Headlamps - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 11-29-2008, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Hi,
Can the headlamps on CMAX (2004 Tdci Ghia) model be adjusted for laterally (sideways) for driving in countries where they drive on the right hand side. Therefore not dazzle traffic in the opposite direction. Stickers is not a solution, I need a permanent solution.
Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-29-2008, 06:31 PM

As far as I know masking is the only alternative available for UK headlamps
I suspect a lot of the beam shape is in the lamp reflector rather than the plastic front but maybe not

How about seeing if we have any foreign forum members who could get you a R/H traffic set then all you'd need to do would be unbolt and swap the whole unit

Richard
54 Plate 1.6 TDCI LX ~aspiring to be something else
post #3 of 8 Old 11-30-2008, 01:27 AM

The only real way as Richard says is to use deflectors.They must be fitted spot on or you`ll get an on the spot fine especially in France where they will be on the look out for UK cars & pull you over at any chance.

post #4 of 8 Old 11-30-2008, 08:42 AM

The TIS disc includes two sets of dimensioned masks for the headlights to use in the opposite hand trafic country I can forward a copy if you want

Richard
post #5 of 8 Old 11-30-2008, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. However I am keeping the car abroad permanently. I ve been told that I must have the lights adjusted or changed in order to pass the french MOT equivalent.
The lights have some adjustment slots (hexagonal, yellow). I do not know what these are used for. The vehicle already has a motorised dip lamps, which used to adjust the vertical light projection when the vehicle is loaded. So not sure what these adjustement slots are for.

Cheapest quote for a set of new LHD headlamps is 300 euros. So I'd prefer to investigate manual adjustment if possible.

post #6 of 8 Old 11-30-2008, 06:05 PM

It's quite probable that you would have to have the lamp units changed

If you look at the beam when projected onto a vertical surface you will see that there is an area to what is the UK nearside that gets bigger towards the kerb. For Left Hand Traffic this will need to be on the other side (towards the UK offside) This is a function of the optics of the reflector of the lamp and not an adjustable quantity for the normal headlamps,

Had you had the HID headlamps then there is a lever that allows for left hand traffic because apparently the optics with these are so much more tightly controlled because of the extra lumens output

Richard
post #7 of 8 Old 12-07-2008, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

I've decided to purchase a set of LHD lamps. They've cost 300 euros. (Hopefully I can recuperate some of this cost by selling the RHD pair [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]).

I will give a try to changing them myself. If anyone has experience in doing this, any tips would be wlecomed.

Thanks.

post #8 of 8 Old 12-07-2008, 10:01 PM

For headlamps read bulb change
The initial part is the same
Undo the retaining screw on the top and then gently release the plastic clips at the back and the whole unit slides out and then the opposite hand traffic unit will slide back in its place

Several other threads on the subject in hear as well

Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page