Thinking of Buying - a Few Questions - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 Old 02-28-2012, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Hi all,
After doing a bit of research on here and other places I think i've narrowed my search down to a 2007/2008/2009 1.6 Diesel. (newer year depending on being within budget)
It sounds like the 1.6 diesel is the engine of choice, but i'm a little confused whether to go for the 90PS or 109PS "DPF" version.
Is the 90PS version evenavailablein "facelift" models 2007 onwards?
And is there muchdifference in economy, tax and insurance between the two?
I think i'm looking for a Zetec model as we want Privacy Glass and Quick-clear front screen, but I can't justify approx 700 for the Titantium upgrade as there isn't that much there for us? Thoughts?
Finally, is it a trait of C-Max's thatmost cars seems to have "light" interior? I'd much prefer dark/black cloth with kids about?
Thanks for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 02-28-2012, 11:48 AM

Firstly whatever you do DO NOT CONSIDER a 1.6 DIESEL with the CVT AUTO BOX
The quick clear screen (at least for 54 plate) was an option that even the "basic model" could have
Ours is a darkish grey seat material but even that shows water marks if it gets even the slightest bit damp

Richard
54 Plate 1.6 TDCI LX ~aspiring to be something else
post #3 of 41 Old 02-28-2012, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G
Firstly whatever you do DO NOT CONSIDER a 1.6 DIESEL with the CVT AUTO BOX
The quick clear screen (at least for 54 plate) was an option that even the "basic model" could have
Ours is a darkish grey seat material but even that shows water marks if it gets even the slightest bit damp
Thank you very much Richard.
I had noted the advice to avoid the auto boxes.... so its manual all the way!
That's a good point regarding the heating and windows etc potentially being added as extras on basic models..... will have to do some digging I suppose when shopping around.
A quick skim of Auto Trader does show the odd dark clothed interior, maybe again it was an option? But a rare one at that.
Think I might have my work cut out finding quick clear, privacy windows and dark cloth on a 1.6 Diesel![img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]

My other option I suppose it go for the 1.6 or 1.8 Petrol and take the hit on MPG v petrol and car cost. We are unlikely to top 8k most years, so might be worth doing some sums?
Are Petrol engines more robust these days? ie when getting towards 100k ok? I've got the old wives tale in my head that Diesels are nigh on indestructible whilst Petrol's aren't as they get on in years.[img]smileys/smiley25.gif[/img]
And is there much between servicing costs and time/mileage between services?
Thanks again.

post #4 of 41 Old 02-28-2012, 04:20 PM

I wouldn't touch the 1.6 petrol if ever you think of motorway use as the gearing / transmission ratio makes it very thirsty
The 1.8 petrol can have problems with the idle air runner but without having the inlet manifold off you can't check before it happens that the flaps / bearings fail

you can use quickclear in the additional keyword in Autotrader as I've just tried but of course that presumes its been entered as such in the advert

Richard
post #5 of 41 Old 02-29-2012, 04:39 AM Thread Starter

Thanks again Richard.
Sounds quite damning verdicts on the petrol models then? Ones to avoid.[img]smileys/smiley3.gif[/img]
1.6 Diesel all the way?...... but still confused about the 90 and 109 versions and whether they are both available post the "07" plate facelift?
post #6 of 41 Old 02-29-2012, 04:59 AM

They both appear to be available post the 07 facelift
http://carfueldata.dft.gov.uk/new-ve...aspx?t=23ude39

It's a bit of a tedious process to use this in the way to find when a particular model didn't exist but you can keep changing the first registration date on the above web page

Richard
post #7 of 41 Old 02-29-2012, 11:20 AM

My 53 reg 1.8 petrol Zetec has completed 158,000 so far; main dealer servicing since new. Minor problem around 50k with damper valve sticking - causing loss of revs and power; resolved by dealer. Sierras and Mondeos previously have always completed over 200k miles without problem - the reason why I've stuck with Ford. New clutch fitted around 130k miles. No other issues.

GeoffU

post #8 of 41 Old 03-04-2012, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Took a 1.6tdi for a test drive yesterday. Impressed with it, so think that will be to one we go for.
Thanks to the forum, i'm aware of the 'technical'differences between the Zetec and Titanium (ie electric pack etc), but can are there any differences with the seats/cloth etc?
Can you get more sporty/sculptured seats in a Titanium over a Zetec?
Thanks.
post #9 of 41 Old 05-23-2012, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

After my initial fact finding a couple of months ago we are now in a position to buy.

I'm still smitten by the 1.6tdci Zetec (around 07,08,09 plates), but there seems to be a real shortage of low/average mileage models. Everything available seems to have 15k-20k/year already on the clock.

There does seem to be a few more 1.8tdci's around with decent mileage, but for only a small bhp increase(Vs the 1.6 110 model) against lower mpg and higher tax i'm not sure its a compromise I want to take.

A quick calculation suggests fuel & tax could be near 20/month more expensive on the 1.8.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Zarch; 05-23-2012 at 09:20 AM.
post #10 of 41 Old 05-23-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarch View Post
but there seems to be a real shortage of low/average mileage models. Everything available seems to have 15k-20k/year already on the clock.

Any thoughts?
12 - 15K is about the average annual mileage nowadays and ought to be nothing for a diesel

Very low mileage may even be something to avoid as it could well have done a lot of short stop / start never got really warm miles and have a lot of exhaust soot build up around the moving parts

Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page