Can ice cause problems under the car? - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 12-19-2010, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Hi everyone.

Had an epic drive from Newbury to Cheshire yesterday, only took 13 hours!!!

I was forced to drive through a deep snow drift at one point meaning the lower half of the front grille became a make shift snow plough! The temperature dropped to -10 on the motorway so the snow that I couldn't reach to dig away underneath has frozen solid.

It now sounds like the exhaust is blowing at the front somewhere making a deep rumbling vibration at around 3000rpm. It could just be that the exhaust is blowing but it seems to vibrate more than a normal blow. Is there anything that anyone knows of that can cause that noise if it's clogged with ice and if so the best way to defrost it without damaging anything.

It's a 2007 Focus C-Max just before they dropped the Focus and it became just C-Max. 1.6 petrol ZETEC (115ps).

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

John.

2007 Ford Focus C-Max 1.6 (115ps)Zetec.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-19-2010, 10:29 PM

it could be snow either stuck round the exaust housing that has turned to ice or the same thing could have happened round the engine mounts on the chassis. best way to get it off is probably to get the car indoors (somewhere warm preferably as this will help if it is this problem) and just slowly heat the room up and melt the snow/ice. if you cant get the car indoors you can get under car heaters designed for keeping the engine block warm while you are parked for easier starting when cold outside. just put this a bit further under the car and that should work.

just for some extra info how fast did you drive through the snow drift and where there any large jolts/tugs at the car whilst going through it.

not to sure what the "blowing" could be but if there was any jolts/tugs at the car while driving i have an idea to what it could be but you didn't mention anything about it in the report

2006 1.6 tdci(110) Ghia Magnum Grey
post #3 of 5 Old 12-19-2010, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for that, I have crawled under to dig away the softer slushy stuff but there is still lots of solid ice. On driving her today I was thinking that it was less of a blowing sound and more of a grumbling air box sound under load. Can the air intake get packed with snow perhaps? I have run out of light to investigate further tonight.

There was no tugging or jolting in the snow drift, I was only doing 5 or 10 MPH. Although I noticed a bit of a jolt when releasing the clutch after shifting to 2nd this afternoon, I just put it down to driver error due to cold feet but now you have me thinking.

2007 Ford Focus C-Max 1.6 (115ps)Zetec.

post #4 of 5 Old 12-20-2010, 02:27 AM

There isn't anything hanging down under the car that can clog. The air intake is high up on cmax. If the engine was running for 13 hours, the engine bay would be plenty warm enough to melt ice away. Most likely cause of the exhaust noise us the exhaust section joints have come away slightly due to the exhaust dragging on snow.

Ad to dodgy gear shift, that's normal in the cold, the oil in the gearbox gets much thicker when it gets cold, it'll free up after a while driving.

Best solution I've found for cold starts is to start the car and leave it running 5 mins before you leave. I use spare key to lock the doors and wait inside. Leave blowers off. Then get in and the engine will be warm, turn on heater blowers for instant hot air. Off you go.

Ford test in much colder climates than we get and sell similar cars on a lot more hostile places. It'll be fine!

2005 Focus C-Max 1.8 Petrol Ghia + Sony 6 disc, 2007 tail lights, Led bulbs all over and HID front fogs.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-20-2010, 04:45 AM

Garage
A german spec car works porly in norway

It have no auxilary heaters, it takes forever to get car warm.

A "normal" diesel engine normaly runs about 60 degres celsius.
All cars delivered in norway have Webasto/Ebersprecher auxilary heater that help get the engine hot.

C-max 2.0 TDCi Series 45

Some modified
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page