Tyres - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 03-07-2011, 03:58 AM Thread Starter

It was time to fit new tyres as "advised" by the MOT tester. The two front were at the limit and the nearside rear had a screw in the sidewall. The offside was also nearing its safe limit.

Time to bite the bullet. I enquired at the local tyre fitters which I've used for the past fifteen years for my own, my son's and my daughter's car tyres,about the cost of a set of new black bits. They have always been competitive in the past, either undercutting, or near as **** the same as some of the larger tyre fitting chains. This time I was surprised that they could not match the "fitters that you can't get quicker than".

If you use the tinternet to order and arrange a fitting at a "centre near you" I saved myself about eighty quid. Watch out for the extra cost of valves, balancing and wheel alignment, they are extra to the tyre prices.

I have bought Bridgestone ER300's and will let you know how they compare to the Continental Sport Contacts which were on the car when I purchased it.

John G

C-Max 2006, 2.0 Ltr, Petrol Ghia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-07-2011, 12:56 PM

Hi, Can I ask what your opinion of the Conti's was please?
I have Bridgestone potenza's fitted to mine ( from new ), generally a good all rounder IMO, not quite as good on a damp/wet morning as I'd like, and a little intrusive on tyre noise.
I am due a set of front tyres in a couple of thousand miles and was considering these.
Thanks in advance!

2010 Titanium 2.0 TDCI Panther Black.
post #3 of 18 Old 03-07-2011, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

The Conti's were on the vehicle when I bought it and I found them very good in the dry and wet, but I don't push the handling to the limit.I didn't think they performed well in the snow, howeverI don't know if it was me, the automatic gearbox or the tyres (which were pretty low on tread). I didn't find the road noise intrusive, but I had moved from a 10 year old Yaris, so I think the car is generally a lot quieter anyway. I can't even give you an indication on their longevity as I don't have a clue what milage they have done.

Isearched on the forum when I knew I had to buy tyres, to enquire which tyres people preferred but could find little consensus and found a lot of personal and subjective reports. I think the only way is to have a run in another C-Max wearing the tyres and make up your own mind. Unfortunately it can be an expensive decision if it's the wrong one.

Hope this is helpful Kev and let's know how you get on.

John G

C-Max 2006, 2.0 Ltr, Petrol Ghia

post #4 of 18 Old 03-07-2011, 10:21 PM

I think one general thought is that the Conti's are not good for tyre life

Richard
54 Plate 1.6 TDCI LX ~aspiring to be something else
post #5 of 18 Old 03-10-2011, 08:08 PM

Hi
With regards to tyres online try 'tyreshopper' you get a fully fitted price and then book a time and date to suit you and it is fitted by a National Tyres if you have one near to you.
If you call NT direct they cannot match the online price even though they have to fit them!

Also I got a price from Tyreshopper last time and went to my usual ATS and they matched it.

You can only try

StuG

2008 1.6 tdci Ocean Blue with Privacy Glass
post #6 of 18 Old 03-11-2011, 11:11 AM

I used Blackcircles(online) last time and couldn't better the price,or service

2011,C Max 1.6TDCi Zetec + City & Family packs
post #7 of 18 Old 03-13-2011, 01:08 AM

All the online tyre fitting outfits are doing well. Its a shame more people don't use them!

2005 Focus C-Max 1.8 Petrol Ghia + Sony 6 disc, 2007 tail lights, Led bulbs all over and HID front fogs.
post #8 of 18 Old 03-20-2011, 12:48 AM

Hi,

I also use blackcircles and would recommend them, as well as proytyre (who are usually the fitters in my area). I wouldn't go anywhere else.

The main point of the post is to point out that there is a lot of feedback on the blackcircles site and it is worth chugging through some of the lesser known / midrange brands as they provide good value for money if you fit the driving profile (e.g. cheap tyres on a focus RS is probably not a good idea).
I personally like the Falkens (quiet) but they tramline a little.

Hth

Regards

Andy

And3T

Black 59 Plate 1.6L TDCi Titanium/Privacy/Parking/USB
post #9 of 18 Old 03-20-2011, 01:57 AM

Have used event tyres & found them to be excellent!!! I am currently have kumho escata sports fitted to my c-max reasonable price & good all round performance!

56reg Focus c-max 2.0 tdci ghia

Tango metallic sony 6 disc player front & rear parking sensors,privacy glass,climate control
post #10 of 18 Old 03-20-2011, 03:50 AM

Conti's on my 06 from new, front lasted about 22000 miles, back ones being changed next week, @48,500 miles, which I thinkis fantastic. placing some

Pirelli P6000 Powergy 205/55V16on the car next week from kwik fit, 76 each fitted etc.
paid on line for this price
have dunlop sport on front, seem ok, with no problems.

2006 1.8 TDCI Style
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page