C-Max Owners Club banner

Loss of power when trtying to accelerate

7K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Kyleruno 
#1 ·
Hi fellow members I am a newbie and require your vast knowledge in trying to rectify a fault on my 09 C-Max TDCI - 60k miles. I drive my vehicle from Kent to London every night (103 miles each way) to work and to date have never had a problem. For the past 2 days I have had an intermittent fault when pulling away from a standstill I get a loss of acceleration and the car will stall, just cut out with no warning lights showing on the dash, but will start no problem and will qiuet happily run fine again. Thishas happened on 5 occassions now but on my motorway runs it runs fine it only seems to be when at low revs or like I say when pulling away,it doesn;t splutter or kangeroo but just dies of power even when I apply the acc pedal it will not respond and will just cut out requiring me to re-start which it does no problem. As 100 miles of journey is motorway driving it's really a problem at the mo it's just when driving around town it can become annoying !!! Your comments / suggestions will be greatly appreciated

#2 ·
Hi Welcome to the Club!.What Engine is it ( IE 1.6, 1.8 or 2.0 TDCI? )How long have you had the Car?I only ask because even after 19 Months I occasionally stall mine, I tend to pull away with Minimal revs, if I give it say 1200Rpm, I've yet to stall it. Apparently this is normal.

#3 ·
Hi kevmond I've had the car now for nearly a year now, it's the 1.6 TDCI engine. It's definately a fault as I do over a thousand miles a week travelling to work and back and I've not changed anything to my "driving habits" like I mention it's only been happening these past 2 days strangely enough near you last night at Upminster station and also leaving the barrier at the Dartford crossing. RegardsCharlie180807

#5 ·
Hi Charlie,
I have had my C-max for nearly a year and for the first, few weeks experienced the same problem, just as Kevmond says. I learnt to give it a little more welly when pulling away slowly into traffic, at roundabouts for instance, before letting in the clutch. The car seems to require more revs than I was used to applying on my previous Tino. I have now got used to it and it has been a while since I last stalled, but I do lapse occasionally.
Richard G, might well be right and the underlying cause may be the accelerator pedal resister. However, applying just a little more power has solved the problem for me. It could also be that, with the lower powered engine and the same weight of car, you might require to apply even more revs.
The reason that it is only happening now could be that you are now driving a little more gently than you used to. (trying not to burn too much fuel?)

#6 ·
Hi Richard G & Rolo many thanks for your comments I will start checking out your advice given and reply as to my findings... I notice that from other posts also it could be the MAF sensor does anyone know how to check to see if mine is faulty ???Thanks again for your advice chaps much appreciated

#7 ·
QUOTE=Rolo] Richard G, might well be right and the underlying cause may be the accelerator pedal resister. However, applying just a little more power has solved the problem for me. It could also be that, with the lower powered engine and the same weight of car, you might require to apply even more revs.

[/QUOTE]

I've got a 54 plate 1.6TDCI and just about never have stalling problems when pulling away. There did seem to be this higher revs required for the 1.8 diesel from some peoples postings

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.