Diesel Tuning Performance Chip - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 12-19-2008, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Hi all,

I'm a newbie in these parts, so please be gentle

Having recently bought an 04 2.0 TDCI Ghia C-MAX, I am looking to improve MPG, which, as other people have found, is way off the projected 50MPG (combined) as advertised by Ford.

Does anyone have any experience of one of these (99)? Will it do as is advertised, in particular, improve MPG?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Diesel-Tuning-Performance-Chip-Ford-focus-C-Max-TDCI_W0QQitemZ110314381388QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Ca rsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item110314381388 &_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2 %7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

I have noticed MetalMickey is using a Tunit, but as nearly 500, this is a little out of my price range.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-19-2008, 08:14 PM

Hello again , you need to be carefull with this topic, the expensive tuning boxs do calculate various parameters and give good power returns and a little increase in mpg by carefully increaseing the pressure of the common rail. However the cheap boxes are little more than a transistor,diode and potentiometer which just magnifies the ecu signal and increases common rail pressure massively or tricks the ecu into thinking the engine is cold (more fuel). I had an expensive box on one of my previous cars and it worked well. IMO try to change your driving style the 2.0tdci certainly has enough power for most I regularly give mine a thrash and still get 35 around town and high 40s on a run. Hope this helps
post #3 of 15 Old 12-19-2008, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Yeah thanks lazyb. I think I will give this a miss. I certainly have to relearn my driving style that's for sure, having upgraded from my humble 1.25lt 9 year old fiesta! I'm travelling to Liverpool (from Rotherham) tomorrow so I am looking forward to seeing what MPG I get, as well as stretching it's legs properly for the first time since purchase!

post #4 of 15 Old 12-19-2008, 10:11 PM

I know the Tunit`s expensive,but I feel it`s worth the money.It`s good to be able to adjust the amount of `tune up` yourself.I have mine set on 7 now & get 42+ round town & up to 60 on a run..Be very careful of cheaper versions as the can bugger up the ecu..I`m very pleased with the Tunit and if it`s affordable to anyone,it`s well worth it.
Cheers
MM

post #5 of 15 Old 01-04-2009, 01:03 PM

Send a message via MSN to C-Maxer
Hi MetalMicky08,

I have had my C-Max for just under a week and love it so far. I too am still learning to adjust my driving style and due to the xmas hols have yet to see what MPG it will return on an average week of commuting up and down the motorway. Currently I am getting 35-39 round town. I must admit I have been using the power ).

My question for you is... What kind of performance gains can be acheived with the Tuneit? Did I read in one of your post that at the highest setting 200bhp is possible or was I just dreaming? What would the gain be at the lowest setting, then mid and finally at max?

I am seriously considering the more expensive Tuneit over the cheaper versions as it is adjustable. I also inten to fit a K&N this week.

I look forward to your response, Thanks in advance.

Martin.

53 Plate Ford C-Max 2.0 TDCi Ghia
post #6 of 15 Old 01-04-2009, 05:39 PM

I've been told the panel filter K&N for a diesel is not a lot of point

Richard
54 Plate 1.6 TDCI LX ~aspiring to be something else
post #7 of 15 Old 01-04-2009, 07:51 PM

Setting it on low (1) would only take it to say 145,mid would be 170.I have a K & N air filter too and it does give about 5 bhp more.I know it`s not much but it does help the engine to `breath` better.With my Tunit,I now have it on 7 & that`s plenty for round town.As I got the car used it did not come with traction so I do have to be careful in damp/wet conditions as torque steer is Very prominant.The main gain of the Tunit is when set to 9 (high) & I`m on a motorway.Say I was doing 60 in 6th,I only have to `brush the accel pedal & the in gear take off is brilliant.I have just come back from down south & had it turned up to 9 & even at 80 mph I was getting 58mpg.The Tunit can be set up by an insaller for you & they use a laptop to tune it to your sprcific requirments,although they do charge for this but I don`t know the cost but I`d think it would be costly - ish.Hope all this helps you.
MM

post #8 of 15 Old 01-04-2009, 08:42 PM

Send a message via MSN to C-Maxer
Thanks MM,

I think I have just been convinced that its worth paying the extra for the Tunit over the cheaper versions. I have experience of K&N's from previous motors and my bikes so I know they make a difference. Ultimately I want to get the absolute max MPG from my C-Max and also have the ability to blast it from time to time. I think like you I will use it as it comes and not bother with the set-up.

Your reply as indeed been very helpful and I would like to say thanks very much.

One more question, where did you get it from? was it direct from Tunit?

Martin.

53 Plate Ford C-Max 2.0 TDCi Ghia
post #9 of 15 Old 01-08-2009, 10:47 AM

You could always get the car remapped, around 300.
A k&n panel filterwill make very little on its own, but if you intend on getting a chip/remap and a free flowing exhaust then a panel filter will be of more benefit.
post #10 of 15 Old 01-09-2009, 12:15 PM

Yes,I ordered straight from Tunit.It was delivered in 5 days.There are fitting instructions & some pics (probably the ones I sent them!).If you get one & have any trouble fitting it,pm me & I can then call you & talk you through it.It took me under 10 mins.

MM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page