limp home ? 2.0 deisel - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 06-15-2010, 03:28 AM Thread Starter

Hi again all, got a wierd one for you.
Was towing my caravan home last week when warning beep sounded and ESP problem light lit up.
At the same instant the engine went into limp home mode. I crept along to the next layby. After scratching my head I turned engine off, waited a while then started it again. Low and behold full power again and I made it home from Cornwall to Kent without a hitch. Been alright since.
Anyone experienced this ? Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-15-2010, 02:19 PM

This hasn't yet happened to me but it seems to be quite a common problem with Fords, but not just the C-Max. Funnily enough you have triggered something in my memory which is telling me to switch off the ESP when towing. Nothing to do with your problem, but more to do with starting from a standstill on a steep hill. I'll try to find where I read it.

Incidentally, in limp mode, how fast can you actually go?

Tony

2009 2.0 Tdci Zetec
post #3 of 6 Old 06-15-2010, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Hi Tony, while towing we could do about 10 mph, a bit hairy on a busy dual carriage way. I think 10 is about all it would do anyway as Cmax tows easily.
I had a C-max prev. to this one ,which soon after I bought it started this trouble. Especially on cold winter starts. The car was very difficult to even start and smoked like ****.This was sorted out under warranty , took about 6 weeks. A valve in the exhaust side was sticking andreplaced ,no problem after that.
Anyway just turning engine off and on seemed to reset it this time, and I breathed a sigh of relief.
Jim

post #4 of 6 Old 06-15-2010, 03:18 PM

CTRL ALT DEL for cars

2.0 TDCi Ghia 06 in Panther black.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-25-2010, 04:04 AM

EGR valve failure can cause this when it sticks in recirculation mode.

A knowledgeable Ford dealer tech (yes, astonishingly they do exist) says that if the valve sticks open then you may be OK for a bit, but when the engine is asked for a lot of power (e.g. motorway incline or when towing), the temperature of the exhaust gas being recirculated goes up. To avoid damaging the engine when this high temperature occurse, the engine management closes it down to basically idle. You might be able to get 10mph in 3rd gear at this speed.

Turning it on & off clears the fault temporarily, but it may recur as the symptom is the EGR valve getting clagged up, and is particularly a problem for earlier C-Max diesel. Any experienced dealer should be aware of this as ford put out a spate of service messages about this issue.

If it is the EGR valve (diagnostic should tell), and recurs after replacement, then the valve has not been properly programmed/calibrated by the repairer in software
post #6 of 6 Old 06-25-2010, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_leics
EGR valve failure can cause this when it sticks in recirculation mode.

A knowledgeable Ford dealer tech (yes, astonishingly they do exist) says that if the valve sticks open then you may be OK for a bit, but when the engine is asked for a lot of power (e.g. motorway incline or when towing), the temperature of the exhaust gas being recirculated goes up. To avoid damaging the engine when this high temperature occurse, the engine management closes it down to basically idle. You might be able to get 10mph in 3rd gear at this speed.
I'm not certain about the tech's explanation
The amount the EGR valve is open increases as the amount of air going through the engine increases as for increased power or more torque (The higher the load the greater %age of exhaust that can be dealt with so as to still maintain a steady flame front travel speed in respect of combustion in the cylinder.

As far as I am aware the temperature of the mixture fed back into the inlet manifold is kept within the proper limits by feeding it (or otherwise depending on the temperature)through an intercooler (it's perhaps the intercooler bypass temperature sensor that is the problem)

I have had an EGR valve stick open on aprevious pertol car and it then made it appear very "lumpy" at idle almost as though it were only running on three cyl

Richard
54 Plate 1.6 TDCI LX ~aspiring to be something else
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page