fuel consumption - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 08-06-2007, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

hi everyone, we have a new 1600cc (petrol)C Max and the petrol consumption is terrible, 27.9 mpg and thats driving it very carefully, we have done 1000 miles in it now and today we took it back to the ford dealer (Polar Ford) to have it checked over, they say this is normal and there is nothing wrong with the car, where do we go from here ?, i have seen other forums and its the same story there too. This is a motability car so maybe we contact them next to see what they say, all of fords bump says this car will do over 40 mpg.
Thx in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 08-13-2007, 10:57 AM

Hi, is the 40 mpg combined, if so as i expect, if you do city driving you will get a lot less than the 40mpg qouted as i have found out on several other cars. I think you would get a nearer figure if you checked the Urban mpg, not good news i know.Probably if you were motorway driving at 50mph on cruize control you would get your 40 mpg [img]smileys/smiley22.gif[/img]
post #3 of 26 Old 08-13-2007, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

hi, thx for the reply, at a steady 60mph on motorway driving we are getting just about 40mpg but driving around town its drinks fuel, 27.9mpg which is scary, a big difference to what Ford say this car should do, its cheaper to go by bus almost.
Is this a common fault with this model of C Max ? [img]smileys/smiley21.gif[/img]

post #4 of 26 Old 08-13-2007, 07:39 PM

I think you will find its a common fault with all car manufactures, i have just ordered a 2.0 automatic Titanium and the salesman said i should get about 34 mpg, i wont hold me breath and i expect to get around 25 to 27 mpg, I dont know who they use for there test drives but i think all makers use the same guy.Lol. Apart from that how do you find the car.
post #5 of 26 Old 08-13-2007, 07:42 PM

Its a shame the club has so few members as it would be intering to see what other owners get mpg[img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]
post #6 of 26 Old 08-14-2007, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

good morning, we find the car fantastic in every way bar the fuel consumption, cant find a fault with it (YET), my daughter and myself are severly disabled and this is the only car we could find that is easy to get into and out of, the boot is very big and once all the rear seats are removed the area is huge, it has a low sill so loading is very easy too.
i will let you know of any developments with this fuel consumption prob, we have not finished with fords yet, lol.
thx again for the reply. [img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]
post #7 of 26 Old 08-14-2007, 08:51 AM

this is a bone of contention with all manufactures and has been talked about at length on the other forums.
auto express did a study a couple of month ago into "claimed" mpg figures from the manufactuers and found that all of them are total rubbish. they found that on average you would be looking at fuel economey figures 20% worse than what manufactures claim.
personally i dont think your mpg figures are that bad for a 1.6 petrol moving such a big car, we have a 2.0tdci on a 04 plate and it only does 36ish mpg all week only does 6.5mile aday gets low 40's on a run but have yet to see fords "claimed" figures on nearly 50mpg
oh forgot hello to everyone
andyEdited by: taztdci
post #8 of 26 Old 08-14-2007, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

greets, thx for the reply, yea i think you are prob right, the C Max is a fairly big car, poss the 2.0 better on fuel, we'll see what happens next with fords and take it from there.
we have a Mondeo TD and can get 60mpg on motorway runs all the time and this C Max has come as a big shock to us, prob been spoiled by TD mpg lol, i seen in another forum someone has took legal action againt ford for false advertising so i'll try to find out the outcome of that.
thx once again. [img]smileys/smiley10.gif[/img]
post #9 of 26 Old 08-14-2007, 10:23 AM

I've got a 1.8TDCi, with approx 13,000 miles on the clock. On a recent holiday in the UK I got on average between 55 and 60mpg on various different legs of the journey, and that was with air con on, the car heavily loaded, and driving mostly on motorways between 50 and 70mph. Travelling around local country lanes on holiday I got around 45mpg.

The best fuel economy I've ever got is on a 250 mile motorway journey, and that was 64.9. I was driving at mostly 60mph on that trip, and had fueled up on the motorway at the start, so the car was warmed up and had no slow roads or stop-start traffic to lower the average.

On my 35 mile journey mixed roads journey to work I get around 50mpg.

However, around town on short trips I'm lucky to get 30mpg. Normally it's around 25mpg. It's even worse when my wife drives the car, as it only gets driven on very short trips where it doesn't warm up.

I know the fuel economy readings on my car are within 1mpg accuracy because I worked it out manually once.

post #10 of 26 Old 08-14-2007, 04:18 PM

Well there you are then, not good is it, i would probably have gone for a diesel if they made an Automatic for the better MPG, but then Diesel is dearer than petrol and from what i hear is dearer to service, so i suppose it evens itself out.
Edited by: Baz1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page