Lost Main key and spare key - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 03-21-2010, 04:10 AM Thread Starter

Hi,

On Wednesday I lost the main key, the one with the remote for locking and unlocking. So I started to use the spare key, no remote. The car would sound the alarm but once the key was in the ignition alarm would stop.

No time to get to a Ford dealer to get a new key, as I had to go up to Aviemore this weekend. So just put up with the alarm.

Then Friday evening could not find the spare key. 2nd key lost, no keys. Locked out of the car. 3 hour drive away from home.

The other problem is that I do not know the key number. The car was bought 2nd hand from a ford dealer. They did not give me the tag that came with the keys originally with the key number.

Spoke to a local Ford dealer to my home town, they quoted me 600GBP or more. Saying that all the locks would need to be replaced, including ignition. They would need to breack into the car. This garage has a reputation. Phoned the garage that I bought the car from, they quoted 160-200GBP. They said they would have to dismantle the lock barrel to read the key number.

Gave up searching for the key all over Aviemore, and called in the recovery people. They sent out Ross Garages of Inverness. They gained entry to the car by forced entry by using skeleton keys. They could not get the steering lock off though. They said that a Ford Dealer should be able to find out the key number by the chassis number, as Ford will have a record.

My question is who is correct?

Can Ford tell me the key number by knowing the chassis number?

As I could start the car with the spare keep, before I lost it. Does this mean the mobiliser has not been set? I think I have never been putting the double lock on, as I have always been locking it by one press, instead of 2 with a 3 second delay

How can I get a key that works with my C-Max? Can Ford find out my key number and supply a key with remote locking, and also a spare key?

The key I had is the key second one down on the right hand column of page 87 of the owners hand book (en RHD 08/2005).

Can anyone help clarify my situation?

Great car to drive. Been loving it.

Simon

Ford C-MAX Zetec 1.8 TDCI 2006
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-21-2010, 03:38 PM

Ford database should hold the key number.
If and when you get your keys, you will need them programmed, your spare key had a chip fitted, they won't start otherwise. A decent auto locksmith should be able to programme keys, it's recommended to have the first 2 keys cleared from memory though!

2010 Titanium 2.0 TDCI Panther Black.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-22-2010, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Hi,

Phoned the garage that I purchased the car from and they told me that Ford do not keep a record of Key numbers of the cars that they manufacture.

Luckily I have found one of the keys. Decided to come out of hiding on Sunday night.

So will get a key cut.

I Am sure ford must keep a record of key numbers in case they need to do a recall. Why would they not keep a record.

Has anyone out there been told by Fors the key number?

Regards,

Simon

post #4 of 7 Old 03-22-2010, 06:10 PM

Sorry to hear of your story mate, but what a nice looking C-Max you have.

I'm sure ford will have a record of the key numbers for the car, sounds daft try another Ford Dealer who might be able to help.

Ford C-Max Zetec 1.6 TDCI - In Moondust Silver
post #5 of 7 Old 03-22-2010, 06:12 PM

The key number can be found by stripping down a lock. its easy to do, ive done it my self. the individual washers have a number stamped on them you just read off the washers in order

2.0 TDCi Ghia 06 in Panther black.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-22-2010, 07:07 PM

Unfortunately they're not like the old Tibbe key, Key No's can be read by looking at them.
If I were you I'd get another key cut, erase the Immobiliser codes and get it reprogrammed to suit your current 2 keys. Failure to do so still leaves your 3rd key ( currently lost ) active on the immobiliser and able to start the car!.

2010 Titanium 2.0 TDCI Panther Black.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-23-2010, 03:43 AM Thread Starter

Hi,

The other FordFranchise inGlasgowwas going to take the lock apart to find out the key number. So that would not have work, as it is not a Tibbe key?

The Ford Garage in Aviemore told methat you can take a photograph and have a keymade that way. Is that not possible either?

It just makes you wonder if these Ford franchisewhy they do not know the facts about key numbers. If so howcan they do proper dignostics on more complex problems. Seems to me you can not trust what these Ford dealers tell you.

Have located a locksmith (http://www.loxmiths.com/2.html) that will do the job, and make a copy. Will takeyour advise and get the other key canceled. If it turns up, will re-program the locks for the old key. Instructions seem simple enough.

Thanks for the advise and compliments.

Simon

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page