Mounting a Tom Tom in a C Max - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 09-06-2008, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Hello all

I just bought a 57 C Max and a Tom Tom 730 Sat Nav to go with it, having had withdrawal symptoms from the loss of my built in Sat Nav in the X Trail I just got rid of.

I cant find a decent way of fixing the Tom Tom in or around the dash/windscreen and its driving me nuts! I bought sticky discs to fix the suction cup to, but theywon't stick to the slightly curved and knobbly dash area above the air vents, which is the ideal location for it. If I stick it to the windscreen lower edge I need binoculars to see it and a stick to press the screen cos its so far away! I dont fancy mounting it on the screen near the rear view mirror in case it falls off. I can't be the only personwith a Tom Tom in a C Max so whats the best way to do it? Thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 09-06-2008, 09:30 PM

Hello P-D-P
Although I don't use a Tom Tom too often, location is a problem. I mount it onto the bracket and place it into one of the cup holders. Not the ideal because when you look at it you are not looking where you are going, so I rely more on the sound information. However an earlier post referred to adapting the bracket to fit into the card slots on the dash,but I'm still waitingfor somebody to come up with a cunning plan.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards
post #3 of 28 Old 09-07-2008, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Hello Malc

thanks for that - I agree the cup holders are not a good place, you have to look down too much and thats not really safe. Not sure what you mean by 'card slots' though. I'll carry on working on this and post a solution if I find a good one!

Pete

post #4 of 28 Old 09-07-2008, 10:09 AM

I think What malc means is there are three card slots in the center console to the left of the radio.I remember a past topic on this and someone had found a way to make it fit in those slots.
post #5 of 28 Old 09-07-2008, 11:40 AM

I find there are three usable locations but depend on day or night and if you are using the night colours
Just under the passenger sun visor
Just under the RHS if the driver sun visor (more to listen to than view) and
the drivers door glass set so that you can still see the rear view mirror

There is supposed to be a longer goose neck mount that TOmTom do that would probaly allow you to fit it to the driver side front quaterlight

Richard
54 Plate 1.6 TDCI LX ~aspiring to be something else
post #6 of 28 Old 09-07-2008, 06:54 PM

I made a mount out of old credit cards.I cut a slit into two of them,&cm up & 10cm deep.
I then glued two more end to end so there was a flush fit.
Next day I glued the cut cards to the double length one.Each was 5cm from the join.
When dry,Sat was placed against upright two,I centred it & marked it at the side & front.
I then glued two supporting stripsof wood 5mm high,5mm wide &18 cm long for side supports and 2 small pieces 2cm high & 5mm square.
Next day when all the glue was set,I tried it in the card holders and added sat.Perfect fit.I have since spray painted holder black.
Result
I know this sounds a faff,but it is worth it as the holder is very light and can be put in glove box or left in cup holder (noone will guess what it`s for) & take sat with me.

post #7 of 28 Old 09-07-2008, 08:34 PM

I have a 54 C-max and use a Tom Tom 520T the suction pad fits just below the rear view mirror, make sure the windscreen in this area is perfectly clean or thje suction pad will slip. Hope this helps Cheers Tonyweb
post #8 of 28 Old 09-07-2008, 09:57 PM

i dont have a tom tom but my sat nav does have a long arm on it which allows it to be in the center of the screen.. only littltle problem is vibration.. i solved this by lowering the arm down so the sat nav is closer to the dash then put a peice of foam cut to the same width as the sat nav under it hence no vibration clear screen and close=and also if it comes off the screen not far to fall

karl....
post #9 of 28 Old 09-08-2008, 03:53 PM

Just a thought, call into somewhere like b&q and buy some velcro. It's not over cheap though, the realy strong wide velcro packs are around 8. Then call into your shop and buy a small shaving mirror. Just big enough for the suction cup to stick to. Attach a piece of velcro to the underside of the mirror and stick it on to your dashboard. Leave it go a few hours then using the suction cup, just suction it to the mirror. Obviously work out the best location for the sat nav before sticking down the velcro to the dash. You can easily remove the sat-nav by doing this, and if your careful the mirror or small piece of glass thats velcroed to your dash will not pull free. It may be worth putting something around the edge of the small mirror or glass, just incase it flys free should you emergency stop. I wouldn't wany you getting your throat cut by the edge of the glass.
post #10 of 28 Old 09-08-2008, 06:58 PM

Good idea,I only made my mount cos I was bored due to getting over major surgery.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page