Driving In The Snow - C-Max Specific Tips - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 12-21-2009, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Just a reminder guys, when setting off from a journey make sure you turn the auto heated screens off. They will turn off automatically but often five times as long as they need to be which saps energy and fuel out the car.

If you have the higher trim levels Ford highly recommend you set the steering to Sport to get better feedback through the wheel about what the tyres are doing/not doing.

And finally it's normally recommended to turn the ESP off as it's can apply brakes and slow you down when your wheels brake traction and momentum is what you need to carry you through. ESP is designed primarily to aid in the stability of the car when turning at speed etc - driving in snow and ice can fool the system into activating which can make the car behave counter-intuitively.

The last two settings can be activated/deactivated through the menu on the dash cluster.

Happy and safe motoring!

08 1.8 Titanium C-Max *ST Styled* With Car PC Fitted
Previous:54 1.6TDCi LX Focus C-Max
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 12-21-2009, 06:02 PM

Thanks for the tips mate, think mine is already set to Sport since I got the car, never thought of turning the ESP off, but will do that as it's quite snowy where we are.

Ford C-Max Zetec 1.6 TDCI - In Moondust Silver
post #3 of 21 Old 12-21-2009, 09:51 PM

Hi,Just a quick one, Heated screens turn on automatically primarilyto clear the screens, secondly, it warms the car up quicker due to a higher load being placed on the Alternator.

post #4 of 21 Old 12-22-2009, 01:37 AM

How do you turn offf the ESP?

09 1.6 TDCI Titanium, presume the ESP warning light, is a car with wigly lines. Still finding out things as my pevious was 04 2.0 TDCI Zetec and it did not have half the controls this new one has.

al fords

post #5 of 21 Old 12-22-2009, 07:02 AM

Mine (or really Mrs StatusBaby's) C-Max is at the moment deserted due to the 4 inches or so of snow that fell in London today. As the council have decided to spend my money on anything but gritting the roads, and as we have this problem at least once a year, I am seriously thinking about investing in snow chains - has anyone experience of these ?

Thanks for a very informative forum BTW
post #6 of 21 Old 12-22-2009, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmond
Hi,Just a quick one, Heated screens turn on
automatically primarilyto clear the screens, secondly, it warms the
car up quicker due to a higher load being placed on the Alternator.

The heated screens are designed to clear the windscreen within 1minute yet remain on for up ot if not over 5. Chances are if you're driving anyway the screens will be clear. As to the higher oad...you'll find that the system wide voltage is much lower as a result of both screens being on so the AC won't get as warm or blow as strong so there isn't really much in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by al fords
How do you turn offf the ESP?

09 1.6 TDCI
Titanium, presume the ESP warning light, is a car with wigly lines.
Still finding out things as my pevious was 04 2.0 TDCI Zetec and it did
not have half the controls this new one has.

al fords
Scroll through the cluster information using the stalk on the left. You'll come to a option that has menu written on it. Select that and it's the first option. You can also use that to change the steering sensitivity but only when the car is stopped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatusBaby
Mine (or really Mrs StatusBaby's) C-Max is at the moment deserted due to the 4 inches or so of snow that fell in London today. As the council have decided to spend my money on anything but gritting the roads, and as we have this problem at least once a year, I am seriously thinking about investing in snow chains - has anyone experience of these ?

Thanks for a very informative forum BTW
They're only worth it if you have some serious regular snow. If you leave them on they'll also badly damage the roads surfaces when the snow gets thinner and confuse the driver aids. You're better off just purchasing a set of winter tyres.

08 1.8 Titanium C-Max *ST Styled* With Car PC Fitted
Previous:54 1.6TDCi LX Focus C-Max
post #7 of 21 Old 12-22-2009, 01:17 PM

A bit of snow and the country falls apart. i could not beleivethat woman on the news last night crying cos she was late for work. F me if the weathers bad leave earlier or dont bother.

i have noticed over the last, say 10 years or so that some people just cant cope with snow. why is it so difficult today. (who remembers the snows of 1987. ) is still got to work infact i have never not been able to get to my destination and yes i have got through deep snow and by deep i meen more than a foot.

2.0 TDCi Ghia 06 in Panther black.
post #8 of 21 Old 12-22-2009, 02:25 PM

Garage
Well here in Norway we ALWAYS have a good amount of snow.

However every year it still come sneaking up on people so the first few days with snow its mayhem.

I myself find it wery amusing borowing a rearwheel drive car and go crayzy on new snow.
post #9 of 21 Old 12-22-2009, 03:10 PM

how do you do a handbrake turn when you have an EPB?

2.0 TDCi Ghia 06 in Panther black.
post #10 of 21 Old 12-22-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshal
A bit of snow and the country falls apart. i could not beleivethat woman on the news last night crying cos she was late for work. F me if the weathers bad leave earlier or dont bother.

i have noticed over the last, say 10 years or so that some people just cant cope with snow. why is it so difficult today. (who remembers the snows of 1987. ) is still got to work infact i have never not been able to get to my destination and yes i have got through deep snow and by deep i meen more than a foot.
Well I admire your sentiments but those of us who run our own businesses or have people who rely on us really don't have the option of not bothering to go to work.

IMHO the reason people can cope less and less with snow is because fewer peoplehave experience with front wheel drives in the snow, and because councils everywhere are not gritting as much as they used to.

I remember the days when as soon as snow was forecast the gritting lorries would be out. I remember people complaining that the council had spread grit and then the forecast snow didn't arrive. I live in North London and it must be a good 5 years since I've seen a gritting lorry out. I live on a hill and yesterday a bus dangerously careered out of control and blocked a major junction for at least 4 hours. The only gritting that has been done is by individuals who have scooped their way through the rubbish that accumulates in the grit bins (which are all now empty as people remove grit to do their drives etc.) and of course they do their drive and the path outside their house.

I awoke this morning to see the debris of three or four minor accidents visible from my window, and about 30 cars just deserted at the side of the road.

After the thaw I think I'll still get those snow chains :!:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page