Electrical problem with C-Max - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 12-03-2011, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

I have a 54 plate 1.6 Tdci C-Max Ghia which I have owned for about 9 months and it has about 70,000 miles on the clock. Since buyingthe car I have encountered an extremely annoying problem which has now happened about five times after I have left the car overnight or undriven for a few days. I basically have returned to my car to the find that,amongst other things,the central locking, the indicators and the headlights do not work. The problem is rectified by disconnecting the battery, waiting a couple of minutes and then reconnecting it again. Obviously this is not something I wish to go on doing but before sending the car to a Ford garage for a diagnostic test I wondered if anyone had any ideas as to what could be wrong. Apologies if this question has been posed before but I am new and could not find anything related to this particular topic when I searched. Thanks very much in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-04-2011, 04:58 PM

Could you perhaps give us a little more detail of what doesn't work when and what you were trying to at the time. there are some of the faults you mention where in certain instances they are related

Richard
54 Plate 1.6 TDCI LX ~aspiring to be something else
post #3 of 9 Old 12-05-2011, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply. These problems have arisen when I have started the carafter it has been left undriven for a day or two. The main faults are that the central locking and the indicators don't work and the headlights areconstantly on but only on a dipped setting (it is not possible to change the setting to main beam). Also the car radio doesn't work and the handbrake icon is illuminated constantly on the dashboard (I have an electric handbrake). Apart from that the car is mechanicallyfine and can be driven but it is of course not advisable with no indicators or headlights! Any ideas what it could be? Your help would be much appreciated.

post #4 of 9 Old 12-05-2011, 06:56 PM

The only common thing I can find at a quick first look is the Central Junction Box. I don't however know of any easy way to eliminate what might be the fault

Richard
54 Plate 1.6 TDCI LX ~aspiring to be something else
post #5 of 9 Old 12-06-2011, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Hi Richard, Thanks for your response. Shall I just take the car to a Ford dealer then and say there's a problem with the Central Junction Box?

Does anyone else have any suggestions? Thanks.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-06-2011, 05:21 PM

Do you know if the car has had a replacement alternator during it`s life & is it the original battery.If they are both original then either one or both could need changing.
Richard is also very clued up so it may well be the CJB but now you know there are a couple of other things to look out for.
Welcome to the club too[img]smileys/smiley31.gif[/img].
MM

MetalMicky ( Mike)

2004 2.0 TDCI Zetec
post #7 of 9 Old 12-06-2011, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks very much for your suggestions. Will get it checked into the garage and let you know what they find!
post #8 of 9 Old 01-18-2012, 05:46 PM

We had similar issues (just got it back from the stealers actually - hopefully they'll have actuallly fixed it this time), wipers would come on very slowly (by themselves), sidelights would come on, central locking wouldn't work. All these faults happened with engine off.

I traced it to water in the fusebox, and sodden relays.

This was traced to a leak from the windscreen, through the aerial, and also somewhere on the bulkhead.

Do check your dash-top storage bin (the one directly between you and the windscreen) to see if it's damp or wet. Water drips down from there, directly onto the fuse box apparently, causing shorting and corrosion on the terminals on the relays and main bus.

post #9 of 9 Old 01-23-2012, 10:45 AM

I have just had my ecu repaired as it was affected by moisture/water. This ecu is the one in the passenger foot well and controls th eclocks central locking etc. It might be worth giving this a squirt with wd40?

cx max 2006 ( 56) 1.6 zetec manual with air con
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page