MPG for 1.8 zetec - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 07-05-2008, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Evening all
Just bought a 4 year old 1.8 zetec c-max with 22000 miles on it. All seems ok but I'm only getting 34 mpg. Is this about right? I'm fairly used to the 1.8 engine as it was in a Focus I owned a few years ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 07-05-2008, 08:14 PM

Hi, I've got a 54 plate 1.8 zetec and i do mostly motorway journeys of 40 mile round trips a day and i only get 36mpg[img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]
I thought a would get at least 40???

2004 1.8 Zetec Petrol 18\'\' Spyders
post #3 of 30 Old 07-06-2008, 10:09 PM

Hi BlueMax

At 34mpg you're doing very well. My partner drives an 02 plate 1.8 focus and gets around 410 miles whereas the C-Max 1.8 struggles to achieve 360 miles. I've checked the specifications and the tanks are the same size (55 litres). Ford seem to have gone backwards rather than forwards. In my opinion, the engine has been married to the wrong gear box - in 4th gear at 50mph, the engine is reving beyond 3,000rpm, whereas the old focus is barely touching 2,500rpm. This forces you into 5th way too early and results in 4,000rpm at 80mph. If I'd know about the shocking economy, I would have opted for the 1.6 TDCi unit.

post #4 of 30 Old 07-16-2008, 09:39 PM

I recently bought a 1.8 ghia, and am getting around 30mpg on average! This can go up to 40mpg withg a very careful right foot on my run to work (which is slow but with little traffic), but sub-30 around town. I'm hoping that as the engine loosens up (it's done just 7000 miles, and not yet had its first service) I'll get a bit more. Not sure how Ford achieved their claimed 'official' average of almost 40mpg.
post #5 of 30 Old 07-17-2008, 06:41 AM

I recently fitted a K&N high flow filter to my 1.8 petrol zetec and after a week of runing it I have now averaged 38.6mpg as opposed to the 36.5mpg I was getting, it seems to be a fractionly quicker and a little smoother as well.

cost - 30 from ebay and 5 mins to fit, with petrol going up daily it seems a worthwhile mod.

.....just bought some xenon type bulbs from ebay as well but they are crap, green tinged light and they claim 50% more light but more like 50% less! I have bought from ''powerbulbs'' in the past and been very happy but thought i'd try ebay as they were only 6.50 deliver but I guess you get what you pay for [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]

post #6 of 30 Old 07-17-2008, 09:50 PM

Filter sounds interesting - 2mpg is worth having, although I'd be please to be getting anywhere near your 36.5 mpg! Presumably will have to instruct the garage not to change it when you get it serviced (assuming you don't do your own). I see these on EBay, so may try one. Must say, I'm usually a bit sceptical about such easy and cheap performance-enhancers, and wonder why Ford wouldn't fit them? Do they allow more dirt into the engine and therefore more engine wear?Edited by: revesby
post #7 of 30 Old 07-18-2008, 06:47 AM

They are specialy constructed to allow more air through but no more dirt thus use less fuel, at the time of service you remove the filter clean it and re-oil (special oil) and refit it so it's good for the environment [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img] (old paper ones used to go in landfill).

I pressume Ford don't fit the because of cost.

as i say i can only comment on my personal experience and it seems to be better all round compared to the old stock one.

...oh and i sent the bulbs back for a refund...

post #8 of 30 Old 07-18-2008, 10:54 AM

I've been thinking about firring one of these filters even though I know nothing about them. *However, I have been told that they are noisey and can affect your insurance. *Is this correct and can they be fitted to diesels?
post #9 of 30 Old 07-18-2008, 12:46 PM

You are getting confused with an induction filter, the one i'm talking about is purely a direct replacement into the existing airbox, it is not any noisier or does it effect the insurance, with an induction filter you replace the stock airbox and yes it does make more noise as it sucks more air and the air is colder therefore denser and burns better (more oxygen) or something??[img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img] and you would need to inform your insurer, on the plus side they do make more difference than just a freeflow filter.

post #10 of 30 Old 07-21-2008, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Just been on holiday and covered nearly 300 miles. Failed to get over 34 mpg in my 1.8 zetec. What are Ford talking about with their claimed combined mpg figures?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page