2005 58 C-Max 2.0i auto - Pulling off and MPG - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 03-26-2012, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

2005 58 C-Max 2.0i auto - Pulling off and MPG

Hope you guys can help me!

My wife has just got a C-Max 2.0 petrol auto. When you pull off it's so violent that you always get a 'chirp' from the tyres! To put it in perspective my wife is used to driving my car - a BMW 335i auto i.e 3.0 Twin turbo - so she's used to power, which the C Max hasn't got any (relative) once you are going! Is this normal - the way it pulls off?

Also the MPG is 27 MPG would you expect this from a 2.0 auto C-Max, again my BM averages over 32?

Sorry title should read 2008/58

Last edited by nj2810; 03-26-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-29-2012, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

From the lack of a reply can I take it that this abrupt / dangerous pull off from rest is not normal?
post #3 of 9 Old 03-29-2012, 01:00 PM

Send a message via MSN to Big Budgie
Is that MPG worked out the "proper" way, or do you believe the lying toad that lives in your dashboard and masquerades as a "trip computer"? 27 mpg is what I would expect from a 2.0 petrol auto, especially if it's doing a lot of stop/start which is why it's an auto I suspect. Is the BMW used for longer runs perhaps? Might be an idea to work out the actual consumption (of both) "the old fashioned way". My 2.0TDCi tells me it's doing 43.5 on the "toad" but when I work it out it's nearer 46.5. OK by me! I'm afraid I can't tell you how the auto should behave. I've never driven one seeing as I still have a left leg! LOL!

2008 2.0 TDCi Zetec

Last edited by Big Budgie; 03-29-2012 at 01:03 PM.

post #4 of 9 Old 03-29-2012, 08:44 PM

I have a left leg but the bit where it all joins up to my mainframe (spine) is a bit knackered so I drive a 2.0L TDCI auto.......)))) Although when its a bit cold it can grab very slightly but not enough to give the symptoms you describe. How many miles has it got on the clock?

BB I know what you mean about the trip comfuser it claims that around town my 2012 C-Max is doing 23mpg !! It must have a magic tank because it seems not to run out of diesel as fast as the trip says it should.......

2012 C-Max 2.0TDCI Titanium Auto with city pack and 18\" rims
Ink Blue metalic
post #5 of 9 Old 03-29-2012, 09:48 PM

Yes! That "Trip Computer" or pet "toad", is more of a "confuser" right enough! By my own reckoning things are as follows:
  1. The Tank holds 53 litres. Fact!
  2. From my "sums" I get 46 MPG (Usually) which is 10.1+ miles/litre.
  3. My range, in that case is 530 miles (500 Safely)
Why then does the "toad" keep telling me my maximum range until I refill is 460 miles, just after I have filled up?

Why, also, does it try to convince me that I'm about to run out when I know I won't, Gauge on the stop, Low fuel light on etc and if I then go to fill up the most I have EVER managed to get in (with a struggle) is 48 litres, usually about 42! It is a BIG disappointment to me that the tank is so small. My previous car, a Picasso, held 60 litres and the Xantia before that held 65. Driven carefully I reckoned I could get from Aberdeen to South Yorks AND BACK (720 miles) without a refill (theoretically!) as that car would better 55 on that run! Hopefully the CMax will too!
I have discovered that it is less of a liar if it is reset after every fill, putting in a 10 "squirt" seems to confuse the poor thing even more, probably because it's not actually enough to register!

Actually wish I had an Auto right now as I've just had my left hip replaced 2 weeks ago and have another 3 to 4 to go before I'll be allowed to drive again. If I'd had an auto the surgeon said it would have been less, so they've actually got their place! To be fair, the modern ones aren't nearly so bad in the fuel stakes as the old "slush" boxes used to be, and some are actually quite pleasant and sporty. I was most impressed with my mates Audi A3 TDi with the DGS 'box fitted. I hear Fords "Powershift" is claimed to be almost as good.

2008 2.0 TDCi Zetec
post #6 of 9 Old 04-02-2012, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

MPG is actual, trip computer (on C-max) reads about 10% over.

Auto on my BMW is stunning - 6 speed with paddle shift, automatically blips the throttle to match downshifts in sport mode. Also it changes gear quicker than any manual, has lower emissions than a manual and does more miles to the gallon. It has five mini torque convertors, rather than one large one!

The auto on the c-max is a 4 speed and slushy. Changes gear smoothly but needs written permission to change down quickly - I'd say about 15 years behind the times!

Latest BMW (ZF) auto box has 8 gears and is really incredibly smooth and very fast (it will kick down through multiple gears), its actually better the the BMW DCT (Dual Clutch Transmission) that cars like the M3 have. Manuals they've been obsolete for at least 4 to 5 years!

C-max at dealer today, see what they say when I collect!
post #7 of 9 Old 04-02-2012, 03:56 PM

Well! You've answered your own question then. The old fashioned gearbox in the Cmax is the culprit. It truly is a case of "you get what you pay for" and it's never truer than with good quality motors. If BMW made a front wheel drive car I could actually get in and out of easily, I might consider having one! They're not much use here in Shetland when the white stuff is on the ground.

2008 2.0 TDCi Zetec
post #8 of 9 Old 04-03-2012, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

I put winter tyres on my 335i, and the year before last went straight past a Honda CRV with all four wheels spinning uselessly without any problem!

Always seemed strange to me that for 330 + days in a year people put up with horrible understeer just for the few days a year that FWDs are marginally better but still way behind a car with winter tyres!
post #9 of 9 Old 04-03-2012, 05:17 PM

Totally agree about winter tyres! I had a Citroen Picasso last winter (2010-2011) and had Toyo Snowprox on all four wheels. I was heading for town one day and came up behind a nearly new Discovery doing about 25mph. The roads were "tracked" with ridges of snow between the wheeltracks and another in the centre. I overtook him and carried on at 40-45 which I had been doing before. Next I knew he's right behind me doing the same speed. I guess he was miffed at being overtaken by a "pleb" in a normal car. Next thing I saw was headlights-taillights-headlights-taillights......etc! I just carried on and left him to it! On the way back it was still there, sticking through a fence! There was a lovely set of Alloy wheels and low profile tyres on it!
I don't get what you mean about putting up with "horrible" understeer, I've had both rear and (mostly) front drive cars and far prefer the front drivers. I'm not an overly slow driver but I have to say I've never noticed the trait in any car I've ever had. The last rear drive car I had was a Mk2 Capri, between 1978 and 1981. I had Goodyear Grand Prix S 185/70X13 tyres on that and it was quite good in the snow. We had a very snowy winter up here that year and it never got stuck once.

2008 2.0 TDCi Zetec
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page