Our 2004 2.0L Petrol Cmax Ghia - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 03-25-2011, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Hi all,

We are very soon tyo be the new owners of a 2004 2.0L Petrol Cmax Ghia with loads of toy's (front/rear parking sensors, leather heated seats, cruise, a/c, rear blinds, trip computer etc) and are very much looking forward to collecting it next weekend.

In the meantime, I have some general questions that maybe you guy's can help me with ?

1) What are the Mk1 Cmax's like to own, generally pretty good ?
2) I am reading that it may have a timing chain rather than a belt, does this give any trouble?
3) It has an electronic handbrake, are these generally any good and reliable ?
4) Anyone know what the 2.0L petrol is like on fuel ?
5) Are the toy's generally reliable, any known problems with any of them ?
6) Is there any information anywhere on operation of the cruise control in advance of us recieving the ownwers manual ?
7) Is there any information anywhere on operation of the trip computer in advance of us recieving the ownwers manual ?
8) Anything else I should know about the 2.0L petrol Cmax Ghia ?

Sorry for so many questions, but you know what it is like, after an hour poking round the car yesterday you forget things and a week untill we collect seems a long time.

Can't wait !!

2004 2.0L Petrol Cmax Ghia in Tonic Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-25-2011, 03:30 PM

Hi Andy,to try & answer some of your questions:Mk1`s are quite good (in my experience) as the only real problems were there before we bought it & surfaced within 3 months but were all fixed.The timing chain should last till at least 100,000miles unless the car has been driven really hard.The parking brake is a source of many problems & I`m sooo glad I`ve not got one.The main reliability probs are the alternator (yours should have had a new one fitted by now,check if you can) & the odd water leaks from front scren & under rear spoiler & down into rear light clusters.Keep using the a/c to stop it smelling,also the condenser can be holed as it`s set quite low but if that happens pm me & I`ll put you onto a company that`ll supply,fit & service for 1/2 dealer price.Can`t help with cruise as I don`t have it[img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img].
All the best with your Max & let us know how you get on.
MM

MetalMicky ( Mike)

2004 2.0 TDCI Zetec
post #3 of 10 Old 03-25-2011, 03:35 PM

Well mine has worked fine so far but its expensive to repair if it does go wrong. Getting used to it can be a problem on hill starts as it only releases when the clutch is fully down. It is one extra that I would pay not to have.

Ed

54 2.0 TDCI Ghia non DPF Tonic Blue

post #4 of 10 Old 03-25-2011, 03:43 PM

6) Is there any information anywhere on operation of the cruise control in advance of us receiving the owners manual ?

Cruise control works very well and is a lot better than the one on my last car a Renault Laguna. The controls are all on the wheel and simple to use. I do find that with today's traffic levels I don't use it a lot but on long journeys its nice to give your right foot a rest now and again.

Ed

54 2.0 TDCI Ghia non DPF Tonic Blue

post #5 of 10 Old 03-27-2011, 04:55 PM

<div style="-webkit-border-horiz&#111;ntal-spacing: 1px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 1px; ">Hello,<div style="-webkit-border-horiz&#111;ntal-spacing: 1px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 1px; ">
<div style="-webkit-border-horiz&#111;ntal-spacing: 1px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 1px; ">Ours is a 55, 2.0l Auto Ghia which is ex-Motability.<div style="-webkit-border-horiz&#111;ntal-spacing: 1px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 1px; ">
<div style="-webkit-border-horiz&#111;ntal-spacing: 1px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 1px; ">1) What are the Mk1 Cmax's like to own, generally pretty good ?<div style="-webkit-border-horiz&#111;ntal-spacing: 1px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 1px; "> In my experience very good. A practical family car.<div style="-webkit-border-horiz&#111;ntal-spacing: 1px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 1px; ">2) I am reading that it may have a timing chain rather than a belt, does this give any trouble?<div style="-webkit-border-horiz&#111;ntal-spacing: 1px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 1px; "> Chain, no trouble from my 55 model.<div style="-webkit-border-horiz&#111;ntal-spacing: 1px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 1px; ">3) It has an electronic handbrake, are these generally any good and reliable ?<div style="-webkit-border-horiz&#111;ntal-spacing: 1px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 1px; "> It's ok ... takes getting used to at first.<div style="-webkit-border-horiz&#111;ntal-spacing: 1px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 1px; ">4) Anyone know what the 2.0L petrol is like on fuel ?<div style="-webkit-border-horiz&#111;ntal-spacing: 1px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 1px; "> Up to 39mpg on motorways; 29.5 overall. Mine is Automatic.<div style="-webkit-border-horiz&#111;ntal-spacing: 1px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 1px; ">5) Are the toy's generally reliable, any known problems with any of them ?<div style="-webkit-border-horiz&#111;ntal-spacing: 1px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 1px; "> No problem.<div style="-webkit-border-horiz&#111;ntal-spacing: 1px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 1px; ">6) Is there any information anywhere on operation of the cruise control in advance of us recieving the ownwers manual ?<div style="-webkit-border-horiz&#111;ntal-spacing: 1px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 1px; "> Easy to use and disengages very quickly. No problem.<div style="-webkit-border-horiz&#111;ntal-spacing: 1px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 1px; ">7) Is there any information anywhere on operation of the trip computer in advance of us recieving the ownwers manual ?<div style="-webkit-border-horiz&#111;ntal-spacing: 1px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 1px; "> Don't know of any but, again, it is easy to use.
8) Anything else I should know about the 2.0L petrol Cmax Ghia ? Look out for engine fault light with P2008 code. Perhaps askthedealer whether the solenoid valve fortheinlet manifold runner controlhas been recently replaced. There are many posts on here related tothisand it istheonly "problem" I have encountered. No major issue though and did not impact performance and should cost less than 200 to fix (as long as you avoid dealer prices).
I have had mine for two years and it has been reliable, practical and a good drive. Enjoy!

Focus C-Max 55 2.0l Ghia Auto
post #6 of 10 Old 03-28-2011, 02:46 AM

Hi AndyC, I've got the 2.0L Petrol Manual. I can't offer any more than has already been mentioned other than to confirm that IMO it's a great car and you will be very happy with it. I've had mine for almost six months now, it's never let me down, performance is great and the ride is very comfortable whether you're driving or a passenger.

I've had one issue and that's been the need to replace the boot switch due to water ingress. This resulted in the boot opening itself whilst I was driving. It's easy to change and only cost about 25 although many people have managed to fix the original unit.

To answer your questions;
I've had no issue so far but it's one of those things that when it does go wrong it's going to mean a trip to the garage rather than fix myself.

4) Anyone know what the 2.0L petrol is like on fuel ?
In the last six months I've been getting 30mpg around town which isn't too bad. I've not taken it on a decent run as yet so would hope to get late 30's.

5) Are the toy's generally reliable, any known problems with any of them ?
I've not had any issues at all and all working fine.

6) Is there any information anywhere on operation of the cruise control in advance of us recieving the ownwers manual ?
It's my first car with CC, it works great. Only thing I'll point out is that the buttons don't light up in the dark which I believe is a 'feature' and can be frustrating when you're not sure what buttons press to enable it!

7) Is there any information anywhere on operation of the trip computer in advance of us recieving the ownwers manual ?
I think the trip can be slightly different per model. For me, it's pretty straight forward and just use the toggle switch on the left had stalk.

Best of luck, get some photo's uploaded when you can!

54 2.0 Petrol Ford Focus C-Max Ghia Ink Blue
post #7 of 10 Old 03-28-2011, 07:06 PM

Having had my 2004 model two weeks and its broken down twice.
They seem to have alot of faults, that I have not experienced on a mk1 focus's or mk1 and mk3 mondeo or mk4 fiesta.
The first failure was the clutch which ok is wear and tear item. But the alternators go for a past time in as little as 30k. The rear drop links fail, the coil packs are common which is what I suspect happened to mine on sat buts sat awaitingdiagnostics at a garage along with alternator. A/C system go if not usedregularlyand are low down in the bay and often get damaged.
I think to be honest your best off paying more money an getting a faceliftmodel (they call it a mk2 but its 85-90% the same as focus cmax) I have a 1.8 and there are enough people on here who have issues.
Also a buyer beware of the cvt autos as when the go its a sealed unit and last check no-one can recon so your looking a 4 grand plus to replace. I hope yours is a rare 2.0 manual.
Oh and my boot switch doesnt work but I just use the remote.
Edited by: jbsportstech

(1.8 ZETEC)

To the average driver \'safe\' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver \'safe\' is not being vunerable to an accident.

www.advanced-driving.co.uk ------- www.roadar.org.uk
post #8 of 10 Old 03-29-2011, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the posts and comments about our new car which we collect on Sunday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmomento
Look out for engine fault light with P2008 code. Perhaps askthedealer whether the solenoid valve fortheinlet manifold runner controlhas been recently replaced. There are many posts on here related tothisand it istheonly "problem" I have encountered. No major issue though and did not impact performance and should cost less than 200 to fix (as long as you avoid dealer prices).
I haven't read anythning about code P2008 other than the comment above, is it really that common ?

Will on the subject of codes, what software do I need to connect to the CMAX to be able to read the codes and where can I get it ?

As a owner of many VAG group cars over the years, I do have a copy of VAG-Com which is superb for reading codes and looking at various things on the car, so I am totally familiar which such PC based systems.

Many Thanks Guy's.

post #9 of 10 Old 04-01-2011, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Had a call today, our CMAX is ready for collection, so have made arrangements for Sunday as busy tomorrow..

Loads of toy's and stuff to get used to..

Can't wait..

post #10 of 10 Old 04-03-2011, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

Collected it today, drives beautifully..

First problem already, noticed radio didn't work as leaving dealer and nobody there to take a look as Sunday, but once home I found fusebox behind glove box it was soon rectified..

Not really had a play yet, but liked the parking sensors and auto wipers, and thought it a nice touch when rear wiper works in reverse.

Drove it 100 miles from dealer and got 42 MPG average down M6 and M1, pleased with that.

More to report later once found my way around the car.

Missus loves it, thats the main thing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page