Trusting Kwik Fit - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 02-02-2012, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Today I took my CMAX for its MOT at a local Kwik Fit. The guy rang me and told me they had got it up on the ramp and could hear something wrong with the engine. And because they have the car running while the MOT is taking place they didnt want the engine to over heat due to an engine problem that could be fixed before the MOT. The Kwik Fit I took it to isnt a "proper" garage and only a test centre, so they arranged for their "diagnostic's guy" to come over and check it out.

Apparently he looked at it an is 100% sure the flywheel is on its way out.

It got a brand new sachs flywheel and clutch 11 months ago and its still under warranty. So I picked up the car and took it to the clutch guy. We both listened to the engine and to be honest, I couldn't hear a thing wrong with it. Only thing I could hear is when I dip the clutch there is a slight whirring noise which is apparently the primary (something) bearing. A common problem in most vehicles and nothing to worry about. Definately no knocking or banging noises though.

I rang back Kwik fit and said we couldn't hear anything wrong and so I've re-booked it in for MOT on Saturday. With the understanding that if the flywheel destroys the engine then I've had fair warning. Apparently on the smoke tests they rev the engine to the Max a few times and that will be when the flywheel could break.

Driving home tonight I revved the engine alot, accelerated quick, etc, etc. And I still can't hear anything wrong. So, I'm happy to take the risk.

But, I'm worried that if they are over caustious or worse, trying to sell me parts I don't need then whats to stop them saying "the exhaust needs replaceing" or "the brakes have gone", when theres nothing wrong with it.

If they do come back and say it needs something "big" doing, I'm tempted to book it in for another MOT at another garage and see what they come up with.

Anyone with any advice or similar stories?

CMAX 2004 2.0 TDCI Ghia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-02-2012, 05:18 PM

It might be worth seeing if were you to get it properly warm before taking it for the MOT they would do the smole tests first

Richard
54 Plate 1.6 TDCI LX ~aspiring to be something else
post #3 of 11 Old 02-02-2012, 06:18 PM

Just rip off merchants or what, emissions test is just a quick blip of the alternator for a fast pass.

I had a mondeo in 2002, went for 2 new front tyres and kwik fit said that it needed new shocks, the car was only 18 months from new.

54 Plate 2.0 TDCI Zetec, Panther Black, Xenons, Sony 6CD, ESP & F&R Parking Sensors

post #4 of 11 Old 02-02-2012, 08:12 PM

My Sis took her previous car to them & was told it needed new shocks all round,Her Hubby & me checked it out & all was fine,also they had parked her car on the road outside after & it got a parking ticket[img]smileys/smiley3.gif[/img].Needless to say she put in a major complaint & did not pay the fine & has never used (or I) kwik rip again.
MM

MetalMicky ( Mike)

2004 2.0 TDCI Zetec
post #5 of 11 Old 02-03-2012, 05:58 AM

From the replies you have had to this post the answer is clear stay clear of kwik fit & go take your car else where!

56reg Focus c-max 2.0 tdci ghia

Tango metallic sony 6 disc player front & rear parking sensors,privacy glass,climate control
post #6 of 11 Old 02-03-2012, 06:26 AM

I would only use Kwikfit for their tyres, service & MOT at the Ford garage. I do have the luxury of my Ford dealer being located within walking distance [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]good job as I have a Cmax!Kwikfit sometimes have real good tyre deals but I have found there are good & bad Kwikfits. I had a company Mondeo and we had to use Kwikfit. I had a puncture which resulted in the need for a new tyre, took it to Worcester & I don't think the guy could be bothered balancing the tyre cause it was wobbly on the motorway. However I had a blow out and took it to their Leominster branch, changed the tyre and balanced the other wheels. I have used the Leominster branch for my own car and the wife's and can't fault them.I guess it is the luck of the draw. Kwikfit for tyres, dealer for service & MOT.
Edited by: jimblob

Focus CMax 2006 1.8[125] LX Petrol

My 2nd CMax - just asking for trouble!
post #7 of 11 Old 02-04-2012, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys.

MOT went great. 2 very minor advisories. Best MOT yet. And no engine blown up.

Having said that, They still said my car doesnt sound right. Maybe they
are just saying that so they dont look stupid. They also failed find 2 more obvious advisories that I got at the ford dealer last MOT that I never got
sorted. But they aren't part of the testing so I'll forgive them.

Will see how the car runs for the next few weeks. If I suspect anything
wrong with the flywheel I'll get it back to the clutch guy before the
warranty runs out. If the clutch doesn't do anything for the next few
months/year or so. I'll not be using Kwik Fit again. Could have cost me
alot of money for nowt if I didn't know any better.

CMAX 2004 2.0 TDCI Ghia
post #8 of 11 Old 02-05-2012, 11:40 PM

I have a C Max now but a few years ago had a company car and the company had a Kwik Fit card issued to all car users. Went to the Leigh (Gtr Manchester branch) for a tyre and they quoted something really stupid for a tryre when I questioned the price the Manager said "well it's a company car what are you worried about" never used themthen or since, rip off merchants.
Edited by: pepecat
post #9 of 11 Old 02-27-2012, 03:23 PM

i have a c-max now fewyears ago had another car went to kwik fit hull for 1st mot. it failed on steering rack, power steering pump, both front shocks, 1 rear shock, handbrake hanging off under car and headlights to low. not bab for a car thats covered only 33000mls and been serviced by a main dealer so went to main dealer for mot and it passed with flying coluors. only went to kwik fit as it was local never again
post #10 of 11 Old 02-27-2012, 04:10 PM

Well I'd certainly be getting in touch with that kwik-fit branch and asking for my original mot fee back then their headoffice & tell them you eventually took your car to a main dealer who passed it with flying colours & that you suspect their branch failed it to generate work & that you will be talking to trading std's, see what reaction you get, certainly wouldn't let that go!!!!!!!! Don't like seeing people getting ripped off!

56reg Focus c-max 2.0 tdci ghia

Tango metallic sony 6 disc player front & rear parking sensors,privacy glass,climate control
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page