Outside temp gauge. - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 10-07-2009, 05:47 AM Thread Starter

Hi. This is just something that I need to know, cos I'm sad like that.
How does theoutside temp gauge compensate for windchill and the other extream when you leave the car in the sun and the bodywork is too hot to touch the temp gauge will read 27'c or so.
even though in and around the car is alot higher.

My temp gauge is pretty accurate asI have one of those weather station clocks with an outside probe and that gives thre same reading as the cmax.

2.0 TDCi Ghia 06 in Panther black.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-07-2009, 03:58 PM

Is it sad that I know?

The reason we are affected by wind chill is because our bodies are internallyheated and the increase in wind speed removes this heat making us feel colder. When you have an object that isn't internally heated, such as the temperature sensor, it won't be affected by wind chill as the heat in the object isn't being removed. It'll always remain at the temperature of the environment it is surrounded by.

The temperature sensorsposition is somewhere inside the engine compartment. The insides and paintwork are heated via radiation because they lie in the sun. The heatisconducted through the bodywork to the engine compartment. As the heat travels further from the source, it cools down and so you get the lower reading.

When you then drive the car after it has been sat in the sun on a warm day, the parts are then heated internally (going back to the wind chill ideas I mentioned earlier) and the wind will then cool the parts down to outside/atmospheric levels meaning the sensor then reads accurate again.

08 1.8 Titanium C-Max *ST Styled* With Car PC Fitted
Previous:54 1.6TDCi LX Focus C-Max
post #3 of 3 Old 10-07-2009, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Cheers for that. Just one of those silly things in needed to know. Now I cant wait till my next party to get this into conversation

2.0 TDCi Ghia 06 in Panther black.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page