A bit peeved - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 05-22-2010, 05:09 AM Thread Starter

I bought my c-max 3 weeks ago from Stratstone BMW (dont worry we wont treat you different because its not a BMW).

Well first they could not tax it because it had previuosly been registered as a disabled vehicle, results 3 day wait for car.

Then the sat nav/cd/radio/phone would not work, so they had it back for a day to take it to Arnold Clark who reset the system.

Today the engine management warning light came on so back to stratstone who couldnt fix it, took it up to Arnold Clark who could fix it, turns out it needed a fueladditive top up.

Also found out that this "full service history car" has missed a service and, although stamped, had a standard service instead of the correct service.

Fortunately I took the car to a local garage last Sunday and had an oil flush, change and new filter because the oil looked like it had been in a chip shop fire since the invention of steam.

Had thought about taking car back under sales of good act and mutter incantations like "not fit for", "mis-sold" etc but fact is I like this actual car given the trim levels, extras etc and the car actually drives very good and does not appear to have suffered due to its previous neglect.

Intersted in anybodies views.

Cheers Mike

2006 2.0 TDCi Ghia Panther Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-22-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchubs3
I bought my c-max 3 weeks ago from Stratstone BMW (dont worry we wont treat you different because its not a BMW).

Today the engine management warning light came on so back to stratstone who couldnt fix it, took it up to Arnold Clark who could fix it, turns out it needed a fueladditive top up.

Also found out that this "full service history car" has missed a service and, although stamped, had a standard service instead of the correct service.

Fortunately I took the car to a local garage last Sunday and had an oil flush, change and new filter because the oil looked like it had been in a chip shop fire since the invention of steam.

Mike,
I don't understand the 'fuel additive' thing -I thought I knew a fair bit about cars but have not heard of this.
How do you knowthe car didn't have the correct service? . Was that done at a Ford dealer?
Have you seen the invoice for the service? You could always ring the garage who did the service and confirm what was done - they will normally have a computerised record. A couple of years ago I bought an MX5 for my daughter and before doing the deal rang the garage that last serviced it and found out that they had within the previous 3 months changed the cam belt. This was a 300+ job that was due on the car because of its mileage , so it was a big factor in choosing the car.
I don't know what experience you have of diesel cars, but the oil is always black within a few miles of oil change and you haven't indicated the mileage the car has covered since service.
From memory the car at 3 years old should have either been serviced every 12,500 miles or annually.
What mileage has your car done?
What sort of warranty did you get with it?
Sorry to bombard you with questions, butI am just checking to see if the car was missold or whether you justoverlooked some of its shortcomings.

57 Titanium 1.6 110 DPF, X Sport pack, panoramic roof,Sony 6 CD changer with voice control bluetooth.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-22-2010, 11:32 PM

Hello there,

Know what you mean about the road tax thing, had this happen to me on my last car.

I too am puzzled about the fuel additive thing, never heard of that one before!

Davy

Ford C-Max Zetec 1.6 TDCI - In Moondust Silver

post #4 of 7 Old 05-23-2010, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

Ollies Grandad
I found out because my engine management warning light came on. When it went to ford they told me that this should have been topped up at the last service.

The following is from the service guides on this website:
Diesel particulate filter additive:

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%">

<TD =no-right-border width="38.5%" colSpan=3>Diesel particulate filter additive
<TD =full-border align=left>Refill with EOLYS176 and reset according to TIS service instructions - 1.6/2.0 Duratorq-TDCi with Stage V/EURO IV Emission only, if applicableRefill with EOLYS176 and reset according to TIS service instructions - 1.6/2.0 Duratorq-TDCi with Stage V/EURO IV Emission only, if applicable,

As all of the service had been marked in the book by this branch, soI asked them to look on their computer and found that the car has missed a service, if it was serviced anywhere else it isnt stamped. So I have to assume the worst. They also told me the last owner had instructed them to carry out the basic service only rather than the extended service, so I now feel that I have a rather neglected car.

The car had only done 1400 miles since the service and the oil was like treacle. I have driven diesel cars on and off for around 15 years and the only time I have ever had a dipstick come out with black treacle on was on an old citreon thatI was getting rid of and didnt bother with the service. I think that the car has missed a service and done 23000 between services. The oil has been changed and there has been so much sludge in the sump that it has immediately mixed with the oil and gone very thisk. I have dipped the car again yesterday and although it has gone black very quick, it still has a translucent edge to the oil.
I will probably do another flush and oil change in about 3 months just to be safe.
For the record my last car (SAAB 9-3 TDI) kept the oil reasnably golden for about 3-4 months before discolouring.
Just as a comparison I dipped the oile in my wifes car (ford Fusion 1.4TDCi), this is 3 months old and now has 1400 miles on, the oil is hardly discoloured.

Re your other questions it has done 49000 miles, had 3 services and when I asked the selling dealer if the car had a full service history he told me yes and it has just been serviced.
I didnt take out the extended waranty becuase of the cost, but they have garaunteed the car for 90 days and so far had to pay ford twice, once to carry out the repair on Friday and they had to have the radio/satnav/cd/bluetooth unit reset.

2006 2.0 TDCi Ghia Panther Black
post #5 of 7 Old 05-23-2010, 09:13 PM

The additive should of lasted upto 75,000 miles (mine made 110,000!) and as for the other parts well perhaps it is bad luck but at least they have sorted those issues out at no cost to you.
If you feel unhappy then you could try and take the car but it seems that you have sorted most issues out for which they have obliged.
Doing the oil change was a good start, at least you know that was done and perhaps you should change the air filter which costs around 5 - 8fromcar factors. At least then you know the basics have been sorted.
Regarding the warranty, you can always buy one from the internet. Tesco do one along with the AA, RAC and from warranty direct. Just sit down with a note pad, cup of tea and an afternoon on the net!
post #6 of 7 Old 05-23-2010, 11:20 PM

I would be extremely concerned about this vehicle. The fact that it was sold to you allegedly with a full service history is clearly a lie and the vehicle is seemingly not as described.
Iwould be worried that this vehicle has gone 23,000 miles without an oil change, concerned that the DPF filter which has a service interval of 75000 miles needs replenishing.
How in view of the patchy history do you know the vehicle has only covered 49,000 miles and hasn't been clocked?
I would be talking to Stratstone BMW big time and asking for my money back - I am sure BMW wouldn't like to hear that one of their dealershipps are misdescribing used cars on a BMW dealership forecourt.
Likewise I would think your local trading standards would very much like to be involved with an alleged prestige car dealer misselling vehicles.
This car sounds like it should have ben put to auction and not retailed.
I think unless you act swiftly you are going to be stuck with a vehicle which will give you much heartache and eventually cost you a lot more money.
I alsosuspect that as the car was retailed from a BMW dealer you probably paid top dollar for it?
I spent 30 years in the police and heard these sort of stories on a regular basis. My advice always was to contact the dealer and point out the vehicle was missold , ask for a refund. If they refuse point out that by telling you the vehicle had a full service history when it clearly hasn't they have ommitted an offence under The Sale of Goods Act and that you will be contacting trading Standards and BMW UK.
Here is some info on Sale of Goods Act:-

If you buy a product that turns out to be faulty, you can choose to 'reject' it: give it back and get your money back. However, the law gives you only a 'reasonable' time to do this – what is reasonable depends on the product and how obvious the fault is. However, even with something like a car, you usually haveno more than three to four weeks from when you receive it to reject it.

When you buy goods you enter into a contract with the seller of those goods. Under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 goods must be:

'as described',
'of satisfactory quality', and
'fit for purpose' – this means both their everyday purpose, and also any specific purpose that you agreed with the seller (for example, if you specifically asked for a printer that would be compatible with your computer).
If your claim is about a problem that arises within six months of buying the product, it's up to the retailer to prove that the goods were fit for purpose – or 'as described' – when it sold them. It is also responsible for proving that the problem was caused by you (for example, because you had an accident with the item that damaged it). Beyond six months, it's up to you to prove that the problem was the retailer's.

Nuff said?

57 Titanium 1.6 110 DPF, X Sport pack, panoramic roof,Sony 6 CD changer with voice control bluetooth.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-24-2010, 01:05 AM

I bought mine from the Car Superstore in Northampton, like yours mine was a ex mobility vehicle, but so that i could take it away the day i bought it i had to go the nearestDVLA office which luckily there is one in Northampton but What a carry on we had.
I also bought an extended warranty when purchasing the vehicle, which helped as I had only had the car a few weeks when the power steering went and Car Superstore said it was covered by RAC Extended warranty & RAC said it was covered by Car Superstore, nobody wanted to take on the responsibility of repairing it without arguments from me & my local garage.

Touch wood she is running great now though !!

2006 1.6 LX Tonic Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page