2004 2.0 TDCI-Oil in Water! - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 12-16-2011, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Hi. I am really starting to panic. I have purchased the vehicle knowing that a new oil cooler was fitted, due to oil in the header tank. The car I purchased had to go back to the garage as it was leaking coolant like a sieve, as well as noisey transmission (turned out flywheel was breaking up). Vehicle was returned to me today by garage who informed me that the system had been flushed several times with no problems and had no water loss. My father in law took a look and informed me that there was a build up in the reservoir again and flushed it through 3 times. He went back to the car this evening and found fresh black oil in the header tank again! I just don't know what to do-I know that the garage needs to know it is still not right but am getting worried, as they have just done clutch and flywheel for us and I am now fearing the head gasket could be on it's way out. This car is just such a major headache and when I think it is sorted it is not! Please can I have any suggestions or advice please Seagull269
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-17-2011, 07:01 AM

Send a message via MSN to Big Budgie
It is possible that some remaining oil is still making its way out of nooks and crannies in the cooling system. When the engine is running, the oil pressure is much higher than the water pressure, and any leakage will be of oil into the water. Once the engine has reached operating temperature, the water system is also under pressure and this pressure will persist for some time after the engine is stopped. During this time, when there is zero oil pressure, leakage of water can take place into the oil and will eventually find its way into the sump. Small amounts of water will evaporate and vanish through the engine breather when the engine is running, Larger amounts can lead to emulsification of the oil and will be noticeable. A possible sign of water in the oil is "mayonnaise" on the filler cap. Water droplets may also be present.
In order to simulate this, you can carry out a pressure test on the water system with a readily available test kit. They are a bit pricey though, but it may be possible to hire (or borrow) one from a friendly garage or hire facility. Drop the oil out of the engine and leave it with the pressure on the engine and a container under the sump to catch any drips that may appear.Any external leakage will also be noticeable.

2008 2.0 TDCi Zetec
post #3 of 5 Old 12-17-2011, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Have spoken to garage today. They are now aware that there is still a problem. They have said that they cannot spend any more money out on the car but we have the 3 month warranty in place but I am worried the suspected head gasket will exceed the claim value :-(

Does anyone know the book time for a head gasket replacement on 2004 2.0 TDCI?

There is also a wind/fan like noise that is occuring have spoken to our local Ford garage who are pretty certain there is a fracture on one of the turbo hoses.

I would be grateful for any help with regards to a book time so I know what to expect and atthe right labour rate I am hoping that the work could still be carried out.

Regards

Seagull269

post #4 of 5 Old 12-17-2011, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Have spoken to garage today. They are now aware that there is still a problem,after being flushed out again! They have said that they cannot spend any more money out on the car but we have the 3 month warranty in place but I am worried the suspected head gasket will exceed the claim value :-(

Does anyone know the book time for a head gasket replacement on 2004 2.0 TDCI?

There is also a wind/fan like noise that is occuring have spokento our local Ford garage who are pretty certain there is a fracture on one of the turbo hoses.

I would be grateful for any help with regards to a book time so I know what to expect and atthe right labour rate I am hoping that the work could still be carried out.

Regards

Seagull269
post #5 of 5 Old 12-17-2011, 05:16 PM

If they were supposed to have fixed any problems regarding oil / water mixing before you bought it and they have attempted to fix those that they hadn't (which are still apparently present) then I would suggest that it might be best to seek a refund under the terms of the Sale of Goods Act

Richard
54 Plate 1.6 TDCI LX ~aspiring to be something else
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page