Alloy Wheel Repair - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 10-25-2011, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Decided to get my 17" alloys repaired after I had a argument with a very high kerb in our local car park caused by a lady driver backing out without looking. Used Chips Away who did an excellent job at a very reasonable price they look like new. Still love my Cmax after 2 years of ownership.
Can't wait till the new ones start coming through at reasonable prices onto the used market.

Ford C Max 2008 1.8ltr Titanium
with 17\" alloys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-25-2011, 09:00 AM

Send a message via MSN to Big Budgie
We have recently bought a second hand set of (Ex C5) alloys for my sons Xsara for putting new tyres on for next summer. I got them for a song, but, out of the 5, 2 are perfect, 2 are slightly kerbed on the rim for between 4 and 6 inches and 2 have damage to the paint finish due to balance weights. There are "Alloy repair kits" available on ebay and I was wondering if anyone had used any of them (or similar) and what degree of success they had with them. Thanks in advance!

Cheers Colin

2008 2.0 TDCi Zetec
post #3 of 6 Old 10-25-2011, 09:41 AM

I think a first worthwhil check before you put tyres on might be a "spin up" on a tyre balance machine just to see what state they are in.
I previously had a set of alloys for a cavalier that looked OK but just couldn't be balanced so had to be changed for a set of steel

Richard
54 Plate 1.6 TDCI LX ~aspiring to be something else

post #4 of 6 Old 10-25-2011, 09:55 AM

The kerbing is VERY slight, just surface scuffing really, on the very edge of the rim flange where the balance weights clip. They actually had tyres fitted when I saw them, but they were too big for the Xsara so the guy took them off and sold them separately. Other than that, and the VERY localised damage to the paint where the weights have been, they're perfect. I'll get my local garage to give them a whiz just to be sure though. I've fixed up and re-sprayed damaged wheel trims in the past, so it can't be that different! Might be a nice wee job for the winter months!

2008 2.0 TDCi Zetec
post #5 of 6 Old 10-25-2011, 10:18 AM

I've done and sprayed ordinary steel wheels just as you would do ordinary panels and presumably alloys can be done in a similar way if you use something like aluminium "etch primer" to start with

Do remember to cover up the tapers where the wheel nuts sit if painting

Richard
54 Plate 1.6 TDCI LX ~aspiring to be something else
post #6 of 6 Old 10-25-2011, 10:50 AM

Most alloys these days are already painted, so other than any bare bits, (I don't intend to rub THAT hard with the wet & dry) they shouldn't need etch. Last set of Alloys I re-furbed were on My JPS Capri when I was a callow youth (1980!!!). They were Fords "RS" alloys of the day and were polished & laquered with areas of black & gold paint. Each one took me a whole day to do, strip, polish, re-paint & laquer! They looked spectacular when I'd finished though! I actually remember polishing the bare alloy parts with "Brillo" pads. Came up a treat! Wish I still had that car! (Wish I was still that young!) I saw one recently in a classics mag and it really took me back! Good point about the Tapers! I'll try to remember! BTW, got all the nuts and the locking thingies as well!

2008 2.0 TDCi Zetec
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page