Fitting car seats? - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 07-13-2010, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

We had an accident on Saturday and have a c-max as a courtesy car. I have checked the Maxi Cosi website and our car seat should fit in the car. But we are having problems fitting it. It seems that the seatbelt isn't locking so there's too much slack in the belt so the seat goes forward.

Can anyone help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-13-2010, 12:42 PM

We use a maxi cosi in our cmax on the left hand rear seat without any problem.
In fact it sometimes is awkward to get enough belt around it as they seem fairly short.
If the issue is with the belt not locking please remember that pulling on a belt will not always cause it to lock. It is the sudden deaccelleration in an emergency that causes the inertia mechanism to activate.
Ihave owned a number of cars where the belt won't lock by pulling on it.
Hope this assists you.

57 Titanium 1.6 110 DPF, X Sport pack, panoramic roof,Sony 6 CD changer with voice control bluetooth.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-13-2010, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olliesgrandad
We use a maxi cosi in our cmax on the left hand rear seat without any problem.
In fact it sometimes is awkward to get enough belt around it as they seem fairly short.
If the issue is with the belt not locking please remember that pulling on a belt will not always cause it to lock. It is the sudden deaccelleration in an emergency that causes the inertia mechanism to activate.
Ihave owned a number of cars where the belt won't lock by pulling on it.
Hope this assists you.

Thanks. Surely the seat should feel secure when you pull in it though? It's just moving forward. Also as you can imagine after having someone smash into the back of my car with my little boy in it iamvery nervous about the whole thing now.

post #4 of 8 Old 07-13-2010, 12:53 PM

I don't think pulling on it will replicate the forces exerted in an accident so don't get too hung up about that- I had 30 years of experience attending road accidents in the police and never encountered a belt failure, but did encounter a number of miraculous survivals due to belts.
As an aside - was that particular seat in use in the accident - if so it should be scrapped and replaced according to the manufacturers - submit the cost of replacement to your insurers.

57 Titanium 1.6 110 DPF, X Sport pack, panoramic roof,Sony 6 CD changer with voice control bluetooth.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-13-2010, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I don't think pulling on it will replicate the forces exerted in an accident so don't get too hung up about that- I had 30 years of experience attending road accidents in the police and never encountered a belt failure, but did encounter a number of miraculous survivals due to belts.
As an aside - was that particular seat in use in the accident - if so it should be scrapped and replaced according to the manufacturers - submit the cost of replacement to your insurers.
We're getting a new seat tomorrow - the same one again - so were justchecking it fitted ok as i'm due at work on thursday so didn't want to have problems tomorrow.

Maybe it's just because in our own car the seatbelt locks once the car seat is in and is very secure so i'm used to that.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-13-2010, 01:17 PM

Has the cmax got the isofix points in the bottom of the seat back exposed ?(2 square plastic pieces marked isofix). If so you can get an isofix base for your maxi- cosi ( a bit pricey I know)and install it without using seat belts.
We didn't get the isofix base because at the time didn't have the cmax.
Also they are so heavy and his parents don't have isofix in their car.
When Ollie is a bigger boy we are going to keep a seat permanently installed with isofix in our car.
We are considering a new one from Britax for 9 months to 4 years which is isofix only fitting with a top tether.

post #7 of 8 Old 07-13-2010, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Has the cmax got the isofix points in the bottom of the seat back exposed ?(2 square plastic pieces marked isofix). If so you can get an isofix base for your maxi- cosi ( a bit pricey I know)and install it without using seat belts.
We didn't get the isofix base because at the time didn't have the cmax.
Also they are so heavy and his parents don't have isofix in their car.
When Ollie is a bigger boy we are going to keep a seat permanently installed with isofix in our car.
We are considering a new one from Britax for 9 months to 4 years which is isofix only fitting with a top tether.

It's not an isofix seat as we can't use isofix in our own car. Even though it's got isofix points we have compartments in the floor (renault scenic) so can't have the supporting leg!

Thanks for your help.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-13-2010, 06:47 PM

Hi

1. Are we talking about an infant carrier or a seat for 1-4 yr olds? If an infant carrier, as Olliesgrandad says, if anything, the belt is a bit short, and you have to tilt the seat a little towards the rear of the car to loop the belt round it.
2. I think you should buy the new seat from somewhere that fits them e.g. Mothercare...they will tell you whether it's all OK or not. I have to say it doesn't sound quite right to me.
3. I THINK that the belts will lock if they are pulled sharply. you can test that by checking all the other belts in the c-max.

Good luck

As an aside, Ollie's Grandad
Quote:
Has the cmax got the isofix points in the bottom of the seat back exposed ?(2 square plastic pieces marked isofix).
remember that you don't actually have to have the square plastic pieces fitted, especially if you're not going to keep getting the seat in and out. See another thread on isofix that I've posted on - sorry can't remember exactly where atthe moment.

2004 (54 plate) 1.6 TDCi Ghia auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page