Thinking of Buying - a Few Questions - Page 2 - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 41 Old 05-23-2012, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G View Post
12 - 15K is about the average annual mileage nowadays and ought to be nothing for a diesel

Very low mileage may even be something to avoid as it could well have done a lot of short stop / start never got really warm miles and have a lot of exhaust soot build up around the moving parts
I'm obviously not average then! And one of those low mileage rotters

I still personally think I need to avoid 15-20k+/year though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 41 Old 05-23-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarch View Post
I'm obviously not average then! And one of those low mileage rotters

I still personally think I need to avoid 15-20k+/year though.
Have a look at 1.6 Diesel CMax in Autotrader and frighten yourself as to how far some of them have travelled and in such short times in some cases

Richard
54 Plate 1.6 TDCI LX ~aspiring to be something else
post #13 of 41 Old 05-23-2012, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G View Post
Have a look at 1.6 Diesel CMax in Autotrader and frighten yourself as to how far some of them have travelled and in such short times in some cases
I already have Richard....

Reassurring though I suppose that they are capable of such hammer..... but i'd rather be the person putting the miles on than taking the car it after someone else has.

Everything i'm reading says get a 1.6tdci over a 1.8tdci........ So I think i'm just going to have to be patient until the right car for me comes along.

post #14 of 41 Old 05-23-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarch View Post
I already have Richard....

Reassurring though I suppose that they are capable of such hammer..... but i'd rather be the person putting the miles on than taking the car it after someone else has.
To do those sort of miles in the time means it has to have nearly been only used on the motorway so will probably have been doing 70 - 90 MPH in 5th or 6th gear at around 2500 RPM which is no real problem

Richard
54 Plate 1.6 TDCI LX ~aspiring to be something else
post #15 of 41 Old 05-23-2012, 08:50 PM

The 1.6tdci won't pull the c*ck off a chocolate mouse ... good enough on a test drive, but frustrating to live with ... get a 2.0tdci
post #16 of 41 Old 05-23-2012, 10:17 PM

I had a 1.8 TDCi for five years from new. It's not as refined as the 1.6 - rougher, noisier, but it had great torque, and was definitely better geared and more powerful than the 1.6TDCi in my new Grand C-Max. Gave good economy if driven carefully on a long motorway run too - 60-65mpg.

The engine itself never gave me any trouble, though the wiring loom did cause a fault at around 3 years - typically just out of warranty. One advantage is that on my 06 model it didn't come with a DPF. On low-mileage cars that have lots of short runs from cold, DPFs don't get a chance to regenerate, and can become clogged. One thing to watch out for if you go for a more recent 1.6TDCi with a DPF.

2011 Grand C-Max Titanium
post #17 of 41 Old 05-24-2012, 05:54 AM

how much have you got to spend,
as i have bought a 61 plate grand c max 7 seater great for kids as comes with sliding doors thats only reason bought it this one came with family pack & appearence pack &full leather 24k miles 13grand

Ford Grand C-Max 1.6 TDCi Zetec 61 Plate
Apperance Pack & Family Pack
post #18 of 41 Old 05-24-2012, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1ackb1rd View Post
The 1.6tdci won't pull the c*ck off a chocolate mouse ... good enough on a test drive, but frustrating to live with ... get a 2.0tdci
Interesting. Most people laud praise on the 1.6tdci. Thanks for your honesty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenger View Post
I had a 1.8 TDCi for five years from new. It's not as refined as the 1.6 - rougher, noisier, but it had great torque, and was definitely better geared and more powerful than the 1.6TDCi in my new Grand C-Max. Gave good economy if driven carefully on a long motorway run too - 60-65mpg.
Thanks for that. As I said before, i'm sort of put off by the lesser economy and higher tax over the 1.6. Doesn't sound like a lot, but could cost 1,000 over the 4 years I intend to own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGONBACK View Post
how much have you got to spend,
as i have bought a 61 plate grand c max 7 seater great for kids as comes with sliding doors thats only reason bought it this one came with family pack & appearence pack &full leather 24k miles 13grand
I've only got around 8k to spend. Would love a Grand CMAX, but unfortunately our driveway is quite stubby and short, so only "normal" length cars can fit on it. A normal C-Max is as long as we can go without the arse of the car hanging in the road.
post #19 of 41 Old 05-24-2012, 12:40 PM

Send a message via MSN to Big Budgie
For 8K you should be able to source something about 3 years old with a decent spec. I paid 8.5K last July for an 08 2.0TDci Zetec with only 14.5K miles from a Ford dealer. In retrospect, I wish I'd hung on for a Titanium as the Zetec isn't all that well equipped. It's loaded up with cosmetic bulls**t like alloy wheels, privacy glass, sunblinds and other garbage that is of little practical use. It only has "one shot" down on the drivers window for instance. To put the window up you have to hold the switch. Inexcusable in this day and age IMO. It's the first car I've EVER had with lecky windows which you have to do that in. I actually went back to the dealer and said there was something wrong with it when it wouldn't go up on it's own! Unless you can live with that, get a titanium, The Zetec is poverty spec in comparison when it comes to the actual useful stuff!

2008 2.0 TDCi Zetec
post #20 of 41 Old 05-24-2012, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Budgie View Post
For 8K you should be able to source something about 3 years old with a decent spec. I paid 8.5K last July for an 08 2.0TDci Zetec with only 14.5K miles from a Ford dealer. In retrospect, I wish I'd hung on for a Titanium as the Zetec isn't all that well equipped. It's loaded up with cosmetic bulls**t like alloy wheels, privacy glass, sunblinds and other garbage that is of little practical use. It only has "one shot" down on the drivers window for instance. To put the window up you have to hold the switch. Inexcusable in this day and age IMO. It's the first car I've EVER had with lecky windows which you have to do that in. I actually went back to the dealer and said there was something wrong with it when it wouldn't go up on it's own! Unless you can live with that, get a titanium, The Zetec is poverty spec in comparison when it comes to the actual useful stuff!
Cheers....... With 2 young kids Privacy Glass (for shade) and Sunblinds are two things we really want.

I'm not sure there's all that much in the upgrade to Titantium for me that warrants the 600 or price uplift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page