Looking to get a CMax - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 04-09-2009, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

hi All,

I'm thinking about buying a CMax with around 7k to spend

I have seen some deals for new Titanium's for 11k but these seem to have dried up.

What are the best models/engine range to do for. I have read that the petrols are not that good. I was also going to stay away from the 1.6, but I see that the new range 1.6 has a 110PS variant, and a version of the 2.0l also does 110 PS, in which case I would think that this 1.6 should be quite good. Does this engine appear on earlier models?

Also, what are the DPF versions? I seem them listed but after a lot of Googling, I can't find out what it actually is or means.

Many thanks

Swin

Swin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-09-2009, 09:37 PM

DPF stands for Diesel Particulate Filter, so not relevant vs petrol engines. I have a 1.6 petrol on a 54 plate [100ps]. I usually drive alone, but even with 3/4 adults on board the car pulls well. One just has to drive differently with a smaller engine. With one up I find the car fits my needs just fine. What can I say? It's not the fastest accelerating car in the world, but cruises quietly at 80mph. It is a super smooth engine, great gearbox and is very enjoyable to drive. The only gripe is that one sometimes feels it could do with a 6th gear [3750 revs at 80mph], but what car couldn't do with an extra ratio. I think the 110ps engine probably solves this particular 'problem', if, indeed, it is one Finally, I wasn't looking for a 1.6 either, but tested it because the car was low mileage and very cheap. I was pleasantly suprised, because the engine is very flexible. I haven't regretted my purchase. Check out the very fair review of the 1.6 petrol Cmax at Autocar.com. The 110ps engine is a newish addition, which I think is available on post 2006 cars.
Edited by: romseyraver
post #3 of 7 Old 04-15-2009, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for this description. So what is the difference between diesel engines with and without DPF?

Swin

post #4 of 7 Old 04-15-2009, 11:48 PM

This year or next year DPFs will be manditory on all new diesel motors in Europe. They are supposed to reduce C02, but there are problems with them, or, actually, one problem, which is that they get clogged with soot if you do only stop/start driving without also occassionally blowing out the soot with a fast run. The hyperlink [above] seems not to be working at the moment, but if you look up Diesel Particulate filter on Google, you will find explanations of what DPFs do and warnings about this problem on the AA website and Tusker.com. Seems to me to be something to be avoided, if poss.
Edited by: romseyraver
post #5 of 7 Old 04-16-2009, 01:11 AM

the 54 plate 1.6TDCi diesels do not have the DPF nor do they have the "Ad Blue" extra emission control. The ad blue also needs changing at around 75K miles and is expensive. Ours gives at least 45 MPG whatever and runs at around 2500 - 3000 rpm at the 75 - 80 MPH mark in 5th gear

If you have the choice do try to have the heated Front screen option it makes winter mornings so much easier

Richard
54 Plate 1.6 TDCI LX ~aspiring to be something else
post #6 of 7 Old 04-17-2009, 03:58 AM

I've got a 2L TDCi, and it's terrific on the motorways, turning over just 2000rpm at 70 and returning >50mpg. Economy is a bit pants around town. Early models like mine seem to be more prone to EGR valve issues, but it seems to have been fixed by 55-plate. The diesels are very common now (being shared with Volvo, PSA and others), so I expect the trade is becoming familiar with their foibles.

My rule of thumb would be
1.6 petrols if you mostly do short journeys, or want newest car for the money - there are two engines, the 100hp from the old Focus, and the 115hp with variable valve timing. I've driven them and they get a bit raucous if you like lane 3 on the motorway as the gearing is short
1.6 TDCi if you want maximum economy (but look for 110hp version)
2.0 TDCi if you spend a lot of time on motorways or overtaking - not for short journeys as the fuel economy plummets and modern diesel clutches appear to be a bit fragile.

Steer clear of the 1.6TDCi with CVT automatic - appear to have been problematic and were withdrawn quite a while ago now.

There's going to be a few horror stories around for every car money can buy, but by and large the C-Max appears to not suffer too many electronics gremlins.

I've had one breakdown (touch wood) in 70k, due to a knackered crankshaft sensor (which doesn't appear to be a particular weakness of the type).
post #7 of 7 Old 04-27-2009, 02:19 AM

pm sent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page