2004 CMax v 2009 C Max - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 Old 05-02-2010, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

For anyone interested in a comparison I have recently moved on from my 2004 1.6 TDCi LX with 72k miles to a 2009 1.8 TDCi Zetec just 2k miles,a channel island import via a local ford dealer with a service franchise (but not a sales franchise).Some of the differences surprised me.

The 1.8 seems to be put together noticably better,even allowing for the fact it is nearly new as compared to a 72k mile car.No squeaks or rattles at all so far which certainly cant be said for the 1.6 when I first got it.

The figures on paper for the 2 engines suggested I would notice little difference in performance but suffer a drop in economy.In practice it is the opposite-there is noticably better acceleration and economy seems about the same-for mixed motoring including a 20mile journey to and from work weekdays in traffic about 47-48 mpg.

I've seen some reports suggesting the 1.8 is noisier.Dont think so though it has a slightly different sound-once on a run and in 5th if anything it is a little quieter.Under the bonnet there does seem to be a much bigger cover on the engine which may explain why.

The slight lag in acceleration on moving off is still there-you get used to it but still have to watch out sometimes e.g. when trying to pull away quickly at a roundabout.keep those revs up!

One strange thing-there seems to be slightly less room in the drivers footwell.When stretching out my left foot I can catch the clutch pedal with the inside of my shoe.Odd.Perhaps I'm imagining it?Is the centre console slightly bigger?

All in all the latest version is a worthy improvment on the earlier version to my mind building on all the good points and hopefully sorting out all the early niggles.Time will tell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page