Noisy Tyres - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 08-30-2011, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Hello,When driving my Cmax I could hear a whinning noise from the rear it was very obvious at about 50 mph, my first thought was the rear wheel bearings as I understand this is acommon fault.So I jacked the car up and spun the wheel by hand and checked for any movement holding tyre top/bottom, nothing obvious.Swapped wheels front to back putting the Pirell's with the small hair line cracks with lots of tread approx 5mmon the front.Noise now coming from the front! and whats more at very low speed a small vibration could felt coming through the steering wheel.Fitted new Avon ZV5's on the front to match the rear, noise gone.I hope this helps some one else as it was bugging the life out of me.Steve

2 Litre Diesel Ghia Titanium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-13-2011, 08:01 AM

Send a message via MSN to Big Budgie
A good website for info about tyres (and to buy them if you want) is www.mytyres.co.uk . You can enter whether you want, summer, winter or whatever and the tyre size and a list of available tyres will appear. Most, but not all, have a link to www.tyretest.com which gives the tyre marks from 1 to 6 for grip, comfort, noise, wear etc. Quite a useful tool when choosing replacement tyres.

2008 2.0 TDCi Zetec
post #3 of 8 Old 09-13-2011, 01:06 PM
33q

I have Bridgestone Turanzos.....very noisy.
I had Bridgestones too on my Tiguan...swapped them to Continentals and peace restored.
Having been made redundant and 'downgraded' to a self funded Cmax I can't bin only half worn tyres so I have to put up with the drone!

2005 2.0 tdci Ghia

post #4 of 8 Old 09-13-2011, 01:24 PM

The problem with at least a few of the Conti alternatives is they wear out too quickly

Richard
54 Plate 1.6 TDCI LX ~aspiring to be something else
post #5 of 8 Old 09-13-2011, 02:57 PM

Send a message via MSN to Big Budgie
My 08 C-Max only had 14,500 miles on it when I bought it. It has Continentals on the back and Tyres called "Fullway" on the front. Neither are particularly noisy, at least, not compared to the Michelins on my Picasso. Thing is, what kind of a crazy so & so can knock out a pair of tyres in that mileage? My Pic had 89K on it when I sold it and two of the tyres were the same ones that were on it when I bought it with 63K. The tyres weren't new then and were still well legal 26K later! I assume the continentals would have been the standard tyre fitted to the C-Max from new?

2008 2.0 TDCi Zetec
post #6 of 8 Old 09-13-2011, 05:03 PM

Have a feel of the inner edge, I dare say the tyres are feathered, this will certainly give the wheel bearing noise as described.One way is swap tyres from L/H side to R/H side and vice versa ( so long as they are non directional tyres ). Occasionally this can indicate missaligned rear wheels, although sometimes it's just down to ceratin tyres being more prone than others.

2010 Titanium 2.0 TDCI Panther Black.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-19-2011, 04:02 PM

[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]HI BARTMANTHANKS FOR THE INFO ABOUT THE NOISY TYRESI ALSO HAVE THIS ,AND HAVE DONE THE SAME TESTS FOR BEARINGS.THINKING ABOUT IT NOW IT STARTED WHEN I CHANGED THE BACK WHEELS TO THE FRONT.SO THANKS THIS HAS SAVED ME A TRIP TO THE REPAIR SHOP.

2004 black 1.8 zetec,black tint rear windows
post #8 of 8 Old 09-20-2011, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky05

[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]HI BARTMANTHANKS FOR THE INFO ABOUT THE NOISY TYRESI ALSO HAVE THIS ,AND HAVE DONE THE SAME TESTS FOR BEARINGS.THINKING ABOUT IT NOW IT STARTED WHEN I CHANGED THE BACK WHEELS TO THE FRONT.SO THANKS THIS HAS SAVED ME A TRIP TO THE REPAIR SHOP.
Glad to be of help !!

2 Litre Diesel Ghia Titanium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page