Re-programming remote key fob - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 04-30-2010, 04:39 AM Thread Starter

Hi guys. I know this has been up for debate before, but having read though not only your replies, but other sources for the solution on the tinterweb, I am at a loss short of taking it to Ford for a hefty ripping off.

This is a common tale for the remote keyfobs from what I have seen but my key had been a bit flaky (needing to be cloer to remote lock the car) for the past week until this evening. I get out of my car and lock it as normal (no issues what-so-ever) but return to unlock it 30 mins later and have to use the key in the door.

I've replaced the battery. Taken the remote apart completely and checked the connections inside to make sure the springs were touching the battery and connections etc - all fine but still didn't work so I turn to the web.

Having found one solution whereby you start with the key in he RUN position and turn it to OFF and then back to RUN 8 times in a row, listen for the lock cycle to start before pressing any of the keys on the remote to program it to the car.

Tried that - didn't work.

Find another from your guys - same as above but turn 4 times from RUN to OFF.

Sure enough I get the tone so leave in the RUN position and press the LOCK button. Nothing hapens.

I tried this about 5 -6 times before I give up.

So now I'm left with the car that I have to lock manually.

I'm running a 55 plate Zetec C-Max.

Would a dodgy keyfob be covered by a warranty from a dealership does anyone know?

Cheers for any help in advance guys.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-30-2010, 07:48 AM

You can but try.
I`d have thought it would as it`s an integral part of the car.
MM

MetalMicky ( Mike)

2004 2.0 TDCI Zetec
post #3 of 14 Old 04-30-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikething
Find another from your guys - same as above but turn 4 times from RUN to OFF.

Sure enough I get the tone so leave in the RUN position and press the LOCK button. Nothing hapens.

I tried this about 5 -6 times before I give up.
After the Chime to confirm its in programming mode, leave it on Pos 1 and try pressing and holding button, another chime SHOULD sound, then turn to Pos 2 to complete.
Let us know if it works, Good luck!

2010 Titanium 2.0 TDCI Panther Black.

post #4 of 14 Old 05-01-2010, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice, no luck though[img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]
Check this out though. Even though I only bought the car at the end of Jan this year, I phoned the dealer – Perrys in Barnsley and spoke to the Service Dept. When I told them what the issue was, they said that the warranty does not include remote key fobs as they are classed as "wear and tear" and that as they aren't a Ford dealership, Ford wouldn't reimburse them for having to re-program the key through their diagnostics computer. Their charge for doing this, at an hour's labour was 80, even though I know from previously watching a guy program a key for an old car it takes all of 5 minutes if that.

I then call my nearest Ford dealership and explain the entire things again, the attempt at resetting the key myself as per Kevmond's recommendation, to which I was told that if the battery is flat, you only get a limited time to replace it before it will need reprogramming. I tells the woman in their service dept that Ford have got this "well sussed at ripping us off with this little con" to which she replies "no comment" and starts laughing.

If it were a true diagnostic issue I could offset the cost and almost see their justification at charging this for something that could potentially cost you thousands, but for a 2 battery in a remote key fob?

So it looks as if I'm gonna have to take it to my local garage who have a diagnostic machine and get them to sort it for 25. Still not good.

I looked in the manual for the car and it does actually tell you how to reset the key as Kevmond suggests but it also says that when the battery is low, it should say so on the dashboard warnings panel - which it never did.

post #5 of 14 Old 05-01-2010, 04:55 AM

Just a thought, rather than be charged to be told the fault, do you know someone with a ford with similar remote or older type? Maybe try programming as before but when you turn ign on/off and get chime, try pressing and holding their key, least if theirs works you'd know your key's duff.

post #6 of 14 Old 05-01-2010, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Not a bad idea - might have to try that mate cheers.

Just found out the garage who said they could do it for 35 now can't. APparently they don't have the in/out codes for my model. So if anyone CAN supply me with the codes...

post #7 of 14 Old 05-01-2010, 08:19 PM

Have you replaced the battery? If no replace it, if yes get a key fob off ebay for about 20-25 quid and then reprogram it yourself.
Sorted, and cheaper than having it tested.
Failing that.....you need to start looking at the alarm electrics and I would start with the ground behind the forward interior light. Anything other than that and it's time to call in autoelectricans and/or dealerships.

08 1.8 Titanium C-Max *ST Styled* With Car PC Fitted
Previous:54 1.6TDCi LX Focus C-Max
post #8 of 14 Old 05-02-2010, 02:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gepard
Have you replaced the battery? If no replace it, if yes get a key fob off ebay for about 20-25 quid and then reprogram it yourself.
Sorted, and cheaper than having it tested.
[img]smileys/smiley25.gif[/img]
post #9 of 14 Old 05-02-2010, 09:10 PM

Which bit has confused you?

08 1.8 Titanium C-Max *ST Styled* With Car PC Fitted
Previous:54 1.6TDCi LX Focus C-Max
post #10 of 14 Old 05-03-2010, 03:06 AM

Possibly the bit about changing the battery, it does state this in the first bit of the post.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page