Spare Wheel - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 02-10-2011, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Bit of a shocker this one , this is the first time I have bought a car that doesn`t have a spare wheel .It is a bit disconcerting having no spare , what happens if I have a blow out (not a puncture) No ammount of foam will fill a tyre with a bl***dy great gash in it , so I will be stuck anywhere unable to move.
There is also no jack and wheel brace as obviously Ford consider that I won`t need one .I know it`s common practice these days but I don`t agree with it .Now where can I get a good spare wheel , jack and wheel brace

C-Max 1.6 Zetec 2010 Sea Grey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-15-2011, 08:25 PM

for piece of mind i bought the space saver wheel then the tyre from ford, as i tried the scrap yards first, no joy, ford pensioner so got the discount but well worth it as that foam stuff is a mess and some repaires wont touch them cannot remeber how much though
post #3 of 10 Old 02-15-2011, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

I think I`ll do the same , I`m not really comfortable not having a spare tyre

post #4 of 10 Old 02-15-2011, 11:18 PM

Me too i asked the same question not long ago, I think its mad to do away with the spare wheel,Im looking around on ebay but like yousay its not just the wheel we need it the jack and brace ,but a guess at least we have a space for one my friend just brought an smax and there is no wheel well on hers

57 plate c-max 2.0 zetec petrol power in ocean blue,

sarah
post #5 of 10 Old 02-16-2011, 12:59 PM

The question I would ask is "How many times have you changed a wheel yourself because of a puncture?" I have been without a spare in my last two cars, a total of ten years and have never had to changea wheel once. Technology now has made it a much rarer thingto have a puncture. I prefer to spend the same money I would have spent on a tyre, insteadon a recovery service, which gives me a much better cover for other eventualities. Horses for courses I guess.

Grand C-Max 2.0TDCI Titanium Colorado Red
Tinted windows - bi-xenon/washers - 17\" Wheels
Winter pack
Sony Gps SD Hands free - reversing camera - parking sensors - key free
post #6 of 10 Old 02-16-2011, 01:30 PM

Even with arecovery service you could still have to fork out for a new tyre if thepuncture isunrepairable as happened to myself in wales a couple of years ago.

jaddy1-57 1.8ffv zetec,moondust silver,sport pack(17 inch alloys,body colour spoiler,sports seats and sports suspension),panorama roof,privacy glass,cruise control,sony cd.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-16-2011, 02:49 PM

Correct, but if you needed towing back or another repair that would also cost you, as I said it is horses for courses. It does happen, but for many the risk of running out of fuel is much higher, but they do not carry a can just in case.I thought the same 10 years ago, then realised that I had never had to change1 even in nearly 30 years total. In Switzerland (where I live now) I already have to have winter tyres fitted in the winter months, so the expense of another two tyres or minimum 1 winter tyre extra I cannot justify.

Grand C-Max 2.0TDCI Titanium Colorado Red
Tinted windows - bi-xenon/washers - 17\" Wheels
Winter pack
Sony Gps SD Hands free - reversing camera - parking sensors - key free
post #8 of 10 Old 02-16-2011, 03:33 PM

Not had many flats over the years but last one was one morning in December came out to car to see a flat , lucky for me i had bought a space saver off ebay and a jack + brace from local scrap yard so a quick wheel change and off i went . If i had to put foam in the tyre would have to have been replaced with a new tyre so i am still in pocket cos the spare + jack was 20 quid cheaper than a new tyre . p s jaguar space saver wheels fit the cmax and are plentyfull on ebay , mine is off a jag .

RUSS
post #9 of 10 Old 02-18-2011, 04:07 AM Thread Starter

It`s not the puncture that is really the problem more the blow out , no amount of foam will fill a tyre that has blown out .The last tyre I had blow out on me was two years ago and foam would not have sorted that out .
Saying you had a small nail in the tyre , you pump it full of foam and then go to get the tyre plugged , I`ll guarantee they can`t plug it due to it being full of foam , then you`ve got to fork out a lot of money for a new tyre

post #10 of 10 Old 02-22-2011, 03:56 PM

I'd had my C-Max for a couple of months when a rear tyre deflated on the way home from work. It looked like a piece of metal had cut into side of the tyre, so it wouldn't have been repairable. Luckily the car had been supplied with a space-saver tyre, though changing it at night in the dark when its raining with light from a torch wasn't a pleasant experience.

2011 Grand C-Max Titanium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page