CMax Wheel Nuts - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 06-03-2009, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

Hello,

Does anyone know if there is a special tool to remove the wheel nuts from the cmax. The locking wheel nut was removed fine with the locking wheel nut key but the rest of the nuts seemed to have an outside cover. I couldn't remove these and there wasn't a tool in the boot to do this. Had to use a 19mm socket in the end but appears as though this has started to ruin the wheel nuts. When I finally did get the nuts removed, the shiny outside case of the wheel nuts could be removed. This seemed really bizarre! Do you know where I can get replacement caps for the wheel nuts? Help me please, I can't find anything about this problem.

Thanks

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-03-2009, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

Please let me know, if anyone else has had trouble removing wheel nuts and how they got round this problem.

Thanks.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-03-2009, 03:01 AM

If as I think you have the pressed "tin" covers protecting the wheel nuts, you should have with your jack & wheel brace a black plastic socket shaped device with a long finger shaped bit sticking out of the end, you press this over the wheel nut cover & grab hold of the protrusion &wiggle the cover off, exposing the wheel nut proper, I will get mine in the morning & try & post a picture of it for you. Rgds, Paul H.

post #4 of 11 Old 06-04-2009, 12:09 AM

Basic steel nuts so no problem in my case an ordinary 4 way spider does the trick

Richard
54 Plate 1.6 TDCI LX ~aspiring to be something else
post #5 of 11 Old 11-24-2009, 06:42 PM

Any more info on this?

Had a nightmare at the weekend after getting four new tyres fitted - one tyre blew literally two miles down the road as I was joining the motorway and, thanks to the nuts,I couldn't get the **** wheel off!!!

Didn't realise at first that the nuts had caps on until they came off when I tried undoing them. One of the capswas so badly chewed up that it just spun on the nut and got stuck in the wheel brace meaning I had to wait THREE HOURS (with my partner and our 18month old child in the car...)for the RAC to come out.

I would have thought that you had to take the caps off before undoing the nuts but the wheel brace does not fit the nut without the cap in place. The caps simply do not seem substantial enough to be left in place - proven by the fact that they are knackered!

Anyone else had problems?!

post #6 of 11 Old 11-24-2009, 06:54 PM

I too would be intrested in seeing how the plastic covers come off, as I tried to paint the calipers and could not get the wheels off!

Ford C-Max Zetec 1.6 TDCI - In Moondust Silver
post #7 of 11 Old 11-24-2009, 08:54 PM

Neither of mine have covers.....they all come undone with a 19mm socket.

08 1.8 Titanium C-Max *ST Styled* With Car PC Fitted
Previous:54 1.6TDCi LX Focus C-Max
post #8 of 11 Old 11-25-2009, 12:09 AM

I might try Ford next week see what they say if there is a tool to remove the nut covers.

Davy

Ford C-Max Zetec 1.6 TDCI - In Moondust Silver
post #9 of 11 Old 11-25-2009, 03:54 AM

What I want is proper nuts without cheap, nastycovers. Can't believe you have to leave them in place whilst doing/undoing the nuts. Once the caps are damaged you've had it unless you carry a socket set and lump hammer with you.

As soon as I get the chance I'm going to pop into my Ford dealer and ask them what the **** Ford think they are doing. Then there's the tyre place to tackle - what did they think they were doing by sending me on my way without first pointing out the problem with the nuts? They either caused the damage to the caps themselves or it was already there, either way they would have had problems removing and/or tightening the nuts so have no excuse for not saying something.Edited by: Raif
post #10 of 11 Old 11-25-2009, 02:25 PM

I've got a spare set of wheel nuts and can confirm that the cover doesn't come off. I've got the spare set because I had to replace a damaged wheel and the original nuts are still in use with no damage. I also had a slow puncture and there was no problem removing the wheel nuts although the 'caps' have a very slight movement.

The nuts that came with my replacement wheel have the following part numbers:-

5 x 81EB1K024AB, Ventil H91SX1711AA, 104.0105.161

just in case anyone needs to order a spare set.

Ste

2008 1.8 Flexifuel Titanium Panther Black - Front & rear parking sensors - Panoramic roof - Cruise control - Bluetooth/Voice control - Privacy glass - Sony audio 6 disc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page