Potential new owner with some questions - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 12-04-2011, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

Hi all.I'mthinking of buying a CMax and have a couple of questions.First which is the 'best' engine to go for? I realise that's not an easy question to answer categorically! The car will only do about 6000 miles a year which will mostly consist of town-based commuting with the occassional motorway trip.Itest drove a 2008 08 plate 1.8 petrol and a 2007 57 plate 1.8 diesel and they both seemed fine to drive.The petrol-engined carsseem to be cheaper for a given age/mileage but I'm concerened about real-world fuel economy. What sort of MPG are you guys getting with those two engines? The petrol was 5-speed and the diesel was a 6-speed if that makes any difference to the figures.Also parking sensors - some of the cars we've seen have them at the rear and some have not so I assume they were an option? If they're not fitted is it possible to retrofit them?I'm pretty handy with the spanners - is it even a DIY job? And if it can be retrofitted what sort of cost am I looking at?Is there anything else I should bear in mind when choosing a car - e.g. avoid this age range or engine, thoroughly check this etc?Thanks in advance,Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-04-2011, 08:03 AM

the 1.8 petrol will prob not give more than 30mpg around town.

jaddy1-57 1.8ffv zetec,moondust silver,sport pack(17 inch alloys,body colour spoiler,sports seats and sports suspension),panorama roof,privacy glass,cruise control,sony cd.
post #3 of 13 Old 12-04-2011, 10:07 AM

Hi Paul,
As you said in your question, there are many variables and each will have their fans.
My 1.8 diesel averages over 50mpg but I haven't checked what it manages driving around town, as I try to stay out of our town. I bought the 1.8 diesel for towing my caravan and for long solo trips, visiting family.
The parking sensors are an option, not included on my car, thank goodness. It is not a question of how good you are with a spanner, more, how good you are at parking! I have been parking for well over 50 years without a problem. When I have driven a car with sensors, I have found them to be a nuisance – but maybe that's just me.

I hope that you find a nice car that does not give you any trouble. I have owned mine for a year and it has been brilliant.
[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

2009(10reg)1.8TDCi115Titanium

post #4 of 13 Old 12-04-2011, 11:16 AM

Having just experienced a diesel albeit not a c max and being a low mileage driver myself I would never contemplate diesel again. I don't think the miles and type of driving you do lend itself to a diesel. You might save a bit on fuel but mechanically it won't do the car any good and you may face large bills as did I

1.6 Ecoboost - Frozen White
post #5 of 13 Old 12-04-2011, 04:18 PM

for the age you mention
the 1.8 petrol is probably the version with the idle air runner valves as part of the inlet manifold that has been known to give serious problems (Google the fault code P2008)
there have been mentions about the 1.8 diesel being difficult to get away from a standing start without stalling but perhaps you didn't find that happening

Ours is the 1.6 diesel that due to the 129g CO2 figures has a lowish VED figure which might also be something to consider
Which ever you choose I think you ought to try to get one that has the quickclear front screen that were options for all but only sts on some

Richard
54 Plate 1.6 TDCI LX ~aspiring to be something else
post #6 of 13 Old 12-04-2011, 06:23 PM

Choose as late a model as possible, with as high a spec as budget will allow and service history, main dealer or not, so long as its stamped/receipted.
I'd be inclined to say the 1.8 petrol is the best option for you and low mileage.
Avoid electric handbrake, id suggest annual oil change irrespective of low mileage.

2010 Titanium 2.0 TDCI Panther Black.
post #7 of 13 Old 12-04-2011, 06:34 PM

Send a message via MSN to Big Budgie
In my limited experience of the 1.8 Diesel (I was lent one when my 2.0 TDCi was in for a service) it does suffer from a lack of oomph below 2000 RPM in comparison with the 2.0 and also my previous two Citroens, A Xantia 110 HDi and a Picasso 90 HDi, all three of which will happily trickle away from a standstill with no throttle. Not so the 1.8, which needed a bit of encouragement. To be fair, once it was moving it was fine and just as good as the 2.0 but, of course, not ultimately as flexible and forgiving below 2000 rpm, or as quick for overtaking. That is where the 2.0 shines. It's just awesome and must be seriously quick when chipped. CO2 on the 1.8 is 140 and 154 on the 2.0 putting it in band G at 165. The 1.8 petrolis 172, band H at 190

2008 2.0 TDCi Zetec
post #8 of 13 Old 12-05-2011, 05:46 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your comments/input.
@jaddy1Yeah - that's the sort of figure I'd feared/expected!!
@RoloThe car will actually be for my wife and although she hasn't had parking sensors before but she thought they might be handy sometimes (low walls/barriers in car parks etc.) It isn't a definite requirement - I just thought I'd see if it was possible to retrofit as that seems to be the only significant difference between the cars we've seen.
@suzipheneCould you elaborate on the problem(s) you had? We've not had a diesel before and so we're probably not aware of some of the issues with that type of engine.
@Richard GIs there a way of telling for sure whether the petrol engine is/might be affected by that fault? Engine number range/VIN range etc? I assume it's an expensive part as you've mentioned it?!
You're correct - we didn't have any issues pulling away in either car. In fact they both felt good to me at low revs but the previous car was a 2001 Civic which had almost no torque at low revs!
The VED for the two is currently 165 and 190 so although there's a saving it's not enormous.
I'm pretty sure all the ones we've looked at have had the quickclear screen - that's something else my wife would like to save having to get cold scraping the screen!
@kevmondThat's pretty much what we're doing! Unfortunately the change of car was forced onto us - we wouldn't normally buy a new car a few weeks before Christmas! A young lad didn't notice a crossroads and as a result took the front off my wife's old car.
Regarding servicing we know we'd need it done annually.
@Big BudgieI appreciate that the 2.0 diesel is quicker but we need to get a car ASAP and there seem to be loads of petrol and diesel 1.8s around but not many 1.6s or 2.0s.

The dealer we saw was pretty vague when it came to anticipated servicing costs - it was a Saturday afternoon and I assume the service department was closed so there was no one to ask.What's the servicing order (I know most cars have small, medium and large services) and rough guide costs? Is there a 'killer' service at some point that I should know about?
post #9 of 13 Old 12-05-2011, 05:56 AM

Not certain about the inlet manifold on the 1.8 petrol and the air runner roblem but I think it involves changing the whole manifold

The expensive service issue can seem to be the one at around 75,000 with a diesel that has a DPF additive tank (to meet the Euro IV emissions) when the additive tank will probably require refilling and if not done quite soon enough also need the warning resetting

Richard
54 Plate 1.6 TDCI LX ~aspiring to be something else
post #10 of 13 Old 12-05-2011, 12:30 PM

I spent nearly 7k over 5 years (35k miles0or would have done if I didn't have a direct warranty to be fair some of the s tuff is probably nothing to do with the diesel I have no idea but my understanding is that a diesel needs a good 20minute belt once a week to keep it working well and I think in the end I probably blamed everything perhaps unfairly on the fact mine wasn't getting that plus it was only giving me 34 mgp - 1.9tdci. All my receipts went with the car but from memory some of the troubles - new inlet manifold, new steering column, new starter motor, some turbo tube thing at front of engine replaced, air intake leak x 2,and so on. I am surprised the AA continued to cover me!

1.6 Ecoboost - Frozen White
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page