GEARBOX - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-19-2010, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

I have a 2 1/2 year old C - Max and the problem is that my 5th gear has gone, it started with a thud which travelled up the pedals, then a squealing and then it wouldn't work at all. Well, the car has been in Lifestyle Ford of Crawley for 7 weeks now. The first week they did not touch the car, at the end of the 2nd week they were able to tell me there was a problem with 5th gear!! New parts were ordered but were wrong, so these were sent back for some modified parts instead, these did not work so eventually, and to cut a very long story short, they ordered a new gearbox. This was supposed to be with them last week but never turned up. The lady from the garage just rang me a bit earlier and said that they have found another gearbox that they might be able to get a bit sooner but it is more expensive - sounds like it is secondhand and I thought they only used new parts under warranty. This whole 7 week scenario has been very stressful as for 4 weeks I did not have a courtesy car or hire car and when we do have one we are not told when to take it back or how long we have got it for. I have cancelled a camping holiday in Cornwall because I just didn't know what was going on. I re-scheduled our holiday for this Friday and have asked Ford for a big enough car to take family and camping gear. Should Ford supply a new gearbox and not a secondhand one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-19-2010, 11:00 PM

Are you 100% sure that it is being done under warranty? It sounds like they were asking you to authorise the more expensive option and ultimately expect you to pay at the end of the day.

08 1.8 Titanium C-Max *ST Styled* With Car PC Fitted
Previous:54 1.6TDCi LX Focus C-Max
post #3 of 7 Old 07-19-2010, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Yes, customer care have confirmed it is being done under warranty, Ford have also been paying for a hire car.

post #4 of 7 Old 07-20-2010, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

The latest is- Lifestyle Ford of Crawley contacted me this afternoon to say the car will be ready on Friday, that's not good enough, they also said that a hire car arrangement is no longer available - I am absolutely gutted because the gearbox isn't expected at the garage until Friday, and I cannot see the car being ready this week. I have argued with Customer Care that the whole episode is their fault, the parts department sent the wrong parts, the modified parts didn't work etc. All this through no fault of my own, I have done nearly 40,000 miles in this car and I have to say I have enjoyed it very much but the after care is absolutely diabolical and anyone thinking of buying a new Ford should seriously think twice.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-20-2010, 11:15 PM

Remember that one dealer isn't the same of every single other dealer - they'reindependentcompanies that Ford have no control over day to day activities.
I'd look at possibly writing to Ford themselves and complaining.

08 1.8 Titanium C-Max *ST Styled* With Car PC Fitted
Previous:54 1.6TDCi LX Focus C-Max
post #6 of 7 Old 07-21-2010, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

I have e-mailed the Customer Relations Director. It's not only the dealership, it is also the parts department. The lady at the dealership keeps telling me 'we are all one company' - I am just sick of all of this, it's not only me, my family have been looking forward to going on holiday as well. I am not going to pay to hire a car as I am unemployed at the moment.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-21-2010, 12:25 AM

I would ring Ford Motor Co and speak with their customer service department.
Explain the full circumstances and point out that the vehicle has been in pieces for an extended period of time which is unacceptable as the vehicle is still under warranty and more importantly clearly is not fit for purpose. mention that you are considering speaking at the conclusion of the call with Trading Standards.
Point out that you have had to rebook a holiday and now you are being told you can no longer have a courtesy car.
You may then find that Ford themselves will sort things.
I once bought a new vauxhall cavalier SiI which witihn weeks exhibited signs of corrosion.
After 3 trips to the body shop after which the problem kept occurring Vauxhall Head Office were involved.
They lent me a brand new top of the range vehicle for 2 months and took my car back to the factory where it was reshelled as a waranty claim.
Not only that but I was told that if I chose to buy another Vauxhall at any time they would enhance the deal.
Sure enough a couple of years later I bought a Corsa as a second car and they honoured their word.

Best of luck.

57 Titanium 1.6 110 DPF, X Sport pack, panoramic roof,Sony 6 CD changer with voice control bluetooth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page