Should I buy a GCM - big decision! - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 03-10-2012, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Hi all, we are seriously considering buying a Grand C-Max in the near future, most likely a 2011 1.6 deisel Titanium model. My concern is; Ford is new to us, we have always had Vauxhalls from nearly new, kept them for around 10 years, & NEVER had a minutes trouble with any. Again this is a car we would be looking to keep for around 10 years Having read on the forum many problems people have had with their C-Max's, it makes me wonder if migrating to Ford would be a big mistake.Does anybody actually love their C-Max or GCM, & have problem free motoring?? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-11-2012, 06:26 AM

It's like all new models and the period soon after their introduction
the main difference is the production quality is then determined by volume level requirements to keep "the track running". I've seen the effect this has on even Range Rover quality of production

Richard
54 Plate 1.6 TDCI LX ~aspiring to be something else
post #3 of 8 Old 03-11-2012, 06:37 AM

Hi thereI'd just make two points:[list=1][*]Forums like this tend to attract people with problems looking either for advice or simply to have a jolly good moan! Very few people suddenly think 'What a splendid vehicle I have bought, I think I'll go on the internet, finda relevant forum and tell the world!' In other words, you cannot treat these forums as a representative sample of owners.[*]We love ours and have had no problems - although it's not a Grand, it's the same engine and running gear. And the Focus we had for 3 years before - again same engine - no probs.

2010 60reg C-Max Titanium X 1.6TDCi Panther Black, Convenience Pack (Ours) + 2009 Mitsi L200 Warrior 4 cab (Mine)

post #4 of 8 Old 03-11-2012, 08:12 AM

Send a message via MSN to Big Budgie
The 1.6 and 2.0 Diesels are shared with PSA so are used in Citroens and Peugeots. They also appear in Volvos and I think, Suzukis. There were problems with turbos in the 1.6 early on, but I believe that has been overcome in later versions. As with anything, good maintenance is the key to longevity. It is my opinion, for what it's worth, that all cars are vastly overcomplicated these days and are a nightmare for even the main dealers to sort if they decide to go wrong. Your average "Joe" has no chance whatever!
I agree with the previous post, in that you will never get anyone writing in or even looking at an online forum unless they have a problem or need information. If everyone who had a trouble free car wrote in and said so, the entire internet would probably crash! That said, mine's an 08 2.0 Diesel Zetec, ex motability and bought last July with only 14K up! It's never given me a moment's bother, which is a bit of a first for me as my last 4 cars have been Citroen and all had a gremlin or two lurking in the background. They were promptly sorted out, never to re-appear, but all the same, were not exactly problem free.
There is one correspondent on here who writes about the myriad of problems they had with a previous vehicle, which was a Vauxhall! You pays your money................! etc!!

2008 2.0 TDCi Zetec
post #5 of 8 Old 03-11-2012, 08:52 AM

Hi Estowife. Welcome. I'm of the same mind; buy nearly new and run into ground. Most comfortable car I have driven, once you get used to the slightly upright position. Bought my ex demo 53 reg 1.8 petrol Zetec and have done almost 160k miles. Very few problems. Airflow flap sticky at 55k -dealer sorted. New clutch at 130k. Problem at Charnock Richard M6 services with remote locking and alarm; found by RAC to be due to wireless signals in area - not malfunctioned since. Will replace with another soon, pass this one onto my wife (low mileage user)

post #6 of 8 Old 03-13-2012, 01:25 PM

Estowife, I have no real complaints with my C Max other than I feel Ford mis-sold me true information on their brochure as to the MPG to be expected from a 1.6 TDI engine. I am averaging 41.2MPG on my 1.6 TDI so if that is not a problem for you then I am sure you will enjoy the C Max, I am not a heavy footed driver by any means. My C Max is not a Grand but for a 21000 car I think the build could have been a bit better. The turning circle is much bigger than I expected. See my other posts on Good and Bad.
It is however a comfortable car, has a good driving position, I enjoy the centre dash console features of radio, phone etc., and the steering wheel controls. It is not built for speed which I don't need, I would have bought it as an automatic diesel had it been available as I find the 6 gears a little tiresome, 5 would have been easier. I have done just over 8000 miles now and on it's first service i still hadn't put any water in the screen washers!! Not bad for 1 years driving.
I hope this doesn't sound too negative, as I have had many compliments from people in my car and from passers by.

March 2011 New Ford C-Max Titanium Midnight Sky 1.6 (115 BHP) Duratorq TDCi Stage V + DPF manual six speed
post #7 of 8 Old 03-13-2012, 02:11 PM

Having had Opel Zafiras's before buying the Ford, I was in the same sort of position as you are now. I am very happy with my decision and have enjoyed the better handling that the GCM over the Zafira. I am also pleased that I went for the 2.0 TDCI over the 1.6 too.
I don't know what you had before, but when loaded up with seven people or a decent load the 2.0 has, to me, the edge. That will depend on what you were used to before though and what your driving conditions are too. I had a 2.2 petrol before. I tend to be a cruiser more often than not though I've been doing quite a lot of town driving recently, and have been getting with the last three tanks; 6.08, 6.12, 6.49 per 100km which equates to 46.19, 46.44 and 43.49mpg which I'm happy with. I like the interior, though the centre console does attract the dust! I love the Sony sound system and combined with a 32Gb memory stick beats a lot of top luxury models for sound and storage.
One thing I did though, is not added the two rear seats. I spec'd mine as a five seater. That means I have a much bigger boot than a GCM and also bigger than the CM, which is useful for me.

Grand C-Max 2.0TDCI Titanium Colorado Red
Tinted windows - bi-xenon/washers - 17\" Wheels
Winter pack
Sony Gps SD Hands free - reversing camera - parking sensors - key free
post #8 of 8 Old 03-13-2012, 02:26 PM

I'm now pretty happy with my Grand C-Max Titanium. I did have some concerns about it being extremely sluggish when new, but the car has loosened up considerably and now drives much better. Its 6 speed gearbox is also geared very differently from my old 1.8 TDCi C-Max, which took a lot of getting used to. It is however a much quieter and smoother engine than the 1.8.

Fuel economy is slightly worse than my old car, which is to be expected as it's bigger, heavier, and has a smaller engine with a DPF.

I've averaged 59mpg on a 200 mile motorway trip, cruising mostly at 60mph. My old car could get up to 65mpg in the same conditions.

I've had the car three months and the only warranty issue I've had (so far, touch wood!) is a broken door seal, which the dealer replaced.

2011 Grand C-Max Titanium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page