Occasional remote central locking - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 08-09-2011, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Hello chaps!
Been a C-Max owner for over a year now an happy with it once I got over the petrol consumption and power steering fluid leak. Apart from that it's been excellent.
Only thing that's bothering me at the moment, and I don't know if anyone else has experienced this but my remote locking key only seems to work every now and then. It's completely random. No matter what distance, how hard, how long I press, how high I hold it. Sometimes it works great and sometimes not at all.
I often have to walk around the car right up to the point of putting it in the lock and then it works. It drives me nuts! I've tried replacing the battery in the key, resetting the remote in the car but nothing's improved it. It's still completely random.
Has anyone any idea what could be the cause or had the same issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-10-2011, 10:38 AM

the receiver is up just in front of the front interior light. Earth problems when front screens are changed do cause numerous problems with remotes

Richard
54 Plate 1.6 TDCI LX ~aspiring to be something else
post #3 of 9 Old 08-13-2011, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for replying.
Is there anything I can do about it or is it something I have to live with? Assuming the front screen has been replaced.

post #4 of 9 Old 08-13-2011, 09:22 AM

I have had the same problem. Take out the interior light and check to see that you have a small wire connected to a bolt attached to the screen. Also, the reciever is behind the headlining to the left as you sit in the car. Take this out, only held in with some velco, disconnect it from the sensor wiring and check the connections. Put some conductive grease on the connections and re-connect. Refit everything and check again.

04 plate Ink Blue 1.8 Duratec Ghia. Mods so far, club sticker on rear window and stereo upgrade, 4Q sticker on bootlid and Smurf hanging from rear bumper.

More mods to come as i\'m allowed to.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-13-2011, 01:31 PM

It may be the key fob itself the solder can go on them from time to time it's a simple fix
post #6 of 9 Old 08-15-2011, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips guys, I will try them out.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-20-2011, 11:09 AM

I have been reading the posts regarding remote locking, although I was not experiencing any problems – until yesterday.
We had been using the car, locking and unlocking, without trouble until after lunch when we returned to the car and the remote didn't work. The car had to be opened using the key and putting it into the ignition right away. The first time I wasn't quick enough and the alarm sounded – embarrassing! [img]smileys/smiley9.gif[/img]
When we got home, I tried to lock and open the car, using the remote but no joy. I then tried the spare key to see if, perhaps, it was a battery failure.
The second remote control worked perfectly, so problem with my unit then? NO! My original remote now worked properly and has continued ever since.
There is little as strange as electronic remote controls.[img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]

2009(10reg)1.8TDCi115Titanium
post #8 of 9 Old 11-13-2011, 07:01 AM

Hi Folks,
I don't know if this will interest anyone – but here goes!
Yesterday, the same problem returned.[img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img] This time my remote would not function even after testing the spare remote, which worked perfectly.
Being a clever chap[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img] I decided that this time it must be the battery. 5 lighter (you have to buy two in a pack), I fitted the new battery but still no joy.
There are new keys on the Internet from about 30 upwards but many said that you would need to get them reprogrammed by an auto electrician or (if you are wealthy) by Ford.
This morning I decided to have another go; the remote still did not work. The spare was OK so I got out the manual and carried out the reprogramming procedure – it was very easy and it worked like a dream.
I now have two fully functioning remote keys; hopefully, from now on![img]smileys/smiley20.gif[/img]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo
I have been reading the posts regarding remote locking, although I was not experiencing any problems – until yesterday.
We had been using the car, locking and unlocking, without trouble until after lunch when we returned to the car and the remote didn't work. The car had to be opened using the key and putting it into the ignition right away. The first time I wasn't quick enough and the alarm sounded – embarrassing! [img]smileys/smiley9.gif[/img]
When we got home, I tried to lock and open the car, using the remote but no joy. I then tried the spare key to see if, perhaps, it was a battery failure.
The second remote control worked perfectly, so problem with my unit then? NO! My original remote now worked properly and has continued ever since.
There is little as strange as electronic remote controls.[img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]

2009(10reg)1.8TDCi115Titanium
post #9 of 9 Old 08-01-2012, 02:10 PM

Mine does this but seems to work fine when it's been raining
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page