Leaking Boot! - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 03-24-2010, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

When I got my C-Max about 2 weeks ago I noticed that there was a pool of water in the spare wheel well about 1/4 inch deep. I initially assumed that it was a leak but part of me hoped that it was just a build up condensation over a long period of time as there are no drainage holes in the base of the wheel well. The carpet wasn't wet and no other signs of water were visible.
However the car has now been subjected to 2 days ofpretty much constant rain and I've nowseen water dripping down the right hand side of the boot and heading towards the wheel well.

The dripsseem to be first visible at the base of the white cover where it touches the top of the parcel shelf rest. From there it tracks its way down past the boot light and 12v power socket and onto, and under the carpet.

I know that this has been mentioned several timesbefore on this site asquite a few others have had this problem,but has anyone actually had this same problem and solved it completely?

I found some info on another site where the owner of an 06 plate Ford Focus found out that his leak (which sounded very similar) was caused by water coming into the car via the bolts that hold on the rear spoiler. He removed the cover and found droplets of water on 2 of the bolts. The water then tracked it's way down the outside of the white cover and onto the boot.
The main difference with mine is that the water seems to be on the inside of the white cover rather than the outside.

Has anyone investigated this area and found it to be the problem as I'd rather not go pulling bits of trim off before taking to the dealers, but as others haven't had much look with their dealers I'd quite like to go there armed with the knowledge of where it's actually coming into the car.

This cars not booked in untilthe 12th of April as that's the earliestthey could fit me in apparently! [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]

2009 - 2.0 TDCI Zetec
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-24-2010, 11:01 PM

I two got my cmax two weeks ago it is a 07 face liftmk2 model
and Ihave traces of the same leak you have but mine is on the near side and i cant decide where it comes from as there are no other sign of waterabovewhere the parcel shelf sits
on the tis disc for the mk1 model they say to check tightness of boot against the rubber seal with a piece of paper to see how tight it is,on mineI have noted that the gap on my boot to roof is approx 3mm wider on the near sidethan on the offside so in my case that could be the problem seal not tight enough the garage I purchased mine is however 35miles away so whilst I should take it back I may well just loosen the bolts and move the boot in slightly to tighen the seal and see if that fixes it

08 mk2 1800tdi zetec cmax and focus RS mk1 for a big boys toy
post #3 of 6 Old 03-25-2010, 03:07 PM

after the heavy rain last night I have looked at my car this morning and sure enough water at that same spot I removed the white panel and there is a trace of water running down the back of the panel on looking behind the roof linning and feeling in up the back of the head linning there is a trace of water which must be getting in at some point under the black strip that runs over the roof where the roof panel joins with the side panel
back to dealer I purchased it from I think

post #4 of 6 Old 03-25-2010, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Hopefully nowyou'll be able to point the dealer in the right direction of where the leak is coming from and save some time and hassle re-visiting them!

I looked at mine quickly this morning and noticed that there is water coming from the white cover that hides the bolts to the rear spoiler. Therefore, it seems as though mine is leaking in the same wayas the chap with the Focus mentioned in my previous post.
However, I can't quite work out how it's getting from there to the base of the C-Pillar before tracking downto theside of the boot, as thetailgateis separated from the headlining and C-Pillar etcby the rubber surround. I think that I'm going to have to sit in the car whilst it rains heavily and hope to see how.

I'm hoping that it's not leaking in 2 places - below the spoiler and below the black strip on the roof like yours!

Let us know how you get on at the dealers as mine isn't in until the 12th April and any info could be useful to solving the leaks.

Cheers.

2009 - 2.0 TDCI Zetec
post #5 of 6 Old 03-25-2010, 07:38 PM

mines going in on tuesday they did say they new of a problem round the arial but I explained cars not moved and that would run to the front not the back of the car I will keep you posted on the result

post #6 of 6 Old 04-16-2010, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

As promised here's an update on the leak I had in the boot area.

The car went to the local dealers where they found 2 leaks. They ended up keeping the car overnight as they had to remove quite a bit of trim to locate exactly where the water was coming from.

As it was all done under warranty I wasn't actually given any paper work, but from what they told me, and from looking at the car, they have sealed the area around the drivers side hinge for the hatch, andthe seam just to the right of this. Thankfully it doesn't look unsightly as they've use some sort of sealant that's the same colour as the car.

Apparently they've also replaced the drivers side gutter strip as there was water coming in from under it somewhere as well.
Before taking the car in I saw the odd drop of water coming from under the spoiler area of the hatch - I don't recall them mentioning anything about this area to me so either they've missed this or the water was tracking to this area from the areas they've fixed.I'll have a better idea when it rains next as since picking the car up it hasn't rained so I've been unable to test it.

It seems as though the hinge area and the area under the gutter strip are quite common problem areas and worth checking out first if you have water entering the boot and you want to attempt to fix it yourself if your car is not under warranty.

2009 - 2.0 TDCI Zetec
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page