Bike racks ??? - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 02-08-2009, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

I need to buy a rear bike rack for my Cmax Ghia, has anyone got any experience with these good or bad??, ones to buy or avoid??. want to spend as little as possible really and dont want the hassle of putting them on the roof, but equally want to make sure the bikes dont fall off when on the motorway[img]smileys/smiley3.gif[/img].

thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-08-2009, 01:39 PM

Hi, I have a Witter that bolts to the tow ball its brilliant but only any good if you have a tow bar. I think i saw a thread on here about what racks are suitable try the search option. I remember somebody saying you need to be careful because of the plastic rear spoiler.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-08-2009, 01:52 PM

On the discount ford parts website, there is a bike carrier that fits on top of the roof bars you can buy and avoid the rear bike hooks.
Note the link to it below is for the pre 2007 version but have a loom around for the newer version.
Link:
http://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/cmax...er_kit_799.htm

post #4 of 8 Old 02-08-2009, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the replys, it was ideally a rear fitting one I wanted, but dont have a towbar, and adding one would make it a expensive option. But I also was worried about the rear spoiler[img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]
post #5 of 8 Old 02-10-2009, 10:08 PM

Bywater:

I assume you're carrying passengers? If it's just two people then take the back seats out and get internal racks. Will also work with one bike & one rear seat passenger.

Would advise against back-racks in wet weather as your bikes will spend their life in a fine spray that will get into everything, and corrode steel parts that aren't lubricated or painted.

post #6 of 8 Old 02-10-2009, 10:11 PM

Oh, and we've had both back-racks and roof systems from Thule. No probs with either as long as you follow the manual.

Try roofbox.co.uk
post #7 of 8 Old 02-11-2009, 06:24 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the replys, unfortuntely most the time i will be carrying bikes i will have a full car, so it has to be a rear rack i'm afraid. was there a particular rear model rack that you used, its just that most racks say suitable for most veichles which is a bit on the genera side!!!

thanks again

post #8 of 8 Old 02-18-2009, 09:34 PM

FWIW we've had a Thule 9103/4, but to emphasise *has never been used on a C-Max* but on our other cars.

I'd try to avoid ones that rely on straps going under the back of the car - the Thule one above meant we could open the boot without taking the racks off.

Why not give a few companies a ring. Halfords can get things in and they should have a decent returns policy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page