of borderline dangerous. After 2 years of ownership the fronts needed replacing as they were perished ( a point worth considering with a low mileage car as I had the same with Pirelli P6000's on my previous Mercedes).Icould not find a matching Michelin for the car as the ones fitted to the rear were coming up as 'Porsche fitment only' on tyre websites. I rang Michelin and got the opinion that they were not suitable as the tyre walls were stiffer to cope with a Boxsters mid engine layout).
I now run it on Goodyear F1 eagles which are very soft, but stay on the road!

57 Titanium 1.6 110 DPF, X Sport pack, panoramic roof,Sony 6 CD changer with voice control bluetooth.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-08-2010, 03:18 PM

My 1.8 petrol has done about 17k and the front Conti's are getting near to replacing (225 40 18's). I assume they are original but I bought the car at 14k so not sure ( i've heard reports of Cmax tyres only lasting 10K!).I have always bought premium tyres, mostly for wet weather grip rather than longevity. The OE Conti's are about £140 each and Michelin PS3's are £150 ish. I am tempted this time to try these Barum Bravius tyreshttp://www.tyre-shopper.co.uk/ts/search/tyredetails.aspx?code=2254018BA2WX£80 each and well reviewed. I think they are Conti's budget brand??Other thoughts are the Uniroyal RainSport for £125 or to try and get better MPG, something like a Goodyear Efficient Grip at £130.I was hoping to find an 'all season' tyre but looks like i'll have to invest in a set of winter tyres on 16" rims for the cold/snow - the 18"'s with summer tyres are just hopeless on snow!

2008 1.8FF Titanium, Nav Pack, Sport Pack 3, Panther Black
post #8 of 10 Old 06-08-2010, 05:09 PM

When I bought my car the front nearside tyre had kerb damage and the garage agreed to refurb the wheel and replace it. WhenI collected the car all four tyres were new Zetum brand - chinese and cheerful.
I thought mmm - new tyres but are they any good. 1400 miles in I have not noticed any problems.
Like you I have the 18 inch alloys and sport suspension.
Personally I would not have 2 different brands/ tread patterns on the same car.
When I was in the police I was responsible for authorising replacement tyres on Traffic cars and Response vehicles and if the tyre company could not supply matched tyres I would always insist on all four being replaced. At that time the police had a National Contract with Goodyear.
At one StationI worked at previously a Rover had been allowed to have 3 out of 4 tyres fitted with different tread patterns and it went off a wet eroad on an emergency call in excess of 70mph and rolled into woods.
Fortunately the crew survived.
So for me mixed brands of tyres is a no no.

post #9 of 10 Old 06-09-2010, 12:03 AM

Our 1.6TDCI is on the Goodyear and past cars have been on the NCT3 / 5 and that included a 2L SRI cavalier which still seemed to say on the island. They've always seemed good for mileage
The fronts were changed last September still have about 8mm on them and we reckon to do close to 1000 miles a month

As to Conti's I think we've previously established that tyre life mileage wise is very poor

Richard
54 Plate 1.6 TDCI LX ~aspiring to be something else
post #10 of 10 Old 06-12-2010, 12:28 AM

Hmm not sure if the khumos are budget or not i rate them may have only lasted 12500 but they were great fun in the dry, they cost £65 quid each. I originally went for goodyear optigrip but they didn't have any so i said i`d try the bridgestone touranza which were £75 quid each. First thoughts are about the same in the dry but lots better in the wet. So for the price difference i`ll probably go bridgestones again just for the wet grip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page