Poor Fuel Economy - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 03-25-2010, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

Dear Fellow Members,
I hope you maybe able to help me and advice me over a fuel consumption concern.
We recently purchased a C-Max 1.8 Titanium on a 58 plate. It had 7400 miles on the clock and was a Ford Direct vehicle.
Naturally we conducted some reasearch and enjoyed the reivews about the cmax and the fuel economy figures didnt look to bad. The Ford figures showed 38mpg. We realised we wouldnt get that, but didnt expect it to be as low as it currently is.
We filled the tank when we purchased it and managed to get about 360miles from the tank. The average consumption on the commuter showed between 25.3 and 27.8 mpg.
We are only using the car for local journeys, however they are not all stop starts. Mainly duel carrige way and roundabouts. Probably about 24 to 30 miles a day. School run, to the shops, gym etc etc
The car is not driven hard what so ever.
Our previous car was a 2.8 V6 Passat estate 4motion in which I was getting 21.2 to 22.4 mpg on the same journeys and with a bit more power!!!
Naturally I was hoping for it to be at least around 33 to 35 mpg.
I have taken it back to Ford and they have advised me to use 3 full tanks, note the milage etc and we shall see what it works out at then. I will do this but have also asked them to book it into the workshop for a check as I only have till the 4th of April to return it on the 30day Ford Direct no quibble return policy. Naturally if no problem is found I'd like to swap it out for something else.
Has anyone else had similar or heard of poor fuel consumption with this model??
Or could anyone advice what mpg they are getting on similar petrol or diesel models?
We look forward to hearing from you all.
Kind Regards
Phil & Kate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-25-2010, 02:00 AM

Well, I would seriously consider giving the car back if MPG is not what you expected and you have the option. I doubt whether your fuel consumption will improve one iota, no matter what your garage says or does, and if you are worried about poor mpg now, it will only get worse as fuel gets even more expensive. The 1.8 petrol engine is not frugal and probably not the car for you given the kind of journeys you do. There are lots of posts about MPG on this site, including with regard to the 1.8 petrol, as well as copious posts about what to expect from other variants, almost all of which will get you more or considerably more miles for your buck. I believe that most 1.6 diesels, for example, achieve in real life well in excess of 40mpg about town, so you might well feel better off all round swapping out for one of those. The 110 hp 1.6 diesel is, by most accounts, a very good car and you may find that one of those suits you better [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img].
By the way, welcome to the site, and please let us know how you get on.Edited by: romseyraver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page